BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

03-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #23
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
An R8 is considerably more expensive then an M3! Is it not?
Yes it is quite more, which makes it an odd comparison. My R8 in 6mt, carbon blades, carbon options, premium pkg, enhanced lthr, alcantara liner, B&O system, plus a few other goodies came out to a tick over $145k.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #24
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

I had an '08 in Ice Silver in Rtronic, but never warmed up to the transmission. Especially after going with DCT, so I sold it before the market on the R8s dropped and purchased a very nicely optioned manual. Here's mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #25
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

I would say between the 3 that you are looking at the PDK feels the strongest from the start with the R8 as a close second and of course the M3 trails a little behind. All comes down to what you need and what you desire. Good luck on purchase

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #26
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I just saw an r8 on the way home from class and I vote R8
lol
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #27
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

R8. I don't even have to think about it.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 02:55 AM   #28
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Don't go for the new 997C2S, for one thing you will constantly have to explain to people the differences between your newer model with all the older ones that started with the 993. Apart for that it's interior boarders on boring in much the same way as the M3 does, so when you are not driving the socks off it you are basically steering an unexciting box.

The M3 is the practical choice and it does this and drives probably as well as the Porsche though out of the three the M3 has the worse steering feel and is the closest to owning a family car with all the trimmings. It's mighty quick but it's still a 3 series in this company.

No for me the only option is the R8 if the expense and practical needs don't concern you, it's not only the most thrilling to drive but it's also the only one with nearly zero understeer and has the most progressive switch into oversteer. It's also surprisingly quiet when you want it to be and yet should you plant your foot down the noise is probably better than most anything this side of a true supercar from Italy. It's also has an interior to die for and it even excites just sitting in it without even turning the key, ain't that right inmotion.

The only thing you don't want is the R-Tronic option, it's fine on the track and almost all SMGs are but in traffic and at normal driving pace it's not great and doesn't live up to the standard set by the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #29
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Don't go for the new 997C2S, for one thing you will constantly have to explain to people the differences between your newer model with all the older ones that started with the 993. Apart for that it's interior boarders on boring in much the same way as the M3 does, so when you are not driving the socks off it you are basically steering an unexciting box.

The M3 is the practical choice and it does this and drives probably as well as the Porsche though out of the three the M3 has the worse steering feel and is the closest to owning a family car with all the trimmings. It's mighty quick but it's still a 3 series in this company.

No for me the only option is the R8 if the expense and practical needs don't concern you, it's not only the most thrilling to drive but it's also the only one with nearly zero understeer and has the most progressive switch into oversteer. It's also surprisingly quiet when you want it to be and yet should you plant your foot down the noise is probably better than most anything this side of a true supercar from Italy. It's also has an interior to die for and it even excites just sitting in it without even turning the key, ain't that right inmotion.

The only thing you don't want is the R-Tronic option, it's fine on the track and almost all SMGs are but in traffic and at normal driving pace it's not great and doesn't live up to the standard set by the rest of the car.
That is like saying don't got for a Patek Philippe because most people only know Rolex.

Why buy your car with other people in mind? Who cares if someone doesn't know the difference between a 993 or 997? The cool thing is, those that know, KNOW.

The R8 looks different, stands out, but the engine is the weak point. Now, if we are talking about the V10, go all the way, but then might as well look at Gallardos and get a raging bull instead of a neutered one.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #30
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I'd say C2S with PDK, I almost bought one but the mk1 997S...This one should be al little bit more rifined but it sure isn't a GT3, I know.

That's why I bought the M3, it suits my needs.

Never thought of the R8: Way too expensive for just an Audi. And not supersexy/superfast either...
And I don't buy cars with having other people in mind.LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:31 AM   #31
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
R8, M3, C2S

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #32
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
That is like saying don't got for a Patek Philippe because most people only know Rolex.

Why buy your car with other people in mind? Who cares if someone doesn't know the difference between a 993 or 997? The cool thing is, those that know, KNOW.

The R8 looks different, stands out, but the engine is the weak point. Now, if we are talking about the V10, go all the way, but then might as well look at Gallardos and get a raging bull instead of a neutered one.
I don't know if your comments are in a direction reaction to mine but I would have classed the R8 to be the Patek Philippe and the C2S to be the Rolex.

P.S.
The only real area were the R8's v8 engine is a little lacking is all out acceleration and even then it's just behind the M3 and C2S, apart from that the R8 engine hasn't stop it from posting some of the quickest times around tracks all over the world.

Even if I could justify the cost of either the LP560 or the R8v10 I would still take the R8. It's better looking, has the better appointed interior and will be the better overall car to own.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if your comments are in a direction reaction to mine but I would have classed the R8 to be the Patek Philippe and the C2S to be the Rolex.
The 911 definitely is a Rolex but a R8 is more like a nice Breitling/Omega, never a PP, that would be a Ferrari or Aston Martin or someting like that though Ferrari has had a relationship with Girard Perregaux, now Panerai and AM with JLC.

fwiw, Patek is the most important historical watchmaker in the world though I don't actually like their modelling(the cheaper models) but ref 5970 bring it on, I'm more a JLC, GP, AP and Rolex guy. But a PP 5107 would be fine as well.

