BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

05-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
svenjosh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Thinking of switching from BMW m3 to Audi S4

I am currently driving a BMW M3 DCT. I took over the lease to help a friend, the miles are almost used but still 6 months remain. I spoke with several BMW dealers and basically it boils down to this. If I wait for 4 more months then I could get a better deal for a lease end buy out, but since it is more than 6 months before lease end they will not be able to do much right now. So I have to return this car. This is a done deal so I am not looking for any suggestions in this regard.

Now I have to get a new car. I want this to be a daily driver, no track days period. I have a modded 997.2 C2S for tracking.

I was looking at BMW M3 and I also drove the Audi B8 S4. Considering that this is strictly a daily driver for my purpose what would you recommend. I like suggestions from drivers with reasonable experience with these two cars. Right now I am leaning more towards S4 and am almost close to buying but would like some input from some others with similar experience.

Please note I am not leasing but buying the new car outright.

Sven
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I seriously considered the b8 s4. Love that car. Great power, subtle styling, good fuel efficiency and awd (which is huge for me as winters here get pretty bad). The one problem with that car though is the carbon build up issues that direct injection engines seem to be having (GTI's, rs4's, s4's, etc.) If you are only leasing then it is a non-issue, but if you are buying and intend to keep it for a while you may want to read up about the possible concerns. In the end I'm glad i went with the m3, it is a better car all-around in my opinion. But as a daily driver the s4 is a nice ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
DP8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

If I had a 997.2 C2S for tracking/weekend driving I would probably go for the S4 as the pure daily. S4 you get almost the performance of the M3 but superior gas mileage and range (M3s range is not good as you probably know) and if you want to go for a spirited drive you can take the Porsche out!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

just speaking from experience....I just came out of an RS4, prior to that was an S4....all I can tell you is that I have been a loyal Audi customer for 16 yrs....5 cars in total....Now that I own a M3....Ill never go back....I now know and have an understanding why BMW is the benchmark in so many areas. there is nothing like it in its class!
two things irritated me about my last car....crappy cheap plastics that scratched and scuffed.....by year two, the interior looked like shit!
the shifter during year two of ownership became sloppy...when in gear...the shifter had so much play in it....just felt worn out and cheap.
My S4 gave me the biggest issue and although I did purchase my RS4 after it, I had a major issue with Audi canada. I complained of having issues with my tranny...especially 2nd gear....they recognized the problem but could not find pinpoint the problem...I brought it back four times....they said they are looking into it.....I called them and demanded they take care of the issue so they told me to bring it in two weeks.
I showed up at the dealer.....and the informed me that I am now out of the warranty period and it expired one month ago and that they will not cover it!
im not saying BMW has better service...but that one situation was brutal!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep

by the way...read this before buying:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387253
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Why don't you go for the 335is instead of the S4? Much better car than the Audi S4.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

The S4 offers 4 doors whereas the 335is does not. This is a big practicality concern.

Dallas doesn't get snow so Quattro really isn't bringing much to the table except oversteer and reduced gas mileage.

S4 has a better interior than a 335is.

Other than that...if you're looking for a fun-to-drive daily driver, I see the 335is walking all over the S4. But who cares what random people on the internet say? Test drive both!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i thought the s4 got about the same mpg as the m3?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
Sorry the 335is is not going to walk over the S4. Look at some track and magazine numbers before such an assumption. 0-60 time going to 335is while the 1/4mile time going to the S4. On a track it is still a drivers race no walking over the S4.

S4

Pro : New design, Interior, 4doors, better of the line, larger
Cons : Possible carbon buildup, larger, Audi Customer Service

335is

Pros: Easier to mod currently, smaller, little more fun
Cons : Design change soon, New engine reliability, Interior

He said the 335is would walk over the S4 as a fun to drive daily car, which I tend to believe he may be right.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
BLU_GTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3│GL63│GTR

Garage List
2013 Nissan GT-R  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2015 GL63 AMG  [0.00]
2012 M3  [0.00]
Imo i would get the 335is. BMW's are just such a blast to drive not that Audi isn't, i would just personally stick to a BMW, the handling and weight distrabution just takes the cake.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #11
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

why get another sports car when u have a CS2?
get a FJ Cruiser and do some off roading fun!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Can't speak about the new b8 but I swap back and fourth between my m3 (e92) and my wife's b7 s4 every other day. The s4 is a nice car but I wouldn't give my m3 up for it. They both have their strong points.

Comfort:
As a daily driver I actually think a stock m3 is more comfortable than the s4. Even on springs my m3 has a softer ride while handling is better. The suspension on the s4 is too harsh (even for someone like me whose had coilovers on all my previous cars). I'm sure the b8 is better since they have their own version of edc now.

Gas:
The m3 has slightly better gas mileage. It could be the awd in the s4 that makes it worse.

Handling:
I understand you have a track car but don't you want to have fun on your daily commute? The s4 is fast but it doesn't have the same "push you in your seat" feel like the m3. Handling wise the s4 is no slouch but the m3 inspires more confidence (maybe it's in my head). In the snow the s4 combined with snow tires is like a tank (but I don't think you'll have that issue).

