BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Fabspeed X-pipe W/O Res. and OEM exhaust??

Like the title states, has anyone run the Fabspeed X-pipe Secondary Cat delete without resonators and OEM exhaust on a E9x M3?
I'm looking to do this mod and I've searched the forum but did not find anyone who have done this setup.
I've already seen Fabspeed video's with their X-pipe WITH resonators and OEM exhaust as well as their X-pipe connected to their HFC's but nothing with the setup I mentioned.
I'm guessing this setup may sound similar to the OEM perforated exhaust mod since this pipe comes without resonators?
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Can you point me to that video with the OEM exhaust paired with fabspeed x-pipe and HFC's?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
PaneristiDriver
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Likely wont notice too much of a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Can you point me to that video with the OEM exhaust paired with fabspeed x-pipe and HFC's?

I help you now you help me
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiDriver View Post
Likely wont notice too much of a difference.
This the SOSI X-pipe Secondary cat delete and resonator delete.

There is a noticeable difference between this and stock.
This might be the closest I can get to comparing the sound of the Fabspeed - secondary cat and resonator delete and this Sosi X-pipe sound?
When you do the OEM exhaust mod (perforated method) you are replacing the perforated pipes with regular pipes. I would think its safe to assume that removing the resonators from the X-pipe will accomplish a similar result?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
This video has an aftermarket rear exhaust so tells you nothing about how OEM or OEM with perforated will sound. It is a total waste to fabricate the setup you talk about with xpipe, secondary cat and no resonator. Why I ask? Resonators do not decrease performance and they do not really quiet anything but rather just drowns out certain tones.

Secondary cat and the trouble of welding may get you 1-2hp.

You can get the sound you are looking for with OEM rear by simply buying an xipe with high flow cats and a resonator and replacing your entire primary xipe with both cats and resonators
Thanks for the reply M3alabama, but you're WRONG about the video showing an aftermarket exhaust. I spoke with the SOSI boys personally and this video is in fact a BONE STOCK M3 with OEM exhaust and SOSI X-pipe.
Take another look at the tail pipes and go out to your garage and take a look at the pipes on your own car. They are the same
Still don't believe me? Go to youtube.com and type in SOSI X pipe and M3 to locate this video. The description for the video ALSO says SOSI X-pipe paired with OEM exhaust. Description provided by SOSI themselves.

As far as horsepower gains, that can vary from car to car, conditions and dyno. SOSI has seen 14 rwhp from some of their clients cars and Fabspeed has seen 15 rwhp from their X-pipe with resonators. Some others on the forum have seen upwards of 10 rwhp.
Again, this can vary dramatically from car to car etc but that isn't the most important thing for me doing this mod..

As for the sound, I want a little more sound than OEM but not a "race" type of sound that produces drone. The OEM exhaust mod gives you this and I think the X-pipe I'm after (Fabspeed X-pipe secondary cat delete w/o resonators) will give me what I'm looking for as well. X-pipe with HFC will be too loud for my taste..

"Trouble with welding" will depend on the shop you get it done at or if you DIY

Last edited by DiavelM3; 08-02-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post

I help you now you help me
LOL thank you for the Vid. I'll try to find something for you. If I had no resonators I would throw on my OEM rear section and take a vid for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
PaneristiDriver
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post
This the SOSI X-pipe Secondary cat delete and resonator delete.

There is a noticeable difference between this and stock.
This might be the closest I can get to comparing the sound of the Fabspeed - secondary cat and resonator delete and this Sosi X-pipe sound?
When you do the OEM exhaust mod (perforated method) you are replacing the perforated pipes with regular pipes. I would think its safe to assume that removing the resonators from the X-pipe will accomplish a similar result?
I have personally heard a car with secondary cat delete/resonator delete with an otherwise stock exhaust and stock muffler and there wasnt a big difference.

Doing the OEM exhaust mod makes a bigger overall difference than deleting secondary cats and resonators.

I have a resonated, catless x pipe and bastuck exhaust (currently) so that is what I run for reference, but I dont think just doing an x pipe makes enough of a difference worth installing. Thats MY opinion.

If just deleting the resonators and secondary cats works for you, by all means, but for me its still far too miniscule of a difference to see the value in hacking up your stock x pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
rockd
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiDriver View Post
I have personally heard a car with secondary cat delete/resonator delete with an otherwise stock exhaust and stock muffler and there wasnt a big difference.

Doing the OEM exhaust mod makes a bigger overall difference than deleting secondary cats and resonators.

I have a resonated, catless x pipe and bastuck exhaust (currently) so that is what I run for reference, but I dont think just doing an x pipe makes enough of a difference worth installing. Thats MY opinion.

If just deleting the resonators and secondary cats works for you, by all means, but for me its still far too miniscule of a difference to see the value in hacking up your stock x pipe.
Versus hacking up your muffler? Don't you think that's a much bigger task? At least you can return the x-pipe to stock if you'd like to. Once you do the muffler mod, there's pretty much no going back...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockd View Post
Versus hacking up your muffler? Don't you think that's a much bigger task? At least you can return the x-pipe to stock if you'd like to. Once you do the muffler mod, there's pretty much no going back...

I think I would rather try the X-pipe method first and go from there.
From the sound of the SOSI video, it's just the sound I'm looking for without it being too loud. Nice and low at idle but a racy sound to it when revving or WOT
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
PaneristiDriver
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockd View Post
Personally...I don't even like the oem mod much hence why I have a full system. What I like better about the oem mod is that a stock exhaust for $150 is easy to come by more so than an oem x pipe. So you keep your stock muffler, use the other and can always sway back. Either will cost about the same too with the oem mod maybe being a little cheaper (though not by much).
On another note, unless you do the acm oem mod, most probably wouldn't even know the exhaust was modded if you paint it.
Appreciate 0