BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Babaganush
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

Broken Down

After being out of town all week, I finally got back in the car to go for a ride last night. Unfortunately, the engine fired up with a VERY weird sound and then the car began to sputter and misfire. It died and when I fired it back up, the lights went up with all kind of errors....check engine light, DSC malfunction, service soon, etc. (can't remember all of them).

After it was towed to the dealer, my SA called me this evening to let me know the technician is stating there is a service bulletin to address this problem which requires ordering several parts including hoses and clamps and that all of the parts are on back order and they have no idea when they will be here from Germany. YIKES!!!!! I've asked for a more detailed description of the service bulletin and an explanation of what is wrong.....SA is going to have to call me back tomorrow.

Anyone know anything about this service bulletin my SA is referring to?

I love my M but my luck with the car in the last 4 months is scary.....
1. AC went out the first week - fixed by replacing a sensor
2. DCT SW upgrade failed and took several days to download proper version
3. Window tint shop busted driver side window out which was replaced free of charge but caused paint damage to the driver side door.
4. Driver side door repainted by dealer (took a week) and the shop scratched the leather on the inside of the door.
5. Dealer repaired the leather free of charge.
6. 19" BBS CH were not balanced properly when installed. Had to go back to the shop twice to finally get them balanced correctly.

I've got a bad feeling I'm going to be stuck again in my loaner for quite some time.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaganush View Post
After being out of town all week, I finally got back in the car to go for a ride last night. Unfortunately, the engine fired up with a VERY weird sound and then the car began to sputter and misfire. It died and when I fired it back up, the lights went up with all kind of errors....check engine light, DSC malfunction, service soon, etc. (can't remember all of them).

After it was towed to the dealer, my SA called me this evening to let me know the technician is stating there is a service bulletin to address this problem which requires ordering several parts including hoses and clamps and that all of the parts are on back order and they have no idea when they will be here from Germany. YIKES!!!!! I've asked for a more detailed description of the service bulletin and an explanation of what is wrong.....SA is going to have to call me back tomorrow.

Anyone know anything about this service bulletin my SA is referring to?

I love my M but my luck with the car in the last 4 months is scary.....
1. AC went out the first week - fixed by replacing a sensor
2. DCT SW upgrade failed and took several days to download proper version
3. Window tint shop busted driver side window out which was replaced free of charge but caused paint damage to the driver side door.
4. Driver side door repainted by dealer (took a week) and the shop scratched the leather on the inside of the door.
5. Dealer repaired the leather free of charge.
6. 19" BBS CH were not balanced properly when installed. Had to go back to the shop twice to finally get them balanced correctly.

I've got a bad feeling I'm going to be stuck again in my loaner for quite some time.
Look at the bright side, you'll get to ride the Ducati more often.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

I just took mine into the shop for what sounds like something similar. I didn't get the full details (nor would I of understood them anyway) but it was something related to the throttle management in some way?

In mine while cruising, car did a near stall downshifting from 7 to 6 (auto), started throwing all kinds of things. Emissions, DSC, service soon, etc. Let it sit for a couple of days, everything was reset, but something similar happened again. SA didn't indicate a bulletin, but did mention they had the problem in another one.

Unknown ETA for parts from Germany given backorder, etc. Argh! When I get a status update later this week I'll try and get any bulletin information, etc as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

That really is a string of bad luck man. Sorry to hear it.
      02-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
Look at the bright side, you'll get to ride the Ducati more often.
Now that is looking at the glass as half full

OP: I remember your thread on the broken glass from tinting...now this and the rest of the stuff you have experienced in only 4 short months....YIKES

Remind me never to take a ride from you in a car

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

At least you haven't been in an accident.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Babaganush
Private First Class
Rep

Just got back from the dealership. I got my hands on the service bulletin (# 13-05-08) and it states that if customer complains of misfiring and stalling at start up that it's most likely due to a bad hose that connects to the intake. Parts (replacement hose and clamps) are definitely on back order and my dealership has no ETA. It does fire up now and seems to idle better but all of the error lights are lit up.....I forced them to pull the car inside since we're about to get hit with some serious storms here in Dallas and there was no way I would leave that thing sitting outside with my luck.

Yeah, I've been really unlucky with this car. I've had great luck with my previous BMWs (3 M cars and my current 5 series) which probably combined have not been in the shop as much as this car has in the past 4 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

that sucks man! Well if it makes you feel better i waxed my car yesterday, and I was leaving school today and it was pouring...I was pretty angry lol
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

That sucks man - I am sorry... I hope they get it sorted out for you soon once and for ever!

Anyway, I hope that at least you are one of the few lucky DCT owners that don't get the DCT lag!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
Babaganush
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
That sucks man - I am sorry... I hope they get it sorted out for you soon once and for ever!

Anyway, I hope that at least you are one of the few lucky DCT owners that don't get the DCT lag!
Are you kidding!!! Of course I have the lag but honestly it's no big deal for me since it only occurs in 2nd gear when I'm in D3.....which I'm rarely in since I like to do the shifting myself.
Appreciate 0