BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
Rep
Drives: A Car

Tecnocraft Envy system installed. Problem and general question

Hi guys,

I installed my Tecnocraft Envy system I received from a forum member this week. (Thanks! You know who you are )

Love the feel and slight change of sound in my car. I did however, encounter a small problem.

The plaque on the charge pipe is rubbing a tiny bit on the underside of my bonnet. The one little bolt on the right side that holds the plaque in place is also rubbing.

The section on the top side (above the cross member) where it bends down, of the Ram Air Scoop is also rubbing a TINY TINY bit on the underside of the bonnet. Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it?

My general question is:
The engine obviously moves a tiny bit when under full throttle. How does the charge pipe allow for flex like the OEM rubber part did?

I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
Rep

I did some searching around and it seems forum member "bunnn" (I hope you don't mind if I borrowed your photo), has the same thing on his ram air scoop.

You will notice a thin horizontal line on it, that is the same as mine.

Now all I need clarification on is if the plaque on the charge pipe rubs on his as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

I believe the horizontal lines you are referring too are as a result of closing the hood. Mine gets those as well, but they just rub off. The plaque on the charge pipe does not rub for me. You could adjust the rubber stoppers for the hood up a bit to maybe help eliminate any rubbing if it bothers you.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
KHOALTY
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had this issue and several others that I know had this problem as well.

The fix that I found to get rid of this problem is to go to your hood latch, unscrew the plastic screw, pull the plastic holder down, and you can turn the latch to extend it longer or shorter. I believe if you turn it to the right, it will make the latch shorter and turn it to the left makes it longer. So you would need to turn it where the latch where it grows longer so it doesn't hit the pieces you are hitting. If you don't do this, the hood will keep rubbing and leave a mark on your hood itself.

Last edited by KHOALTY; 02-27-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Technocraft should provide a sticker instead of a plaque. I don't want such a tiny mod to be that pointed out. No logo = stealth. The charge pipe ( or system ) itself seems to be the best around.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
Rep

I'll give that a try with that plastic holder.

Any feedback concerning the flex? Where does that go now that the OEM rubber charge pipe is not there?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
KHOALTY
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The charge pipe doesn't flex like the OEM piece does. The only charge pipe that will flex like oem or seal perfectly like oem is the dinan piece bc it uses that accordion rubber piece as well. You will see gaps around the charge pipe when it attaches to the manifold, that is normal to see as they can't make it perfect hence why they provide the electrical tape to make it more snug but other than the, the clamps are not even needed at all either bc it will not flex the pipe itself when you clamp that piece down.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoa|Khoalty.com View Post
The charge pipe doesn't flex like the OEM piece does. The only charge pipe that will flex like oem or seal perfectly like oem is the dinan piece bc it uses that accordion rubber piece as well. You will see gaps around the charge pipe when it attaches to the manifold, that is normal to see as they can't make it perfect hence why they provide the electrical tape to make it more snug but other than the, the clamps are not even needed at all either bc it will not flex the pipe itself when you clamp that piece down.
that doesn't sound very good, if these charge pipes are letting unfiltered air get into the engine.
      02-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Technocraft should provide a sticker instead of a plaque. I don't want such a tiny mod to be that pointed out. No logo = stealth. The charge pipe ( or system ) itself seems to be the best around.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I'll give that a try with that plastic holder.

Any feedback concerning the flex? Where does that go now that the OEM rubber charge pipe is not there?
The engine moves to side when you rev it. the connected filter doesn't. whether this is buffered by the remaining flex connections ? don't know.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Those lines just rub off with a little bit of effort, I really didn't give much attention to it..
i was putting it off as I need my hood/bumper adjusted..the dealer delivered the car with a repainted bumper and they didnt align everything properly..even the rubber stop adjusting thing wasn't working for me(prior to the intake) much.

I'll go look into this for you tomorrow morning about the plague..but some tape and see if it gets rubbed against
      02-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
Rep

Thanks bunnn! Really appreciate it!

I've put tape under the bonnet on the areas that rub to hopefully stop those marks from forming.

