BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #45
Undertow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

A european delivery e93 with msrp of 80k and a sales price at invoice with 7 msds will get you around $625/mo with nothing down other than your security deposits.
      01-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #46
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

How do you get 7 msds?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #47
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy ny View Post
I would like to know how one gets an m3 for 600 per month. Must be putting 25k down. I think his entire post is bullshit.
this lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #48
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3inwaiting View Post
A european delivery e93 with msrp of 80k and a sales price at invoice with 7 msds will get you around $625/mo with nothing down other than your security deposits.
ED ADDS to the MF reduces from msrp. over the course of 3yrs you save a LITTLE; nothing that would save you 10k/mo though.

sorry to break it to you, kiddo, you don't know what you're talking about. so just keep your 328i mouth shut

Last edited by mgx; 01-30-2011 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #49
trick000
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3/AP1 s2000

It's all relative. If you've ever daily driven a stage 2 Subaru STI, any BMW will be quiet and comfortable.

I currently have a 335i sedan as a daily and an AP1 s2000 for a weekend/nice day car. The s2000 is a nice convertible but I can see how it can get really annoying because of all the noise and rattles. I'm replacing my 335i/s2000 with an e93 convertible so I can have the comfort of a hard top but still have the option of having my top down when it's nice outside. I don't really care about weight and track like handling anymore. I just want a nice daily and the e93 fits my needs.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #50
Undertow
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgx View Post
ED ADDS to the MF lol you don't know what you're talking about, just keep your 328i mouth shut

.0009 base mf - .0003 loyalty + .0003 ed adder - .00049 msd discount = .00041 mf.

64% residual for 36 month / 30k miles

So yeah. On an m3 e93 with 80.6k msrp and an ed invoice of 70k it comes out to 582 a month w/o tax assuming a 725 acquisition fee. Math is hard. I know.
      01-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #51
Ben Choad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3; 09 Lambo LP560-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSaver View Post
So, after looking at the latest lease residuals and money factors, coupled with the great deals some of the dealers who frequent these forums, I made the decision to part ways with my 2009 335i Coupe Sport Pack car and order a Euro Delivery M3 convertible. I figured that the payment for this car would be in the low $600s, which is amazing considering the price of the car. Then I drove and M3 Convertible for the first time like I would drive the car 75% of the time, and that is driving it in traffic, running errands and generally using it for what most normal people use a car for, not for its true intent which is to have as much fun behind the wheel as you possibly can. Now, it accomplishes this last feat incredibly well, so it makes a great toy. Then again my 06 SLK 55 with 14,000 miles on the clock is even more fun as a toy. However, my goal was to get one car and sell the SLK and the 335. Unfortunately, as a day to day car, I found the M3 to just flat out suck. Sorry to all the fan boys, but with the top up it is loud, the ride on the crappy Charlotte roads is stiff and the DCT is not as good as those found in the VW/Audi products. Oh yeah, the gas mileage is 2/3rds that of a 335 and the car (although I know on a track is faster) does not feel any quicker in real world driving.

Now, the car dynamically is brilliant, even in the overweight convertible version. If it were not for the dual clutch transmissions in VW/Audi, I would have nothing but praise for the DCT in the MC. The leather is sublime, the engine makes incredible noises and revs unlike anything outside of those prancing horses from Maranello. A retractable hard top on a four place car is a great thing for both security and foul weather. Individually, these parts are simply awesome. Put into one package, and on the track... WOW! On the road, BOO!

Thus, it looks like I am going to keep the 335i (lease is $550 a month) and the SLK 55 for at least a little while longer. Would have loved to simplified my life and gotten one car for everything, but the 335 is just a better all around daily car in my opinion, and the SLK (at least in 55 form) is very rare, and with that fat 5403cc mill under the hood, is still a blast to drive (even if the 7 speed auto leaves something to be desired.

Hate me if you must, but for anyone out there considering an M3 over a 335 for daily use, think twice before you make the final decision.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I respect what you have to say. However, as a counter to your statement, I also went from a 335i to the M3 for a daily driver and personally I think there is no comparison between the two. I have found other daily drivers to be a disappointment as they are too much of a step down from my "toy". It was hard driving the 335i during the week after tooling around in a LP560-4 over the weekend. I dont feel as much of a drop off in the M3 and actually enjoy my time in it during the course of the week. Its perfect for driving to work, meetings, shopping, etc. I also dont feel bad about handing it over to valets and parking in public garages, etc. with it. Could never do that with the Lambo.

To each his own. The 335 was a decent car so nothing wrong with keeping it if you like it.

My only problem with the M3 has been the reliability issues that I have had with it and the crappy service from BMW NA and BMW of San Francisco (btw - never, ever go to BMW SF).

