BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Girl Stig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Gintani DCT Tune Review – Post track day

Hey guys,

This past weekend I went to track day at Buttonwillow Raceway with Speed District and wanted to give some input I had after getting my cars DCT tuned.

Unlike a lot of members on here, my mod list is at a snail's pace since I first bought her. I’ve only done light cosmetics of LCI taillights, competition wheels, etc. to get her away from looking like a pre LCI. With currently being semi happy with the appearance of where she is at so far, my future mods will be more performance driven.

While at track I met with Alex from Gintani. He suggested to do a DCT tune since I do frequently track my car at such events and plan to continue in the future.

I did the first run on track to get my bearings back before starting the tune. After the first run, Alex then started with the programing himself. By the time the next 2 groups finished and my group was on grid, he was done.

Right off the bat from using launch control upon taking off, I noticed the car was much more responsive. When coming up to the sharper turns, the down shifts were smoother. Throughout the run whether it was a light or full acceleration, the car was touchier compared to before.

Even while driving back home in D mode, the cars shifting was not only smoother but was significantly faster in shifting. This is where I saw the biggest improvement because I drive my car in D mode more than anything unless I am on the track. My biggest complaint I had with the DCT gearbox was how jerky and clunky it felt at times. But with the Gintani tune, there is no clutch slip or lag compared to what I was experiencing with it before. It responds immediately and performs the way this gearbox should.

I daily this car and being completely honest I drive like a grandma unless it’s at car events like this past weekend. So with that said, I notice the difference in both regular and aggressive driving.

All in all, I am very happy with the tune in both driving aspects I experience with this car. Even more, Alex was patient in answering the retarded questions I asked upon learning more about the tune. I’m greatly looking forward to getting the ECU flash from them next so I’ll be sure to write another review on here soon.

2008 E92 M3 Coupe | DCT | AW | Black Novillo | Carbon Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Saw your car at Buttonwillow this weekend and I thought it looked brand new for how well you take care of her - I was in another alpine white m3 a little bit further up the paddock. Was particularly amused by your Neverbeen track sticker

The DCT tune makes a night and day difference no? No jerkiness or shuddering at slow speeds and lightning fast at the track. I use Mike Benvo's tune and can say it made a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Isn't this the BMW GTS DCT tune ?
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Girl Stig
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Saw your car at Buttonwillow this weekend and I thought it looked brand new for how well you take care of her - I was in another alpine white m3 a little bit further up the paddock. Was particularly amused by your Neverbeen track sticker

The DCT tune makes a night and day difference no? No jerkiness or shuddering at slow speeds and lightning fast at the track. I use Mike Benvo's tune and can say it made a huge difference.
Oh were you the one next to the mustang? With the carbon roof and spoiler right?

Thank you!! I need to eventually repaint the front bumper and replace the windshield but I think she can last a couple more track days before I do.

Haha once I do euro delivery in the future I can put on the regular Nurburgring sticker

It really does!!! I should of gotten this tune a long time ago if I knew how much better the car would respond. But glad to hear you like Mike Benvo's tune. Did you get your ECU tuned also?

Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Girl Stig
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Negative, let me check with Alex on the differences of each though.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Stig View Post
Negative, let me check with Alex on the differences of each though.
all tuners have the same gts dct tune to flash from.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Sales@Gintani.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
all tuners have the same gts dct tune to flash from.
Hey guys, no this is a custom transmission file that's in Michelle's car. We can do a GTS file for people as well which is a bit more generic as well. Different clamp-load pressure, more aggressive shifting, etc. Feel free to give the shop a call if you have any more questions

Glad you're enjoying the car, Michelle!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh were you the one next to the mustang? With the carbon roof and spoiler right?

Thank you!! I need to eventually repaint the front bumper and replace the windshield but I think she can last a couple more track days before I do.

Haha once I do euro delivery in the future I can put on the regular Nurburgring sticker

It really does!!! I should of gotten this tune a long time ago if I knew how much better the car would respond. But glad to hear you like Mike Benvo's tune. Did you get your ECU tuned also?
Yep, that was me! I hear you on the windshield - I recently replaced mine, and it's already pitted up with rocks, and I had to get a chip sealed too, just two weeks after replacing it ><.

Yep, have BPM's stage 2 tune to go with my Akrapovic evolution exhaust. It's fantastic and was worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Girl Stig
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Gintani.com View Post
Hey guys, no this is a custom transmission file that's in Michelle's car. We can do a GTS file for people as well which is a bit more generic as well. Different clamp-load pressure, more aggressive shifting, etc. Feel free to give the shop a call if you have any more questions

Thank you again!!

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
Girl Stig
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that was me! I hear you on the windshield - I recently replaced mine, and it's already pitted up with rocks, and I had to get a chip sealed too, just two weeks after replacing it ><.

Yep, have BPM's stage 2 tune to go with my Akrapovic evolution exhaust. It's fantastic and was worth the money.
Ah the struggle of track right lol would you ever consider getting the clear bra or film for the windshield? I'm thinking of doing it but still looking into companies.

Ugh, jealous you have Akra exhaust. It sounds sooo good!! But sooo expensive

Are you going on the 20th next month?

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah the struggle of track right lol would you ever consider getting the clear bra or film for the windshield? I'm thinking of doing it but still looking into companies.

Ugh, jealous you have Akra exhaust. It sounds sooo good!! But sooo expensive

Are you going on the 20th next month?
Yep, I will be driving down for Willow Springs for sure on the 20th, just have to sign up while it's still early.

I didn't realize it was possible to get something like that for the windshield - I just assumed you had to deal with it - brand new windshield already has pitting and scarring from driving it since May - 15k miles or so.

Yeah, the akra exhaust was well worth it - I bought it from another forum member a while ago for $3000. I had to jump on it for that price!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Gintani.com View Post

Just curious what does your file do that the GTS DCT tune doesn't? Because the GTS file does the stuff you mention. Thx.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
Girl Stig
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I will be driving down for Willow Springs for sure on the 20th, just have to sign up while it's still early.

I didn't realize it was possible to get something like that for the windshield - I just assumed you had to deal with it - brand new windshield already has pitting and scarring from driving it since May - 15k miles or so.

Yeah, the akra exhaust was well worth it - I bought it from another forum member a while ago for $3000. I had to jump on it for that price!
Okay cool I'll defintiely see you next month then!

Right, I didn't know until my boss went through a mobile tint company when he got his car done. They did a really good job and can't even tell its on so I'll ask him for the name of the company when he comes in.

Yea I don't blame you for jumping on it, thats a really good price! I want to compare gintani's and your akra to see the difference.

Appreciate 0