BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

06-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #45
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

WOW this is a funny thread.
      06-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #46
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
I love my E90 M3 but will always have a soft spot for my 07 STI, it's just such a forgiving car and reliable as hell, even at Stage 2. Would have loved to upgrade the turbo on that thing to a GT30 or GT35. But, I wanted to get rid of the boy racer look and all of the attention (ricers and cops).

Plus, the wife is a LOT happier with the M3. Muuuuuch better ride than the STI, she absolutely hated all of the bumps.
60% the reason I'm looking tonged out of this evo and into an M3. I had an 04 wrx then STi so i also have a soft spot for em.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #47
Kasé Zomé
Captain
Rep
Drives: faster than my demons can fly

Stock for stock, an Evo X will eat up an STi in almost every quantitative performance test (and most qualitative ones too). I came off an '08 Evo X MR (had it for 3 years) into my E90 M3 and they are worlds apart. I say test drive all 3 back to back (same day) then make your decision.

If you can "easily" afford an M3, then get one and slap on an ESS blower kit... you'll never have to look over your shoulder for 99.999% of the STis behind you.
      06-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #48
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

If you've owned a BMW or other high-quality European car, forget the STi. It's built like utter garbage. My 09's interior was falling apart at 9,000km. They have bus-sized steering wheels, horrible steering feel, and a peaky, fragile engine. Also the paint is such garbage that the first mod 99% of people do is massive RA mudflaps.

Just search up how many people have tuned their STi to Stage 2 (often with an OTS tune.. suicide IMO) and had the engine blow up because they did too many "in-gear" pulls up a hill or something.. it's a joke. Made me scared enough to ditch my car at 11,000km. Loved the AWD system though. Oh well.. it's not worth it one bit IMO.. for the odd time you want "snow or gravel" performance..

That said, if you're looking for bargain basement AWD performance with a warranty (sort of) and you don't plan on pushing it past Stage 1, I'd just get an Evo not an STi.

The Subaru modding community is delusional. They spend insane amounts of money modifying their cars to be hardcore performance vehicles when they probably just should have bought an actual performance vehicle (or at least cut down on the costs by starting with an Evo).
      06-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #49
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
If you've owned a BMW or other high-quality European car, forget the STi. It's built like utter garbage. My 09's interior was falling apart at 9,000km. They have bus-sized steering wheels, horrible steering feel, and a peaky, fragile engine. Just search up how many people have idiotically tried to tune their STi to Stage 2 and had the engine blow up because they did too many "in-gear" pulls up a hill or something.. it's a joke. Made me scared enough to ditch my car at 11,000km. Loved the AWD system though. Oh well.. it's not worth it one bit IMO.. for the odd time you want "snow or gravel" performance..

That said, if you're looking for bargain basement AWD performance with a warranty (sort of) and you don't plan on pushing it past Stage 1, I'd just get an Evo not an STi.

The Subaru modding community is delusional. They spend insane amounts of money modifying their cars to be hardcore performance vehicles when they probably just should have bought an actual performance vehicle (or at least cut down on the costs by starting with an Evo).

<-ex-sti owner (made the mistake twice).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #50
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasé Zomé View Post
Stock for stock, an Evo X will eat up an STi in almost every quantitative performance test (and most qualitative ones too). I came off an '08 Evo X MR (had it for 3 years) into my E90 M3 and they are worlds apart. I say test drive all 3 back to back (same day) then make your decision.

If you can "easily" afford an M3, then get one and slap on an ESS blower kit... you'll never have to look over your shoulder for 99.999% of the STis behind you.
True, hell I'd say stock for stock & mod for mod an evo wins... either way, I feel that if you can afford to even consider an M3, don't even bother looking at cars in a level below that of the M3. It would be like me going a few years ago saying "I want the Evo X, but should I consider the Civic Si?"

...how is this thread even still alive? I think all points have been proven.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #51
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

The STi is a great car, cheap to mod and a lot of fun. I think there are a lot of guys like me who had a GD STi and moved on to a 135/335 and in my case now moving on to an M3.

The STi will forever go down as one of my favorite cars ever. I learned so much in the six years I owned that car. It gave me a whole new level of passion and love for cars. But I'm realizing there's a big difference in what I wanted when I was 22 and what I want now that I'm (almost) 29. The M3 is just a dream come true to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #52
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTempted View Post
True, hell I'd say stock for stock & mod for mod an evo wins... either way, I feel that if you can afford to even consider an M3, don't even bother looking at cars in a level below that of the M3. It would be like me going a few years ago saying "I want the Evo X, but should I consider the Civic Si?"

...how is this thread even still alive? I think all points have been proven.
Perfectly put.

You know, all of this makes 0 sense. In terms of all-round performance, autox, straight line speed, the Evo/STis are maybe even better cars than the M3 and are quite easy to drive fast. BUT.. the quality is light years apart between the two, and the M3 has an intangible appeal that can't be explained with performance specifications. I would think most of us did NOT buy an M3 for its quickness...
      06-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #53
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Wildly different cars. The best thing about the STi (and I've had one for a few years) is that it is a blast in the winter. Love driving it in the snow!

