BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Tire options

I'm trying to decide what tire to get for my new summer wheels. I've been a bit confused about the different options. I know a lot of people say PSS or P-zeros are great for the street, but I am assuming they are not as good as RE-11s or AD08s for the track? Does this mainly pertain to short track like autocross where you cannot warm up tires or does this also pertain to long HPDE type events?

As far as tire life goes, how long can you expect a set of PSS/P-zero to last vs the softer RE-11 types?

And finally ride comfort - is there a significant difference between the 2 categories?

I am mostly going to be driving the car on the street for the time being with probably 2-4 autocross events per year and 1-2 track days anticipated. I would like to have track specific tires some day but probably not this summer.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

If you plan on running on the track at all, I wouldn't get PSS as they get slick fairly quickly and the chunck (I would stick to ZII or AD08 or RS3 or RE-11)

Basics:

Comfort: PSS > AD08
Noise: PSS > AD08
Tire Wear (last longer): PSS > AD08
Track: AD08 > PSS
AutoX: AD08 > PSS

The AD08 is an extreme tire. However, depending on yourself, it is easily liveable to drive daily (I don't mind). PSS will work on the AutoX no problem and you can cool your tires between runs if needed.

This is a very common discussion on this section of the forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

I'm finding the following:

The Advan is the only extreme performance tire available in 275/30 and 295/30/19.

The Hankook and RE-11 is available in 305/30/19. Will this fit on a 19x11 tire on stock ZCP suspension?

However, what fronts would you then be able to match with the Hankooks? 275/35 is too big.

I could put 275/305 RE-11s though.

I have RE-11A on my STI, but that also comes with stiffer aftermarket suspension. I don't want the drive to be too uncomfortable and it's hard for me to tease out how much is tire.

How long can I expect a set of RE-11 to last on daily driving? 1 year? 2 years? I only use my STI for autocross really anymore so that isn't really applicable comparison.

The other option is to obv go with just PSS or whatever and deal with slower autox times the few times I actually take the m3.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

If you aren't tracking the M, get the PSS.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Im trying to decide as well. I have a long daily commute (40 miles each way) 5-6 days a week. So I rack up alot of highway miles however I do plan to go to tue track later this year.

I don't want to run a dedicated track tire and dedicated track pads.

I don't want to change wheels and tires at the track.

I don't mind driving less aggressively to conserve the tires and brakes and figure with a lesser tire and brake setup you drive with lower limits and learn more effectively to drive and slide at the limit at a slower safer speed... ( think FRS/BRZ on Prius tires or the Chris Harris C63 review on 4 skinny spare wheels)

If I go with RE-11's... Am i waisting all its tread on my commute? Would I be better off with Pilot Super Sports? With the grip on the RE-11's... Will they cook stoptech pads?
Appreciate 0