BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

06-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Ever Had a Glass Chip Repair Fail?

This is the first time I have had a rock impact fixed on a windshield.

I just got a chip and crack (the crack extended about the width of a nickle) repaired and Safelite yesterday. I only looked at it from the outside, but I swear it looked completely gone after the repair on the same day. From the outside, all I could see was a flat bubble in the glass.

The next day, I am driving and I look over and I can see the crack clearly from the inside of the car. The impact circle still looks better, so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and figure I should have looked at it closer from the inside on the same day of the repair.

When would you conclude a crack repair has failed?

When you can see the crack? Or when you see the crack extend beyond the length which it was when the repair was made?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Do you have a guaranty on that repair? There's no predicting what will happen with your windshield, but if you have a time limited guaranty on the repair, I would go find a bumpy road and test it. If the crack is going to grow significantly, getting the windshield to flex slightly should do it. It will most likely jump from small to very noticeable in an instant.
      06-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Dude, don't be a wuss and get it checked from the same place asap!!!!!!!!!! They owe you as they didn't do the job for free. This could become a serious problem. The crack could get bigger and eventually destroy the whole windshield.