As much as I like the Subie, it does not match up with the M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #54
kyoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

idk about sti's but lightly modded evos will kill any near stock m3's on the track, hands down - you guys must not pay too much attention to that 'scene.' IDK how M3 owners are claiming otherwise except for the fact that it just doesn't make any sense to them.

Tuned evos with upgraded (but still stock sized turbos) will run with r35 GTRs, and always run at the top of the pack in time attack series races. Few examples, include the RyanGates EvoX, any AMS TA car, and for more extreme the HKS evo and the sierra sierra Evo (which are a couple of the fastest time attack cars in the world, and would destroy the ALMS M3).

if you guys are talking about drag racing though I have no idea. And obviously stock, in terms of performance they are not in the same class, and they will never be in the same luxury class.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #55
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
idk about sti's but lightly modded evos will kill any near stock m3's on the track, hands down - you guys must not pay too much attention to that 'scene.' IDK how M3 owners are claiming otherwise except for the fact that it just doesn't make any sense to them.

Tuned evos with upgraded (but still stock sized turbos) will run with r35 GTRs, and always run at the top of the pack in time attack series races. Few examples, include the RyanGates EvoX, any AMS TA car, and for more extreme the HKS evo and the sierra sierra Evo (which are a couple of the fastest time attack cars in the world, and would destroy the ALMS M3).

if you guys are talking about drag racing though I have no idea. And obviously stock, in terms of performance they are not in the same class, and they will never be in the same luxury class.
Dude a modded anything will beat a lot of stock somethings. And Ryan Gates is not running a near stock size turbo. They're just different platforms. 0-60 the evos and STIs beat the M3 but anything over about 75 it's the M all day. I've owned a wrx, stage 2 sti and now a lightly modded AMS tuned evo x. AWD-T 4s, generally speaking have no top end especially when compared to a RWD high revving V8. That's where, I think, the biggest differences would lie... Besides fit and finish, and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #56
kyoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dude a modded anything will beat a lot of stock somethings. And Ryan Gates is not running a near stock size turbo. They're just different platforms. 0-60 the evos and STIs beat the M3 but anything over about 75 it's the M all day. I've owned a wrx, stage 2 sti and now a lightly modded AMS tuned evo x. AWD-T 4s, generally speaking have no top end especially when compared to a RWD high revving V8. That's where, I think, the biggest differences would lie... Besides fit and finish, and luxury.
Not anymore, but in 08 time attack series he was running an FPRed I believe. I'm not arguing highway runs to 150, I'm talking about track cars (not track race cars, running cars on the track). I just wanted to point out its not outrageous for an M3 to be smoked by one of these rally cars like people are saying. Even lightly modded ones.

::
I'm not saying the M3 isn't a better car - IMHO it is. I still want to get an M3 fully knowing my evo is already faster than an M3 (to 60, on a track, auto-x, and in the 1/4 mile), and always will be unless I do pretty wild things to the M3 like going bigger displacement. I really couldn't care about highway racing/speeds - and if I did, I'd want a Z06.

If OP is looking for outright speed on the track, this is genuinely something to consider. If he's looking to race on the highway the choice is obvious. If he's looking for a nice overall package, and IMO the greatest overall sports coupe in current day production, then the choice is obvious again - M3 all the way.

Last edited by kyoo; 06-06-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #57
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not anymore, but in 08 time attack series he was running an FPRed I believe. I'm not arguing highway runs to 150, I'm talking about track cars (not track race cars, running cars on the track). I just wanted to point out its not outrageous for an M3 to be smoked by one of these rally cars like people are saying. Even lightly modded ones.
Ok true. Gates was smashing people with his relatively modest earlier build. But I agree with what you're saying man. STIs and Evos are closer to being the bare bones track cars than an M, hell the radio was an option on my 04 STi... and hell I'm sure I could embarass a lot of Ms up until 80... then I'd take the nearest exit as my evo proceeds to fall on it's face...

I just think the difference in class is enough to completely ignore the rally platforms, which is why I'm an evo owner on an M site ...this could be a life decision (haha) for some people... im tired of the boy racer scene and getting revved at by every car out there and 17-28 year olds popping boners on my car in the parking lot. I bet you guys get all that with the M, but at least chicks know what a BMW is ...and fold-in mirrors?! cmon that's just classy!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #58
kyoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok true. Gates was smashing people with his relatively modest earlier build. But I agree with what you're saying man. STIs and Evos are closer to being the bare bones track cars than an M, hell the radio was an option on my 04 STi... and hell I'm sure I could embarass a lot of Ms up until 80... then I'd take the nearest exit as my evo proceeds to fall on it's face...

