Mporium BMW

09-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
MikeB2
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Angry Oil Maintenence - 'Max' Oil level Reading

Dear All,

The oil indicator on the dash was showning that the oil level had dropped to about half way to the 'middle line. So I decided to top it up to the top arrow. I did this in stages, by adding 250ml of oil at a time. After 3 x 250ml top ups no change registered on the oil level reading. I had left a day inbetween top-ups and driven the car such that the oil was up the temp and the reading had registered a level.

I then added the remaining 250ml, and the reading moved to show it was at the 'Max' level and I needed to take into the dealer.

I called the dealer and when through what I'd done. He recommeded I drain off 500ml and start again.

I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar, and whether the electronic oil level reading in their car was as unreliable as mine!.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

I've only ever topped up my oil when the car has told me to. By the sound of things you've added additional oil on your own decision.
      09-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
I've only ever topped up my oil when the car has told me to. By the sound of things you've added additional oil on your own decision.
Same here. Car says add oil. I add one litre. Level is perfect. Happens about every 5k.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Yhea... Just drain out the front sump... Should bring it down enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

My car engine oil goes from full to half to 'add oil' and back from time to time but am cautious with adding. Ensure you're measuring after engine is at working temp and at the same place (assuming it's relatively flat) each time if possible.

Id have to be seeing the add oil inidcator for a good couple of readings (no more than 50 miles) before I take it seriously. Also ignore the reading the car takes on it's own accord during actually travel.
      09-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjord View Post
Same here. Car says add oil. I add one litre. Level is perfect. Happens about every 5k.
+1, always keep a litre in the boot
      01-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
vanmoo
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Max oil level

Did the same here ... oil indicator was getting close to MIN. I added in 1/2 liter of Mobil 1 0W-40 with the engine warm. I checked the oil indicator again after about 8 minutes and there appeared to be little or no change. I added in the remainder of the oil (for a total of 1 liter). 20 minutes later the oil level was reading EXACTLY at MAX. Notwithstanding the fact I would prefer it to be a wee under MAX, is MAX okay? The car reports that the oil is 'OK' but if it was over-filled would it report otherwise (i.e. alter to a problem)? I would drain off a little but cannot get under the car to find/open the drain.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmoo View Post
Did the same here ... oil indicator was getting close to MIN. I added in 1/2 liter of Mobil 1 0W-40 with the engine warm. I checked the oil indicator again after about 8 minutes and there appeared to be little or no change. I added in the remainder of the oil (for a total of 1 liter). 20 minutes later the oil level was reading EXACTLY at MAX. Notwithstanding the fact I would prefer it to be a wee under MAX, is MAX okay? The car reports that the oil is 'OK' but if it was over-filled would it report otherwise (i.e. alter to a problem)? I would drain off a little but cannot get under the car to find/open the drain.
I do hope you don't have an M3

The electronic indicators do take a while to register the level
      01-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

The owner's manual actually says don't add oil until it tells you to add 1 liter. and it won't register correctly if you add anything less than half a liter. I freaked out when mine said add 1 liter, added one the next day, drove around, then it read right at MAX... good enough.
Appreciate 0