BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

06-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Ride Height Adjustment and Alignment

Those of you with coilovers - when you adjust your ride height, do you get your cars realigned? Adjusting ride height changes the suspension geometry, but if your car was well aligned to begin with, I'm wondering if minor ride height changes are significant enough to warrant further aligning and corner balancing. Thoughts?

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
raiste
Time is the fire in which we burn.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SSII M3

I was wondering the same thing, though I will only be putting lowering springs on.

I can't figure out what would change in the suspension that requires an alignment due to lowering springs/coil-overs. Especially if the ride height is changed less than 1 inch.

Now that I think about it, I guess there might be a little more negative camber and an little more Toe-in.

Last edited by raiste; 06-09-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep

Installing lowering springs probably warrants an alignment because you'll be disassembling parts of the suspension in order to put the new springs in. My question is, once you've installed a coilover system and aligned the car, do minor ride height adjustments at that point require re-alignment?

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Definitely get an alignment when you first install coilover/springs. A friend installed KW V1s on his 335i, and at the same time, brand new tires. We left on a road trip, and he went through a set of rears in 3,000 MILES! His rear alignment was way, way out.

I myself would do an alignment with each adjustment, but I'm kind of OCD that way - I don't have the theory to back it up, but I just feel more comfortable doing it that way.
      06-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you are only adjusting the height by <10mm, you would probably be OK w/o an alignment.

Anything more than that, and alignment is recommended.

Keep in mind that the car's camber and toe change as your ride height changes. Therefore, when you lower your car by a considerable amount, your alignment changes accordingly, and various parameters need to be "reset" based on the new ride height.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
If you are only adjusting the height by <10mm, you would probably be OK w/o an alignment.

Anything more than that, and alignment is recommended.

Keep in mind that the car's camber and toe change as your ride height changes. Therefore, when you lower your car by a considerable amount, your alignment changes accordingly, and various parameters need to be "reset" based on the new ride height.
Thanks, this is good advice. Completely understand that height adjustments have an impact on camber and toe. My question was mainly about others' experiences: at what point do people feel the need to re-align? I was always under the assumption that very minor height adjustments (<10mm, as you point out) on an already well aligned car should be fine. Larger adjustments, though, require alignment and sometimes corner balancing.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM3 View Post
Thanks, this is good advice. Completely understand that height adjustments have an impact on camber and toe. My question was mainly about others' experiences: at what point do people feel the need to re-align? I was always under the assumption that very minor height adjustments (<10mm, as you point out) on an already well aligned car should be fine. Larger adjustments, though, require alignment and sometimes corner balancing.
i raised my front by .5 inches. Before raising it, I had a negative camber so maybe raising it a little will offset it.
Appreciate 0