I just think the difference in class is enough to completely ignore the rally platforms, which is why I'm an evo owner on an M site ...this could be a life decision (haha) for some people... im tired of the boy racer scene and getting revved at by every car out there and 17-28 year olds popping boners on my car in the parking lot. I bet you guys get all that with the M, but at least chicks know what a BMW is ...and fold-in mirrors?! cmon that's just classy!
my reasons are same lol (edits above). Except keep the evo and turn it into a track only weekend warrior, and get an e9x m3 to have one of the best overall street cars available.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #59
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
my reasons are same lol (edits above). Except keep the evo and turn it into a track only weekend warrior, and get an e9x m3 to have one of the best overall street cars available.
Haha I wish bro, I'll be stretchin close to thin paying for the M. Already got a buyer lined up for my evo, I just gotta get a beater for DD then get myself an M!! i don't track anyway being from hawaii we don't have one, so i don't have much desire to have a dedicated track car... maybe when i hit the lotto i'll get a lotus or something for that haha!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #60
Kasé Zomé
Captain
Rep
Drives: faster than my demons can fly

Quote:
Haha I wish bro, I'll be stretchin close to thin paying for the M. Already got a buyer lined up for my evo, I just gotta get a beater for DD then get myself an M!! i don't track anyway being from hawaii we don't have one, so i don't have much desire to have a dedicated track car... maybe when i hit the lotto i'll get a lotus or something for that haha!
on oahu tantalus darkside got repaved... i miss the ghetto-fabulousness of campbell raceway...

you in hawaii now?

Evo X keeping up with GTR @ Streets of Willow:

http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...mprobable.html
      06-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #61
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasé Zomé View Post
on oahu tantalus darkside got repaved... i miss the ghetto-fabulousness of campbell raceway...

you in hawaii now?

Evo X keeping up with GTR @ Streets of Willow:

http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...mprobable.html
hah yeah i was there when they repaved it... no more drifters, grippers delight now haha! crazy. i just left oahu back in feb. KRP had small time rally-x when i left. i don't know if they were gonna be able to do a strip or road course, but that would be nasty!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #62
M3LOL
Rep
Drives: STi

I started the sti vs m3 thread a while back. Let me start by saying my STi has been the hugest pile of crap. It is on it's 4'th engine (it was just lemoned, all my money back yaay!). The stock suspension is wobbly and unsure, the steering is lifeless, it pulls like it's dyno graphs are the rocky mountains and it rattles like you cant believe. Do not buy one.

With all that said, when this car is gone I will dearly miss it. It gets under your skin. It has the intangibles and soul and character. On anything twisty it is a monster. In the real world, it is seriously fast. It has so much grip, it is really forgiving, and the awd makes the condition of the surface irrelevant. I have handed many m3's their lunch on the canyons. If you push through all the body roll there is seemingly unlimited grip and w/ swaybars and some trail braking it is perfectly neutral and will rotate at will. Up to 60 the sti's will stay even w/ the m3, and even the m5. After that it will fall back like you threw a piece of paper out of your window.

A couple of mods on an STi can very easily make it pull on an m3 at lower speeds. But as many people have said, the m3 is a different class. The sounds, how things feel to the touch, stuff like that is on another level. I just HATE it when m3 owners get on their high horses and act like on a purely performance level an m3 vs sti comparo is not even worth a discussion.

One last note, I am in the market for a car due to my subie being bought back, and guess what I'm searching for..... An e46 m3
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #63
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Then you should have posted in the thread you started:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...428696&page=11

E46 M3 is a good choice
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #64
kyoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
to the guy who said his Evo falls flat on its face at 80 you must have spinners or something. my Evo gets to 130 faster than my m3. after that, the m rules.
the guy who said that has a X just fyi. I've got a IX GSR with shep trans and evo8 3rd and 4th gear, and up til the top of 4th it pulls pretty damn hard. Im assuming you have a 8/9 from your s/n
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

LOL @ anyone modding their Subaru's. Good luck. Depending on what stage you go to, I'll place a bet on when your engine spins a rod bearing.

This is the kind of insanity that comes out of those communities. Visit Subaru boards. One such thread warns not to "push it in a low gear while driving uphill". Wow. Pretty much sums up the price difference.

Also, with regard to modding, if you actually do it properly, you will be in M3 territory cost-wise, except the M3 will have warranty and won't blow up.
      06-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #66
M3LOL
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
LOL @ anyone modding their Subaru's. Good luck. Depending on what stage you go to, I'll place a bet on when your engine spins a rod bearing.

This is the kind of insanity that comes out of those communities. Visit Subaru boards. One such thread warns not to "push it in a low gear while driving uphill". Wow. Pretty much sums up the price difference.

Also, with regard to modding, if you actually do it properly, you will be in M3 territory cost-wise, except the M3 will have warranty and won't blow up.
The last statement you made is the truth. It is why modded vs stock comparisons are apples to oranges. But if you took an STi and had that big of a budget to put it in m3 money, it will not blow up and would blow the socks off almost anything, but it will be worthless, no warranty and the long term reliability won't be there.
Appreciate 0