BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

11-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Protective Plastic Wrap in the DFW Area?

I've been thinking about a clear bra for my new car as the front bumper/airdam on my E46 got really trashed over the years. At Cars and Coffee on Saturday, I saw an Audi that a complete front wrap had been done on. It was beautiful. I couldn't see any seams or tell that it had been done. The installer is Norm Schilling, who does business as Invisibra. Does anyone have experience with Norm or have other recommendations as far as installers go?
      11-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
QTRM3
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2008 6MT

I got mine from Stuart's(http://www.stuartspnb.com/) they did a good installation job.

I don't know what brand clear bra they used but its start turning yellow after 4 months. I guess the best thing to do is to buy good one by your self and then get them to install it for you.

Remus Race Exhaust, AA X-Pipe Castles, AA SSK, AA ECU Tune, Evo Sport Pulleys, AFE Filter & Air Scope, HRE P40 20, H&R Springs ...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

^^ He's right. Stuart is very good. Also check out Norm..his site is http://www.invisibra.net/

A know a few people that have used him and have been very happy with his work
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
^^ He's right. Stuart is very good. Also check out Norm..his site is http://www.invisibra.net/

A know a few people that have used him and have been very happy with his work
Thanks DevJ and QTRM3. I've looked at Norm's site. He talks about all the things I'm on the lookout for after reading other threads over the last several days.

QTRM3 - i just looked at Stuarts site. He says they use 3M material. Given their rep for high quality work, you should go show Stuart what's happening with your wrap. I see now that your car is white. Any issues with the wrap material are going to show up quickly. I'd still talk to Stuart though.

Last edited by calintexas; 11-29-2009 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Updated Info
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
QTRM3
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2008 6MT

The guys at Stuarts are really good and I'm sure if I talked to them they will replace it.

It is have been on my to do list but I couldn't find the time to do it yet

Remus Race Exhaust, AA X-Pipe Castles, AA SSK, AA ECU Tune, Evo Sport Pulleys, AFE Filter & Air Scope, HRE P40 20, H&R Springs ...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

call Trey at http://www.speedshieldusa.com/

he did several of my cars and does a super job and price is very reasonable.
Attached Images

11-30-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

one of the best things about Trey is that he designs all his installs so they are usually bigger and cover more area then ... well anyone probably. also he does full wraps
      11-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Total Building
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

BUMP FOR TREY.. Has done about 10 of our cars. Hands down the best... 817-999-5925

He is located in North Dallas
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Z06_7.0l
Rep
Drives: slow truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTRM3 View Post
I got mine from Stuart's(http://www.stuartspnb.com/) they did a good installation job.

I don't know what brand clear bra they used but its start turning yellow after 4 months. I guess the best thing to do is to buy good one by your self and then get them to install it for you.
I've said it once but ill say it again, You must use Clearshield if you have a white vehicle. I dont care what the clear bra dealer tries to tell you, this is the only film Ive seen that holds up on white cars long term. (this is coming from a former clear bra installer that has tried all the films).
Hope this helps

Oh one last thing. Normally a installer wont install film that you buy yourself and bring to them. Or if they do, they wont warranty the clear bra. So its best to consult your installer before purchasing any kits on your own.

Last edited by Z06_7.0l; 12-06-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
htp autoworks
Private
Rep
Drives: A fast one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_7.0l View Post
I've said it once but ill say it again, You must use Clearshield if you have a white vehicle. I dont care what the clear bra dealer tries to tell you, this is the only film Ive seen that holds up on white cars long term. (this is coming from a former clear bra installer that has tried all the films).
Hope this helps

Oh one last thing. Normally a installer wont install film that you buy yourself and bring to them. Or if they do, they wont warranty the clear bra. So its best to consult your installer before purchasing any kits on your own.
Interesting post. ClearShield is Bekaert... one of the worst films out there (IMHO). There is a reason why they only have about 5% of the paint protection film market. I have installed it before and thought it was horrible. I would put it up against VentureShield Ultra any day of the week. But thats just my .02
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Z06_7.0l
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Interesting post. ClearShield is Bekaert... one of the worst films out there (IMHO). There is a reason why they only have about 5% of the paint protection film market. I have installed it before and thought it was horrible. I would put it up against VentureShield Ultra any day of the week. But thats just my .02
Im not going to get into a debate over this topic because it would go on forever.

