BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

New Wheels but major issue

All,

So I received a new set of wheels for E90 M3 today and I was psyched! Even spent crazy money to overnight them to have on the car for a road trip this weekend.

I will not name specifics right now as it is a major issue, but when I received the wheels the polished lips were a mess! I mean a complete mess. Cloudy, scratched inside the lip and major scratches on the outside of the lip. There was also this heavy coating almost like they were oxidizing. So the calls started to get resolution. As a result no response, but I figure I would try and see if could refinish the polished lips myself. Keep in mind I have had many sets over the years (haven't we all) and I know how to care for this material and finish.

Several hours later the polished are more cloudy than before! What the hell is going on? There is no clear coat on these and I am using mothers aluminum power metal. With it being the weekend I do have some time but limited products to get. What do I do??

Also I just bought a set from this same company that was delivered this week for my Aston Martin and these polished lips were perfect.

Can you say pissed off on a Friday night. The lips on the Wheels look they are 10 years old
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Kwando
Major
Rep
Drives: Bianchi Super Pista

You shouldn't have touched them imo. Should have went back to who you bought them from. But as a consumer I think you should let everyone know what rims they are and perhaps who you bought them from.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
XR_SIX
Bading-dong!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E93 M3 AW, '09 R6

Garage List
2011.5 E93 M3  [0.00]
Hmm sorry to hear. Can we see some pics of the imperfection?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,R56 S,F22 228iX,F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_SIX View Post
Hmm sorry to hear. Can we see some pics of the imperfection?
+1 - it would be nice to see pics before and after you polished the lips. I also agree with Kwando - it's only going to make things more difficult for you. I hope things get resolved to your satisfaction!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Pointless thread without pics and names man.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Pointless thread without pics and names man.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
jc05e46m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
+1
+1

And you probably shouldn't have touched them. Now they can claim it was your mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
A-Man
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

So its a 'major' issue.. They failed to respond to your complaints.. You arnt happy.. Im confused? Name them so that i don't have to deal with them
      06-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
urBan_dK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
All,

So I received a new set of wheels for E90 M3 today and I was psyched! Even spent crazy money to overnight them to have on the car for a road trip this weekend.

I will not name specifics right now as it is a major issue, but when I received the wheels the polished lips were a mess! I mean a complete mess. Cloudy, scratched inside the lip and major scratches on the outside of the lip. There was also this heavy coating almost like they were oxidizing. So the calls started to get resolution. As a result no response, but I figure I would try and see if could refinish the polished lips myself. Keep in mind I have had many sets over the years (haven't we all) and I know how to care for this material and finish.

Several hours later the polished are more cloudy than before! What the hell is going on? There is no clear coat on these and I am using mothers aluminum power metal. With it being the weekend I do have some time but limited products to get. What do I do??

Also I just bought a set from this same company that was delivered this week for my Aston Martin and these polished lips were perfect.

Can you say pissed off on a Friday night. The lips on the Wheels look they are 10 years old
Huge mistake attempting to polish them yourself. Now the vendor has every reason not to accept your return, along with online evidence that you tried to polish them yourself to back-up their denial of your claim.

I had a very similar issue recently. The wheels were returned due to finish issues on the vendor's dime. I will be getting a full refund shortly.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Sorry Guys for the delay and man you are to quick to jump to negative feedback. Some of us do have other engagements in life to take care of and for some reason I was locked out and could not post all weekend. I was simply asking for educated advice on materials to see if they come out better and not so much as specifically attacking the vendor.

i sent about 50 pictures to the third party dealer and I took a video of opening up the packages (which were overnighted mind you). Yes I am that paranoid from too many bad experiences that I video opening them.

Oh and i forgot to mention that when we went to fit the rear wheels, they did not clear the 380-4 psiton brembo GT kit. Which i thought was bizarre since all the specs were given to them by me well in adavance. Luckily i had a set of 10mm spacers that i have never used and it resolved the issue. Had my girlfirend drive in over an hour of summer traffic to on a Friday night to me, which was fanastic. But come on that is a horrible mistake to make.

everything up to seeing how horrible the polished lips came to me has been a fantastic experience and keep in mind i literally got a set from the same company on Wednesday and they were totally flawless (included a picture of the lips).

I think they should have paid closer attention and done a final inspection before sending these out to me. Its all been fully documented and I have numerous pics and videos of me unwrapping the wheels to verify the quality I received them in.

In the meantime with the major cloudiness in the lips and severe streaks and sctraches, what else can I attempt. If i can get them looking new it will risk a whole lot of headache for everyone involved.

I will be sure to update you from what i hear from the company. I just want to be cautious and not risk damaging an otherwise fantastic process and experience. I am not the type of person to try and inflict insult or harm on the internet. Unless the outcome is unsatisfactory then I will be sure to express to everyone my concern.

Any advice on products would help. I spent about 6 hours on saturday trying to restore them with the products that I have. they got a little better, but the major scratches and streaking looks to be there for good.

Also included pics fo the TTRS, which i forgot to post so long ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

On a side note i guess i am not computer savy. ITs telling me invalid file? Any thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks

Manage Attachments

Upload Errors

M3 Pic of New Wheels:
Invalid File

M3 Wheel damage 1:
Invalid File

M3 Wheel Damage 2:
Invalid File

M3 Wheels Damage 3:
Invalid File

M3 Wheel Damage 4:
Invalid File