BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
samstersam
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Powerchip remap voids warranty?

Hi, I have an E92 2008 M3 with a powerchip remap of the ECU.
Question is, when I go in to a BMW dealer for inspection i (or even just the 15,000 mile oil change) do they notice the remap?

If they do, does BMW void the warranty on the engine? Do they keep it on record so that even if you later brought the car back in for service and you remap to OEM settings, they'll know you have had the engine modified at one point?

Warranty is a big concern for me. Prestige BMW hates mods! (Even non BMW wheels, they'll shake their head at!)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

as long as they didn't change the redline you should be fine. most dealers flash you back to stock with the latest ECU "fix" after any service. unless you report an issue with the engine they aren't going to hunt for a tune. I wouldn't worry about, just don't tell them.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

any tune WILL void warranty. but as long as they dont find out, they wont know bout it and your warranty will stay intact. if you do have huge engine trouble, and they find something on your ecu that is not according to spec, they will blame your engine troubles on the tune and your warranty will be void.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
PedM5
Rep
Drives: '02 M5

If it happened to you, you'd be the first one. This question is asked on a fairly regular basis and the fact is, dealers up to this point can't tell if your ecu has been modified. It behaves just as a stock ecu should, just with more power

Also look up the magnusson moss act, the dealership can't void your warranty just because your car is modified, that's a common misconception.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
as long as they didn't change the redline you should be fine. most dealers flash you back to stock with the latest ECU "fix" after any service.
Incorrect. Programming not done just because the dealership feels like it.

There are 4 parameters for programming a vehicle:
1. Part replacement (ex. replacing a nav drive requires programming to make it work)
2. Adding a part (ex. adding satellite radio to a car that didn't have it, requires programming to make it work)
3. PUMA authorization (techs are stuck on a problem.. and BMW authorizes programming)
4. Bulletin (programming is listed as a repair procedure or in conjunction with part replacement)

Routine services are not part of this list. Now, if you walk in and complain about bluetooth connectivity, and there is a bulletin or PUMA recommends programming, there is a chance the DME might get flashed. All of this depends on the current integration level.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

well, bogdan used to be a service advisor for Passport BMW so maybe he knows something about this

btw, where do you work at now, bogdan? I didn't know you were gone from passport till earlier this month when i went in for service.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

yes anything you change in the car will void the warranty...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Just to clarify...

The BMW software I used (3G-online) does not allow you to "deselect" the DME if you want to omit it from programming. Any time your vehicle is programmed -- whether it's due to any of the reasons mentioned above or not -- if the DME -- or any/all other components-- are not at the current integration level, then they will be reprogrammed with the latest software.
100% Correct.

You don't get to pick and choose what components you program. If there is a new software version, it will program that control module automatically.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0