BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

04-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've never been so frustrated with such an easy task or install. I absolutely cannot get the LED light locked into the socket. I've tried every pair of pliers I have with no luck. Any pair with jaws wide enough to fit around the circular base of the light leaves me with no room to rotate them to lock the light in. Any tips? Any particular pair of pliers I must use for this?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
kornykidd0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
I've never been so frustrated with such an easy task or install. I absolutely cannot get the LED light locked into the socket. I've tried every pair of pliers I have with no luck. Any pair with jaws wide enough to fit around the circular base of the light leaves me with no room to rotate them to lock the light in. Any tips? Any particular pair of pliers I must use for this?
I have the same problem. I managed to get them in only slightly holding, and then put the heat sink on and tightened it. I used the heat sink to provide a bit of leverage to twist the light source. I don't think its very solid though. Is there a particular orientation that the source needs to be in? I notice that one of the locking tabs is slightly smaller than the other 2...should this be in a certain position before trying to lock it in? Another thing I'm noticing is that the outer ring of my drivers headlight looks like it isn't illuminated when standing in front of the car, but when I crouch down it looks alright. I'm suspecting that the source needs to be properly lined up with the light tubes for uniform distribution at any angle?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornykidd0 View Post
I have the same problem. I managed to get them in only slightly holding, and then put the heat sink on and tightened it. I used the heat sink to provide a bit of leverage to twist the light source. I don't think its very solid though. Is there a particular orientation that the source needs to be in? I notice that one of the locking tabs is slightly smaller than the other 2...should this be in a certain position before trying to lock it in? Another thing I'm noticing is that the outer ring of my drivers headlight looks like it isn't illuminated when standing in front of the car, but when I crouch down it looks alright. I'm suspecting that the source needs to be properly lined up with the light tubes for uniform distribution at any angle?
Well, I managed to get them installed after a trip to the hardware store today. Tried three different sets of pliers there and a 7.5" slip joint pair did the job easily. Try those, kornykidd....took me about 15 minutes total and they're locked in there solid. Look great too.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
kornykidd0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Grabbed a new set of pliers, I had a set of the slip joints and it wasn't cutting it, and I managed to get things worked out I believe. I'll need to wait until it's dark to really check it out but the drivers side is much better seated now and the led housing actually matches up with the halo light tubes. Hope it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #27
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

so the idea is to put the heat sink at the 12 - 6 o'clock position resting right over the lightsource stem?

Just checking, i might be buying soon...
Appreciate 0