I'm in the watch trade btw and my father is a watchmaker
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #34
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Even if I could justify the cost of either the LP560 or the R8v10 I would still take the R8. It's better looking, has the better appointed interior and will be the better overall car to own.
Hold on...are you saying that even if money wasn't an issue, and you could just as easily buy a R8-V10 or a LP560. You would still buy a R8 (v8)?

I'm assuming that is NOT what your saying, coz that would an odd choice IMHO.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #35
feels
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

hi fellow forumers,

really appreciate all the feedbacks till date.

still contemplating ....
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #36
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

C2S > R8 > M3 - For *ME* - I just need 4 seats/doors now.

And again, all three are TOTALLY different in terms of feel, so not sure why people would get so confused on which to get. Go drive them! Do you need 4 seats? 4 doors? More space? No space? AWD vs. RWD? It's not SO complicated....
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #37
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Hold on...are you saying that even if money wasn't an issue, and you could just as easily buy a R8-V10 or a LP560. You would still buy a R8 (v8)?

I'm assuming that is NOT what your saying, coz that would an odd choice IMHO.
No I meant I would still pick the R8v10 over the LP560 and that is regardless of the Lamborghini is quicker. I hear many people saying they would pick this or pick that because of how quick it is in acceleration or top speed but there is a lot more to a great car than outright speed and that is why some people don't quite GET the whole appeal of the R8. It simply does everything so well without excelling at anything outstandingly so.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #38
JetBlackJimmy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB335 View Post
The R8 is so hot. I saw a white one with a color matched side blade yesterday. It looked amazing.
i never knew how good the car looked until i saw one in person. very stunning, indeed.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #39
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
No I meant I would still pick the R8v10 over the LP560 and that is regardless of the Lamborghini is quicker. I hear many people saying they would pick this or pick that because of how quick it is in acceleration or top speed but there is a lot more to a great car than outright speed and that is why some people don't quite GET the whole appeal of the R8. It simply does everything so well without excelling at anything outstandingly so.
Looks like you're talking about the M3 and that one costs a LOT less, is just as fast , more practical and a higher funfactor in DD for ME, that is.

I saw the R8 in person twice, made a photo with my daughter on it, because she wanted to. She doesn't know anything about cars LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #40
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
... you are basically steering an unexciting box.

That's the first time I've heard someone say that of a 911.

I think the R8 is the car that stands out here. It's more exotic and rare than the others. The 911 is a very fun car to drive (IMHO). The M3 is not really that much further behind in terms of fun to drive, and may even be better in some ways. Hands down, the M3 is the most practical and probably the best as a daily driver but YMMV.

I'd get an R8 if money and practicality were no problem and it wasn't a daily driver. The 911 would be cheaper but still fantastic, and more practical than the R8. For a daily driver though it's the M3.
      03-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #41
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post

That's the first time I've heard someone say that of a 911.
Well that short clippet here doesn't explain what I meant by that.

Basically when you are sitting in traffic travelling at 5~25mph in a crowded town/city the M3 and to a lesser extent the 997 both are unexciting to look at from the driver's seat, neither have the same sense of drama and occasion that the R8's interior provides.

If their is one thing that Audi does extremely well is provide most of their cars with interiors worthy of their status and beyond. The only cars which in my opinion do it equally as well if not better are the Aston Martins, Bentleys, Rolls Royce and of course the Bugatti Veyron and it's funny but three of these would be classed British through and through and the other is also a VAG brand.

Apart from this I think the 997 is a enjoy to drive though I would personally pocket the money and stick to the cheaper and far my rewarding to drive Cayman S with PDK.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #42
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

First of all, the three cars each have a significantly difference presence. The M3 is more of a stealth car, looking similar to the 3 coupe (or the same to the untrained eye), the 997 Carrera S has the timeless design and it will remain a Porsche, while the R8 regardless of the color looks like a supercar.

I won't get into brand value, but I believe the only car that would be a true upgrade for you is the R8. If you have other cars and you don't need to consider trunk space it will be great. I would second skipping the R-Tronic. My friend has one with R-Tronic and I think he would skip that if he'd order it now.

The 911 is not mid-engine, so it's won't be quite as flat on turns as the R8. However if you want an all-rounder the M3 is the car to go for.
I didn't go for a 997 because I wanted the slightly more stealth look of the M3 since I was just under 23 when I got the car.
      03-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #43
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
If their is one thing that Audi does extremely well is provide most of their cars with interiors worthy of their status and beyond.
100% agreed.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #44
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Basically when you are sitting in traffic travelling at 5~25mph in a crowded town/city the M3 and to a lesser extent the 997 both are unexciting to look at from the driver's seat, neither have the same sense of drama and occasion that the R8's interior provides.

If their is one thing that Audi does extremely well is provide most of their cars with interiors worthy of their status and beyond. The only cars which in my opinion do it equally as well if not better are the Aston Martins, Bentleys, Rolls Royce and of course the Bugatti Veyron and it's funny but three of these would be classed British through and through and the other is also a VAG brand.
Yeah, this reminds me to suggest to the OP if he goes for the R8 to get the Black headliner, which is not standard with all color combos. The beige is not cool. And because the windshield is a good distance from you, you see a good chunk of the headliner.

Footie, have you been in a R8 for a ride? I think the feel of the car is quite different from the 997. The materials are good, but it's still using the same controls from every other series of Audi in a car A LOT more expensive than those.