BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

09-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

08-09 Jaguar XKR thoughts?

Alright so I'm literally about a month away from stepping into a higher level of car, just sold my Evo and was dead set on getting an M3... Then my friend pointed out the "everyday" styling of the M and suggested I check out the Jaguar XKR.

Normally I hate Jags but this car is pretty damn sexy. Now I'm new to this level of cars so I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience or knowledge you could share with me.

For the record, I hate M3 Vs... threads, I'd like to think of this more as a "Hey, inform me on the competition" kinda thread.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Hahaha! I kinda have the same logic, not really a car you'd expect to see a 26 year old (my age) driving. But I'm pretty big on exclusivity, and I've never even seen one of those in person, I definitely wouldn't have to worry about a friend having the same car or that feeling of "Dammit, there's another black XKR in town" for example.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

It is $95k. Not a bad car or anything, but 50% more expensive than the M3.. If you're spending that much, there other cars to look as well. I think you can find a used Aston Martin for example.
      09-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
I'm still laughing at post#2.
As someone else said, I'd much rather have a lightly used Aston Martin Vantage.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

I'd rather have a used vantage too, but it's probably 20-30K more.

I think the XKR is a gorgeous car, but think I'd have a hard time choosing one over a used M6. Both can be found for around 50K I believe.

Or a GTR....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
It is $95k. Not a bad car or anything, but 50% more expensive than the M3.. If you're spending that much, there other cars to look as well. I think you can find a used Aston Martin for example.
That's why I said 08-09, they seemed to be priced just a little above 08-09 M3s.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTempted View Post
That's why I said 08-09, they seemed to be priced just a little above 08-09 M3s.
Oh sorry I didn't notice that.
      09-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

No worries.

I just watched a video that might have sold me on looking into a black one. So sexy...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

My wife has an XKR. It is a great car and very fast. Not as raw edged as an M3 but both cars have a level of performance that can not be approached on public roads by a sane person.

The Jag is primarily a road car and I don't think a lot of owners use them as track cars but they do a very respectable job of getting around a track.

They are intended to be GT cars and that is exactly what they are. The XKR is a fast, luxurious high speed tourer.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
My wife has an XKR. It is a great car and very fast. Not as raw edged as an M3 but both cars have a level of performance that can not be approached on public roads by a sane person.

The Jag is primarily a road car and I don't think a lot of owners use them as track cars but they do a very respectable job of getting around a track.

They are intended to be GT cars and that is exactly what they are. The XKR is a fast, luxurious high speed tourer.

CA
To be honest I never intend to track any of the cars I've had so I'm sure the XKR would be sure to give me what I'd be looking for in terms of performance and fit-and-finish.

Glad to see nobody's got any negative experiences with the XKR. I think it'll eventually come down to the almighty test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be honest I never intend to track any of the cars I've had so I'm sure the XKR would be sure to give me what I'd be looking for in terms of performance and fit-and-finish.

Glad to see nobody's got any negative experiences with the XKR. I think it'll eventually come down to the almighty test drive.
If you are truly serious about driving on a track you are eventually going to have to get a dedicated track car. Both the M3 and XKR are road cars, both are very high performance, both combine luxury with performance. The Jag XK is not very common and is not going to be confused with a similar looking model (except perhaps for an Aston Martin).

Fit and finish on the XKR is superb and the quality of the materials in the interior is a cut above a 3 Series BMW including an M3. The Jag is very good at dealing with road imperfections particularly when compared to a BMW with RFTs.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

I had about 30 mins of solid seat time in a 2010 or 2011 Jaguar XKR. The experience was part of a driving package that included a continental GT supersport, Gallardo Superleggera, F430, and SLR Mclaren.

