BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

TRmotorsports with Square or without??

I've been reading a lot about different track set up's and there is no doubt the TRmotorsport wheels are the way to go. I have been tracking my E92 for about 6 events now and have 3 scheduled. This has been the first time I have ever tracked a car and I am not stopping so my question is it worth looking at a square set up vs a high performance summer tire? I know I will use these wheels only for track days and I know I will be doing as many events as I can however running in B groups is it worth going to a Square set up? I do have to drive to most tracks about 150 miles from home. Suggestions?
      04-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 2012, M4 GTS Sold

IMHO; 4 TRMotorsports 10" wide all around 4 Toyo 888 - 285/30/18
Can't beat it for the price. BFG-R1 are OK but not as good at Toyo's

BTW I have no rubbing issues at all.

I also carry the tires in the back with the seats folded down. The tires are standing up on the tread side by side. All four tires fit well in either 275 or 285 sizes. (2-285's and 2-315's are a little large but still fit in the back seat). Block the tires with the passenger seat and stuff piled behind the drivers seat. I used to put the jack handle in the spokes to stop the tires from moving.
From moving independently. Works really well and you have the whole trunk area for tools luggage etc. Especially nice with my 7 suitcase wife, when she goes.
Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
I've been reading a lot about different track set up's and there is no doubt the TRmotorsport wheels are the way to go. I have been tracking my E92 for about 6 events now and have 3 scheduled. This has been the first time I have ever tracked a car and I am not stopping so my question is it worth looking at a square set up vs a high performance summer tire? I know I will use these wheels only for track days and I know I will be doing as many events as I can however running in B groups is it worth going to a Square set up? I do have to drive to most tracks about 150 miles from home. Suggestions?

Last edited by MarksM; 04-24-2009 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To clarify my question is are people running tires like the Michelin Sport Cups or the Potentenza RE-01R's as a track tire? How do they like the performance? These look like a good alternative from the Compound R tires if you live long distance from the track.
      04-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksM View Post
IMHO; 4 TRMotorsports 10" wide all around 4 Toyo 888 - 285/30/18
Can't beat it for the price. BFG-R1 are OK but not as good at Toyo's
Are you talking about the MT1? I'm trying to come up with a good setup too, I was/am looking at square Advan RS's but I can't seem to find anyone who has them in stock, and they're expensive.

TR Motorsports 10" all around would be cheaper and better, but I'm a n00b in this too - Is what you're suggesting the TRM MT1 18x10 +25's all around? That works in the front too? Spacers needed?

Sorry for all the questions, I have the money burning a hole in my pocket and a track day in a few weeks.
      04-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

+1 looking at this same set up. Thinking of tr motorsports in the 18x9.5 with 265/35/18 all the way around. Would the 285/30/18 have fitament issues up front. I too have a 100 mile drive to the track and would probably switch setups the night before and drive down on the more aggresive tires? update. just called tire rack and tr motorsprts are backordered until june. of course?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 04-21-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Subscribing to thread. This is the setup I am interesting in as well.

TRMotorsport MT1 with 275 or 285 on 18" all around. Not sure if I am going to go with DOT track or Extreme Performance tires. I think I would rather not change the wheels at the track.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes the TR Motorsport MT1 is the wheel I am looking at. On another thread, BMW M Power Mexico just purchased these 18X10 all around with 275's! He did talk a little about rubbing however he is taking it to the track this weekend and will report back. I also believe he purchased a R compound track tire.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230447

I'm thinking 18x10 with 265 all around... However I am stuck on the tire. The R compound looks great however I am drive a couple hundred plies back and fourth from the track so I started looking at tires like the Michelin Cups.. They are more of a extreme summer tire / track tire.. I believe Dunlop and Bridgestone makes tires like this also.
      04-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Is there a source for the MT1's besides Tire Rack?

And can someone confirm fitment of the 10's vs the 9.5's? (Actually, MarksM, it looks like you *are* confirming it in that other thread - I wasn't sure from your phrasing here if you were recommending that setup based on it being a good idea or experience.

It's kind of a bummer (and surprising to me!) that there's so much ambiguity around this. Then again what do I know, maybe that's common with aftermarket wheels.
      04-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

There is a 9" MT1 that will fit on the front without rubbing. I've looked into the 9.5 and the 10", and they would both probably have some rubbing issues.

There is some ambiguity about what can be used because rubbing is often a matter of millimeters. So camber settings, ride height differences, even slight variations from one example of the car to the next can make a difference.

There are also varying levels of tolerance for rubbing. For some people, any rubbing would count as not fitting. For others, occasional rubbing is to be expected with an aggressive setup. Some people will trim or reshape a fender liner, or roll the fender lip to get the size they want to fit.

As far as other sources for the wheel, Tire Rack is the only official distributor of TR Motorsport wheels. You could buy them from someone who bought them from us though
      04-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
There is a 9" MT1 that will fit on the front without rubbing. I've looked into the 9.5 and the 10", and they would both probably have some rubbing issues.

There is some ambiguity about what can be used because rubbing is often a matter of millimeters. So camber settings, ride height differences, even slight variations from one example of the car to the next can make a difference.

There are also varying levels of tolerance for rubbing. For some people, any rubbing would count as not fitting. For others, occasional rubbing is to be expected with an aggressive setup. Some people will trim or reshape a fender liner, or roll the fender lip to get the size they want to fit.

As far as other sources for the wheel, Tire Rack is the only official distributor of TR Motorsport wheels. You could buy them from someone who bought them from us though
Thanks for the info Ben!
      04-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
Yes the TR Motorsport MT1 is the wheel I am looking at. On another thread, BMW M Power Mexico just purchased these 18X10 all around with 275's! He did talk a little about rubbing however he is taking it to the track this weekend and will report back. I also believe he purchased a R compound track tire.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230447

I'm thinking 18x10 with 265 all around... However I am stuck on the tire. The R compound looks great however I am drive a couple hundred plies back and fourth from the track so I started looking at tires like the Michelin Cups.. They are more of a extreme summer tire / track tire.. I believe Dunlop and Bridgestone makes tires like this also.
That's right. Can't wait for Saturday to arrive!

Rubbing is very slight on the inner fender liner (when close to full steering lock) at the front with the 275/35-18 R1s on the 10" TR Motorsports wheels. I think a 265/35 would just barely clear and I might go for that after I wear these out. The 285/30 idea might also work as the diameter of that is quite smaller than 275/35. However, the 275s barely clear the strut so a 285 might have clearance issue there.

I think & hope that the rubbing on the 275s will only be an issue when parking since I don't come close to that steering lock anywhere on the track. However, like m3larson said, I will report back on Saturday night or Sunday.

For fun I test fitted the wheels/tires today also on my E46. Rubbing is much worse on the E46. Both E90 & E46 have stock suspension. However, I am having the E90 aligned today for max negative camber which on the stock suspension I think will come out to about -1.4.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Do you think if you lowered your car those wheels would not fit?