Bunnn, what is your opinion about the movement of the engine and the non-flexible charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
Alex-R-1
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

How to decide this problem???
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #14
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Hi guys,

I installed my Tecnocraft Envy system I received from a forum member this week. (Thanks! You know who you are )
yes thanks for taking a flight up to Harare to collect it from my heavily gaurded fortress! Sorry if my body guards gave you a fright, I have told them repeatedly not to fire live ammunition in front of guests.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #15
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i went with the Dinan for this reason, seemed to be some teasing issues to be worked out still and not alot of R&D it seemed bf it was for sale. nothing against it as it looks great but i want to know more about what is going in my car

looks awesome though, best looking one on the market for sure they just need to work out the kinks
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 02:54 AM   #16
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi guys,

Love the feel and slight change of sound in my car. I did however, encounter a small problem.

The plaque on the charge pipe is rubbing a tiny bit on the underside of my bonnet. The one little bolt on the right side that holds the plaque in place is also rubbing.

The section on the top side (above the cross member) where it bends down, of the Ram Air Scoop is also rubbing a TINY TINY bit on the underside of the bonnet. Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it?

My general question is:
The engine obviously moves a tiny bit when under full throttle. How does the charge pipe allow for flex like the OEM rubber part did?

I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Was waiting for you to show up here! 03-turbo911

Hope you can resolve it because it looks like a good product!
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

yes, i have the same problem myself.

I hope tecnocraft fixes this!

I did the latch thing as well.

I heard from another friend that if you have the VF hood, it'll scratch the top of the 2nd ram air scoop piece.

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Mike, good to see you on this forum as well. Hopefully someone here can help you get these issues resolved. Post up some pics of the car whenever you get everything installed.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #19
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Thanks bunnn! Really appreciate it!

I've put tape under the bonnet on the areas that rub to hopefully stop those marks from forming.

Bunnn, what is your opinion about the movement of the engine and the non-flexible charge pipe?
hey after 2 days of driving, I didn't really have marks on the charge pipe, only the front scoops ...i do eventually want to remove a few of the plaques, there's bit too many for my taste

in regards to the non-flexible pipe, i'm not too worried unless someone proves it's detrimental to the engine... i'm using the generic electrical tape solution atm...also I'm not really understanding how the engine movement is affecting anything(my mechanical knowledge is limited)

although originally I was hoping the enlarged manifold would address this issue..
      03-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
E92M3Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 M3

The accordian looking piece has to serve some purpose, if it didn't, I am sure bmw would of not put it on the car. Dinan kept that piece on there item so it has to serve some purpose. With all these issues, rubbing against the hood and gaps around the charge pipe, paying a hefty price and now getting these issues, doesn't make sense to spend the money to get problems. I just read and saw the full intake with the plenum looses power as well without a proper tune....we all want more power but it seems more of a headache than anything to make it fit and finish just like OEM or even somewhere close.

The only three companies that I seen that actually read and people's dyon and comments says as they describe is Dinan, Eisenmann and Arkapovic.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Nice CAI System. Hopefully those lines will wipe off

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #22
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Mike, good to see you on this forum as well. Hopefully someone here can help you get these issues resolved. Post up some pics of the car whenever you get everything installed.
Thanks JC. I'll do that! As soon as everything is on I will post a couple photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
hey after 2 days of driving, I didn't really have marks on the charge pipe, only the front scoops ...i do eventually want to remove a few of the plaques, there's bit too many for my taste

in regards to the non-flexible pipe, i'm not too worried unless someone proves it's detrimental to the engine... i'm using the generic electrical tape solution atm...also I'm not really understanding how the engine movement is affecting anything(my mechanical knowledge is limited)

although originally I was hoping the enlarged manifold would address this issue..
Thanks for the feedback bunnn. Very much appreciated.

Still curious about the engine movement. Just for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maseroche View Post
Was waiting for you to show up here! 03-turbo911

Hope you can resolve it because it looks like a good product!
Hi K! Thanks. It definitely makes the engine look a bit more special.

This is the best place (without the douchebag factor) on the net for E92/E90 M3's
Appreciate 0