Who would have every thought that a Lambo would be more reliable than an M3. LOL still unbelievable to me. When I bought the LP560-4 I was factoring in costs for unscheduled garage visits and maintenance. The experience has been quite the opposite, its just been a solid car that always puts a stupid grin on my face and makes me act like I am 7 years old.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #52
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I LOVED my SLK55. Perfect second car IMO. Wish I could have kept it along with my 1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #53
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
.0009 base mf - .0003 loyalty + .0003 ed adder - .00049 msd discount = .00041 mf.

So yeah. On an m3 e93 with 80.6k msrp and an ed invoice of 70k it comes out to 582 a month w/o tax assuming a 725 acquisition fee. Math is hard. I know.
LOL -10k msrp for base cap cost, sorry not happening, ever. it's safe to conclude you're currently in a dream, within a dream, within a dream
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #54
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSaver View Post
So, after looking at the latest lease residuals and money factors, coupled with the great deals some of the dealers who frequent these forums, I made the decision to part ways with my 2009 335i Coupe Sport Pack car and order a Euro Delivery M3 convertible. I figured that the payment for this car would be in the low $600s, which is amazing considering the price of the car. Then I drove and M3 Convertible for the first time like I would drive the car 75% of the time, and that is driving it in traffic, running errands and generally using it for what most normal people use a car for, not for its true intent which is to have as much fun behind the wheel as you possibly can. Now, it accomplishes this last feat incredibly well, so it makes a great toy. Then again my 06 SLK 55 with 14,000 miles on the clock is even more fun as a toy. However, my goal was to get one car and sell the SLK and the 335. Unfortunately, as a day to day car, I found the M3 to just flat out suck. Sorry to all the fan boys, but with the top up it is loud, the ride on the crappy Charlotte roads is stiff and the DCT is not as good as those found in the VW/Audi products. Oh yeah, the gas mileage is 2/3rds that of a 335 and the car (although I know on a track is faster) does not feel any quicker in real world driving.

Now, the car dynamically is brilliant, even in the overweight convertible version. If it were not for the dual clutch transmissions in VW/Audi, I would have nothing but praise for the DCT in the MC. The leather is sublime, the engine makes incredible noises and revs unlike anything outside of those prancing horses from Maranello. A retractable hard top on a four place car is a great thing for both security and foul weather. Individually, these parts are simply awesome. Put into one package, and on the track... WOW! On the road, BOO!

Thus, it looks like I am going to keep the 335i (lease is $550 a month) and the SLK 55 for at least a little while longer. Would have loved to simplified my life and gotten one car for everything, but the 335 is just a better all around daily car in my opinion, and the SLK (at least in 55 form) is very rare, and with that fat 5403cc mill under the hood, is still a blast to drive (even if the 7 speed auto leaves something to be desired.

Hate me if you must, but for anyone out there considering an M3 over a 335 for daily use, think twice before you make the final decision.
it all depends on where you're living
when i was living in Toronto and had the m it was a pain in the ass - a 335xi would have been much better but now that I'm in southern cali the roads (where I live) are phenomenal and I love myself for making the purchase.

how much do you want for the SLK?
Just curious

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #55
Undertow
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgx View Post
LOL -10k msrp for base cap cost, sorry not happening, ever. it's safe to conclude you're currently in a dream, within a dream, within a dream
Contact Golferrr or David from eurocars on this board and they'd be happy to work out invoice pricing for your euro delivery. I'm sorry you overpaid for your car.
      01-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #56
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

The OPs problem is he wants a convertible. Go for a CF roof Coupe and you have a much different feeling car, which would be fine as a daily driver IMO. Also, I don't think DCT is inferior in any way to Audi's DSG. But I have 6MT cause I am cooler.
      01-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #57
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick000 View Post
I don't really care about weight and track like handling anymore. I just want a nice daily and the e93 fits my needs.
Isn't it odd how you have to state this or you'll be pummeled by the flock for buying the wrong M3? Truthfully a real track day car will be far more rewarding than a slightly modified road car on a track. Top down M3 driving is a whole other experience. It's more abut fun than anything else, and a E93 M3 would be lots of fun on a perfect day.
      01-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #58
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Was just in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely more of a Camaro place than a BMW place, for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #59
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

Sounds to me that, based on your needs and wants, you made the best decision.

I really enjoyed driving my 335i M Sport 6MT which did, indeed, feel plenty fast and has a really great transmission / clutch pedal feel and, for me, a truly perfect driving position.

Nothing here but love for the 335i......fortunately I never ran into the HPFP issues that so many owners have had to deal with.

Most people think I'm nuts for selling my '09 Carrera S to buy an '11 M3 DCT ZCP Sedan when I already have an '11 550i M Sport, but like you with the M3, I just wasn't as over-the-moon for the Porsche as most seem to be.

Many on this forum and elsewhere don't understand my preferring to own two cars that are "so similar", but to me they are essentially opposite ends of the BMW spectrum, serve two very different purposes in my life, and, apparently, BMW is the marquee I prefer!