VentureShield is widely used and excepted by installers because its easy as heck to install, and that means less practice and knowhow for installers.

You obviously push VentureShileld film so you will obviously say its better.

My non biased opinion(non biased because i dont clear bra anymore) is that Clearshiled holds up its transparency better on white vehicles than other films out their. And it sure is hell holds up better than Ventureshield ultra on White BMW M3's!! And if you dont believe me there are a few of my old customers on this forum that will contest to the film.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

+1 for Clearshield

1.5 YEARS and looks as great as the day it was installed!

Quote:
Im not going to get into a debate over this topic because it would go on forever.

VentureShield is widely used and excepted by installers because its easy as heck to install, and that means less practice and knowhow for installers.

My non biased opinion(non biased because i dont clear bra anymore) is that Clearshiled holds up its transparency better on white vehicles than other films out their. And it sure is hell holds up better than Ventureshield ultra on White BMW M3's!! And if you dont believe me there are a few of my old customers on this forum that will contest to the film.

Last edited by FusionM; 12-07-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
htp autoworks
Private
Rep
Drives: A fast one...

Quote:

And you arent pushing Bekaert??? LOL. I have installed it before (yes it is a pain in the ass to install) and I have also seen it on a car after 6 months. It didnt hold up well and has way too much orange peel in it. Could be why they only have a 5 year warranty against VentureShield's lifetime. And if you havent been installing for a while then I guess you havent used VentureShield Ultra (top coat) since it is a fairly new film. With all of that said, there is still a reason why Bekaert has a very small portion of the PPF industry. If it was a good film then I assume everyone would want it, install it, and have good results with it.

By the way "Robert", your post back as early as 26 october 09 is stated as you are still installing film. At least thats what you claim. So how long ago did you quit installing film? Was it before or after you put your 42" Roland plotter up for sale? Maybe 15 November of this year? Just curious... I mean it helps me understand how unbiased your opinion is.

Last edited by htp autoworks; 12-06-2009 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
Z06_7.0l
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
And you arent pushing Bekaert??? LOL. I have installed it before (yes it is a pain in the ass to install) and I have also seen it on a car after 6 months. It didnt hold up well and has way too much orange peel in it. Could be why they only have a 5 year warranty against VentureShield's lifetime. And if you havent been installing for a while then I guess you havent used VentureShield Ultra (top coat) since it is a fairly new film. With all of that said, there is still a reason why Bekaert has a very small portion of the PPF industry. If it was a good film then I assume everyone would want it, install it, and have good results with it.

By the way "Robert", your post back as early as 26 october 09 is stated as you are still installing film. At least thats what you claim. So how long ago did you quit installing film? Was it before or after you put your 42" Roland plotter up for sale? Maybe 15 November of this year? Just curious... I mean it helps me understand how unbiased your opinion is.

Man your post is a mess. Let me see where to begin.

If is say i stopped clear braing that means i dont clear bra any more. Why the heck would i say i dont clear bra any more yet still do it. Obviously that would be bad for business and confuse the heck out of people. Check my website you will see i dont have my clear braing page up anymore.

Oh also show me where in my post i say "i haven’t been clear braing for a while" ? I stopped recently. I never said I stopped years ago. And yes i have used VentureShield Ultra extensively, and used it as one of my go to films. I never said it was crap film(you need to read peoples posts). What i said was when clear braing white cars you should use Clearshield as in my opinion it will hold up the best on white vehicles.

A good clear bra-er doesn't just use one type of film and tell everyone its the best hands down, what he does is tests as many films as he can, figure out which ones are the best and keep them in his tool box, so he can custom tailor the install to the customers needs.

As for selling my plotter, whats your point? I've gone back to school to get my degree, so i stopped clear braing. I have all this equipment at home so as of recently i decided to try to liquidate my equipment.

PS. As a disclaimer I have not used Proforms brand new film so i can not say how it personally fairs on white vehicles that i have done.

Last edited by Z06_7.0l; 12-06-2009 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0