BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Question How do I eradicate the smell of spilt octane booster in the trunk? Car stinks.

I had a couple of bottles of octane booster in the trunk of my E92 M3 (we don't get premium fuel readily in India, only at a few pumps) for a couple of weeks when I was on the road a lot. I didn't realise that the seal on one of the bottles was broken and it leaked into the trunk of the car. It must have happened gradually because at first I barely noticed anything, but over a couple of weeks the smell got quite noticeable and I started looking for the cause of it.

Discovered it was a leaking bottle in the trunk, but now my cabin STINKS of octane booster. I've left the trunk and doors open for a couple of days, but that hasn't helped, it's just made my garage stink. The problem is I can't get the panel that hides the flat tyre repair kit under the trunk floor out, so I can't easily clean it. There are also no visible marks of where exactly the leak has seeped into the trunk liner.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this disgusting stench? The car's barely usable this way!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Wow, four days and not one reply! Is there a mod who can help me with this, by shifting this thread to the General M3 Forum? Maybe more people will see the thread there and might offer a suggestion or two. Thanks!

Last edited by kbk_75; 06-27-2011 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: Shift thread to General M3 forum?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Dang sorry to hear. No idea from here. :/

BUMP! Someone help the dude!

Last edited by RayC; 06-30-2011 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

I'd take all of the carpet out of your trunk and shampoo it. And wipe down everything under the carpet.

FYI...octane booster is bad news, I would NOT run it on an M3. I saw the guts of a Subaru motor that had used octane booster with every fillup and it was all orange and nasty from the octane booster leaving deposits and crap. Just suck it up and deal with 91oct or else buy some 100oct to put in your garage and mix with the 91.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
You might also want to try keeping a box of baking soda in the trunk for a while. It should absorb some of the smell. I know some people use a mixture of vinegar and detergent to get gasoline out of clothes, so you can also try that on the panels touched by octane booster (but you'll need to wash them completely afterwards, otherwise, you're trading one nasty smell for another).

PS. What part of India are you in?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Thanks for the replies, guys. The problem is I can't get the trunk panels out (it doesn't have a separate carpet, just the felt lined panels), so I'm gonna have to clean them IN the car!

Open to any other suggestions too.

@ shizzle: I'm in Bombay

There goes my new car smell!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep

So I got some Turtle Wax Interior1 and used it on various parts of the trunk flooring, once last night and again this morning. The smell is dramatically reduced, though it hasn't yet gone completely. Guess I'll use it again in a couple of days' time and drive around with the windows down as much as I can.
Appreciate 0