At the end of the day you just gotta drive what you enjoy the most within your budget......not what others would like to drive or think you should drive.
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #60
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

How do you get the Loyalty and msd discount? My dealer has never offered any discount on the MF for being a loyal customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Choad View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I respect what you have to say. However, as a counter to your statement, I also went from a 335i to the M3 for a daily driver and personally I think there is no comparison between the two. I have found other daily drivers to be a disappointment as they are too much of a step down from my "toy". It was hard driving the 335i during the week after tooling around in a LP560-4 over the weekend. I dont feel as much of a drop off in the M3 and actually enjoy my time in it during the course of the week. Its perfect for driving to work, meetings, shopping, etc. I also dont feel bad about handing it over to valets and parking in public garages, etc. with it. Could never do that with the Lambo.

To each his own. The 335 was a decent car so nothing wrong with keeping it if you like it.

My only problem with the M3 has been the reliability issues that I have had with it and the crappy service from BMW NA and BMW of San Francisco (btw - never, ever go to BMW SF).

Who would have every thought that a Lambo would be more reliable than an M3. LOL still unbelievable to me. When I bought the LP560-4 I was factoring in costs for unscheduled garage visits and maintenance. The experience has been quite the opposite, its just been a solid car that always puts a stupid grin on my face and makes me act like I am 7 years old.
What kind of problems did you have with the M3?
There were some DCT bugs and the idle valve was a problem. What else?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #61
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yeah, I guess then the 911 turbo isn't a waste since that engine is terrible???

It's funny how hate makes people say such stupid things.
Huh? I was not "hating" a 911 Turbo Convertible. One would be crazy NOT to want one. I was disputing the fact that anyone who apparently buys a E93 somehow wastes their money. If I had the cash to pay for the 911, I would have gotten that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
....a e93 M3 is stupid idea and waste of an 'M3' ...
Again, I apologize to the M3 family for purchasing an unabashed afront to all that is holy. I guess I will settle for enjoying every tunnel that I can with the top down and the smile that appears on my face every time that I drive it, despite the heresy involved.

Please keep in mind that there are a minority of people out there who wanted to purchase an open-air car with performance, and were willing to "settle". If I wanted performance as first priority, I would not have picked the E93. I get it, the car is heavy, but I did read the brochure before I ordered it and I am not trying to race you.

Do all of the E93 haters have absolutely stripped E92s in an effort shed the evils of extra weight?
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #62
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
Huh? I was not "hating" a 911 Turbo Convertible. One would be crazy NOT to want one. I was disputing the fact that anyone who apparently buys a E93 somehow wastes their money. If I had the cash to pay for the 911, I would have gotten that.
Sorry, I wasn't bashing you, I was piggybacking on what you had said in your reply.

Quote:
Do all of the E93 haters have absolutely stripped E92s in an effort shed the evils of extra weight?
Not at all. In fact, the vast majority of cars ordered are very well equipped or even fully loaded. You have to remember, hate isn't rational.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #63
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sorry, I wasn't bashing you, I was piggybacking on what you had said in your reply.
My bad!

Too much caffeine and sand today!
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #64
Undertow
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
How do you get the Loyalty and msd discount? My dealer has never offered any discount on the MF for being a loyal customer.

The loyalty discount became available in January if you have a recent account with bmw financial. It isn't a program that runs all of the time. It basically replaced the holiday cash as the current incentive.

Multiple security deposits have been around for a long time. This link will explain it to you:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134206
      01-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #65
Ben Choad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3; 09 Lambo LP560-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What kind of problems did you have with the M3?
There were some DCT bugs and the idle valve was a problem. What else?

I have a 6MT so my issues have nothing to do with DCT bugs.

I had posted about this about 3 months ago basically asking how to get BMW to either take back the car or swap it for another based on California's lemon law. I am still dealing with BMW NA but it has been, and continues to be, a run around. I dont think it will end in a favorable outcome for me as they claim that they cant duplicate the issues. Basically the power delivery from my engine has dropped off. I have asked to get it dyno tested. They tell me since the car is so new, if you do that it will void parts of your warranty, etc., etc. Like i said, I'm getting the run around from BMW NA. I suspect I will end up keeping the car for the remaing 2.5 years on the lease and then hand it back and walk away from Bimmers. Not worth the hassle and the shitty customer service.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #66
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
You were tracking a convertible? Thought most tracks frown upon that.
Some tracks allow convertibles if they have roll bars.
This is from the Drivers Clug at Lime Rock Track Day Policy.

"For members and guests protection, The Club does not allow convertibles without rollover protection to participate on-track. Factory fitted rollover systems including pop-up systems, such as those on the M3 convertible, Mini Cooper, Boxster, Carrera TT, S2000, Audi TT, 350Z, Z4, Z8, etc are allowed. However all factory fitted systems must meet the “broom handle test” which measures whether the head, and helmet fit below a line formed from the top of the rollover bar to the top of the dashboard. For convertibles without factory rollover protection, a four point, structural roll bar that meets SCCA GCR guidelines for Solo 1 is mandatory."

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0