Here is the review that I wrote about the XKR

As I got into the seat, I spent some time admiring the interior. I was smitten by the leather seats, and especially the gorgeous piping on the edges. Jaguar's emphasis on form and function is clearly evident. The first thing to note is that this car is more grand tourer than hardcore sportscar. The automatic transmission shifts quickly, but comfortably. The 510 hp supercharged V8 is an absolute gem with performance that firmly pushed me back into my seat as it propelled the jag into triple digits. Despite the luxury, the cat showed its raw side with engine pops and backfires during aggressive downshifts. I absolutely loved this car because like my M3 I can see it performing multiple functions well, and I could never get tired of looking at this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
I had about 30 mins of solid seat time in a 2010 or 2011 Jaguar XKR. The experience was part of a driving package that included a continental GT supersport, Gallardo Superleggera, F430, and SLR Mclaren.

As I got into the seat, I spent some time admiring the interior. I was smitten by the leather seats, and especially the gorgeous piping on the edges. Jaguar's emphasis on form and function is clearly evident. The first thing to note is that this car is more grand tourer than hardcore sportscar. The automatic transmission shifts quickly, but comfortably. The 510 hp supercharged V8 is an absolute gem with performance that firmly pushed me back into my seat as it propelled the jag into triple digits. Despite the luxury, the cat showed its raw side with engine pops and backfires during aggressive downshifts. I absolutely loved this car because like my M3 I can see it performing multiple functions well, and I could never get tired of looking at this car.
Excellent review. That sums up my feelings about the XKR as well.

CA

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

I looked at the XKR a few cars back. I liked a lot about it but one thing I remember that struck me as cheap? was the roof lining. Seemed like domestic rental type stuff. I really liked the idea of a luxury car with a sporty suspension and a supercharged v8. In the end I actually came closer to getting the XJR but ended up with a 550 (M Sport, carbon black). Very nice cars. Anyway, I think we all the know M3 is really without equal, at any price .

Last edited by 1Sleeper; 09-01-2011 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Shut it
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post

Thanks for the review. Too bad 2010 was the first year with the 5 liter, those are out of my price range.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

my dad had an 08 XKR (vert) for the past three years. I spent a lot of time in it. it's not a car that you would buy to take to the track - it's simply a gorgeous GT car inside and out that oozes class and style. the engine/exhaust note ain't bad either. if you really want to compare it to the M, just think of it as a notch or two to the street side of the street<-->track continuum in all aspects of performance and driver feel (esp. the steering and the suspension, which allows much more body roll).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

drive the xkr, it will rip your spine out....That's all that needs to said.

I do agree however, the jag is for an "older" crowd.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
drive the xkr, it will rip your spine out....That's all that needs to said.

I do agree however, the jag is for an "older" crowd.

I think any car that costs $100,000 is for an "older" crowd.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-01-2011 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #19
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think any car that cost $100,000 is for an "older" crowd.

CA
True.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #20
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I myself am looking at a 2010 Jag XKR to replace my M3....but not so sure I am doing the right move, so not really pushing it.

I say forget about 08-09 XKR with the old 420 hp engine...they are considerably slower than M3. If you can, get a XKR with the 510 hp, otherwise my advice is to get the M3.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
I myself am looking at a 2010 Jag XKR to replace my M3....but not so sure I am doing the right move, so not really pushing it.

I say forget about 08-09 XKR with the old 420 hp engine...they are considerably slower than M3. If you can, get a XKR with the 510 hp, otherwise my advice is to get the M3.
Thanks for that advice.
I'm currently trying to figure out how I could afford the 2010. I KNOW if I were to get an 08-09 that feeling of "There's still a better version out there" would kill me. I can't shake this sickness of always wanting the latest and greatest. I may just have to delay my car plans for a little while longer and save up that much more.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:

Thanks for that advice.
I'm currently trying to figure out how I could afford the 2010. I KNOW if I were to get an 08-09 that feeling of "There's still a better version out there" would kill me. I can't shake this sickness of always wanting the latest and greatest. I may just have to delay my car plans for a little while longer and save up that much more.
Then you might want to know they refreshed things for 2012, oh and there is the beastly XKR-S for 2012. There will always be something newer and "better". The chase will never end.
Appreciate 0