To me the s4 is understated and is a great car. I'm more civil when I drive it. When I get in the m3, 90% of the time I feel like I need to rev it to redline. It's just something about the m3 that makes me want to drive faster (could be bad I guess).

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
svenjosh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Thank you all for the replies, nice info from owners who had experience with both cars. I currently live in Oklahoma city and drive to Kansas city and Denver several times a year for business purposes so the reason for my leaning towards the quattro of S4.

I am not interested in the 335is because we already have a 335xi (wifey's) and I have a jb3 on it. I am not interested in BMW doing the chip for me and asking me almost the price of M3 (actually with an M upgrade it is as expensive as M3), i might as well buy the real thing for the same price. I do not believe the 335is would walk over a S4.

The significant gas mileage advantage of S4 and the fact that it is usable as a comfortable daily driver, while having a sporty drive if I want to, is what is attracting me. The interior, console and audio system are very nice and subjectively better than any BMW at least for me, but the superb drive that the M3 offers is what is keeping me hesitating.

Hope to drive a S4 with a sport rear differential this weekend and would make a decision by this weekend.

Sven
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep

wow...going from an M3 to an S4!
I just went from a RS4 to an M3 and that was a gigantic upgrade. the op is going to an S4 from a M3...yikes....what a downgrade!!!
I give you one week and you'll be contemplating suicide...JK....but damn...give ur head a shake man!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #15
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian beauty View Post
wow...going from an M3 to an S4!
I just went from a RS4 to an M3 and that was a gigantic upgrade. the op is going to an S4 from a M3...yikes....what a downgrade!!!
I give you one week and you'll be contemplating suicide...JK....but damn...give ur head a shake man!
We get it you love your new car.

But it sounds more like you know you wasted a ridiculous amount of money on the RS4 and now are trying to appear like you make good decisions with your car purchases.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quattro rocks!!!!! I have an X3 and the Audi's out perform me in the snow 10 outta 10 times........ BUT and it is a BIG FAT BUTT!!!! Audi's are basic looking sedans. Performance is on par, not the BEST and far from the worst. Living over here in Germany i have had the opportunity to drive just about every high powered German car and after 2 years of test driving , comptemplating and test driving more.... BMW M3 was the way to go for me. The C63, RS4, S4, VW Passat w8, ..... just dont inspire the confidence the M3 does, safety wise, performance wise and comfort wise.

You sound like your mind is made up and in America, an S4 is a GREAT car and a head turner, here in Germany........ its just another Audi. Good luck with your decision, an expensive one anyway you look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenjosh View Post
I am currently driving a BMW M3 DCT. I took over the lease to help a friend, the miles are almost used but still 6 months remain. I spoke with several BMW dealers and basically it boils down to this. If I wait for 4 more months then I could get a better deal for a lease end buy out, but since it is more than 6 months before lease end they will not be able to do much right now. So I have to return this car. This is a done deal so I am not looking for any suggestions in this regard.

Now I have to get a new car. I want this to be a daily driver, no track days period. I have a modded 997.2 C2S for tracking.

I was looking at BMW M3 and I also drove the Audi B8 S4. Considering that this is strictly a daily driver for my purpose what would you recommend. I like suggestions from drivers with reasonable experience with these two cars. Right now I am leaning more towards S4 and am almost close to buying but would like some input from some others with similar experience.

Please note I am not leasing but buying the new car outright.

Sven
s4 from m3? are you crazy?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #18
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
We get it you love your new car.

But it sounds more like you know you wasted a ridiculous amount of money on the RS4 and now are trying to appear like you make good decisions with your car purchases.
do you ever play nice?
you always take shots at guys that favour BMW....its a BMW forum for god sakes!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #19
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
do you ever play nice?
you always take shots at guys that favour BMW....its a BMW forum for god sakes!
Pot meet kettle.

One, I don't recall ever speaking to you.

Two, if you look at my sig, I also own a new BMW, but get tired of fanbois that think that BMW's are the only choice out there. True enthusiasts can appreciate the merits of different vehicles. There are too many subjective factors that go into a car purchase to make any one brand or line the "perfect" vehicle for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #20
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Why don't you go for the 335is instead of the S4? Much better car than the Audi S4.
I wouldn't exactly say that. Bet you have driven neither.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #21
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
I wouldn't exactly say that. Bet you have driven neither.
I bet you haven't driven at least one of them, yet you too express an opinion.

BMW is a better driver car than Audi, that's why I am sure the 335is is a better car than Audi S4.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #22
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
I bet you haven't driven at least one of them, yet you too express an opinion.

BMW is a better driver car than Audi, that's why I am sure the 335is is a better car than Audi S4.
Not entirely true.. past Audis were shittier quality. Today Audi makes a damn fine vehicle and creature comfort wise I think that the interior of the Audi is done better than BMW. Performance wise I believe BMW is a better car, that is why I went BMW instead of RS4. That being said, the Audi is a great daily driver. Fact is that ALL German high end brands are AWESOME cars. Audi, BMW, Mercedes and VW. I have been in a few VW Passats that kill the BMW interior wise.