BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #45
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

A girl I'm dating just purchased a 335. I was shocked by how different the car feels compared to the M3. I mean, I know it is supposed to be superior to your standard 3.. but wow it felt like a totally different car. Unlike some on here... I don't find the M3's low end so anemic, I like having a docile car under 3k rpms but after that it pulls and sounds like a demon. 42k is alot finance honestly.... but I'm not big on financing. If you drive the m3 you will realize how inferior the 335 really is, as great of a car as it is. For the money the M3 really is a bargain... the 335 is an ok value imo.. and anything below is an absolute rip off.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #46
theliuman
WTF?
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

I made the switch two months ago from a 2009 335i to my current 2008 M3. So far, best decision ever. Not only does it feel more prestigious (mentally), but hearing the engine for the first few times of driving sent a shiver down my spine, and reaffirmed to me that although I was probably being fiscally irresponsible, who cares? It's your life.

I'm having a blast with my M3 -- people treat you differently, good or bad. On the freeways, when I see another fellow M3, we *always* acknowledge or wave to each other, unlike in a 335i. The sense of being in the M crowd is definitely exclusive, and it really shows.

I'm definitely paying more per month than before on not only payments, but gas. I'm now thinking about tracking it, which I didn't previously do when I had the 335i. And you know what? I don't care how much this will all cost extra per month. You only live once, might as well enjoy the sh*t out of your time.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #47
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
If all of your driving is going to be 10 miles split city and highway along with errands around town, I don't think the M3 is an appropriate car for you. That's no way to experience a car like this. The M3 is a car bought by people who spent time driving purely for the sake of driving enjoyment, not just because they need to get somewhere.
I'm not sure if I agree with this, entirely. I agree more with the post that it has to do with what you WANT. I don't track my car, and I live in Dallas, where there are really no twisties to speak of. I think it comes down to your approach - in my case, it's not how much fun the roads are, and how they can maximize the potential of the car - it's the reverse. It's how the car can maximize the potential of the boring roads.

I have a relatively innocuous commute to work - about 10 miles (round-trip) each day. But when it came to buying a BMW, I would never have considered anything other than an M3. Why? Because it's beautiful (I find it more appealing than the non-M 3-series, in my opinion), and because when I drive home each day I walk out to the parking lot, look at the car, and think, "oh hell yes, I get to drive that home."

I'll eventually take it on fun trips where the roads can bring out the potential in the car. But until then, I'll let the car transform my otherwise boring commute into a few minutes of absolute joy. And that's the only rationale that can't be argued - it's just so damn fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #48
mdoughty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White M5

well put
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
I'm not sure if I agree with this, entirely. I agree more with the post that it has to do with what you WANT. I don't track my car, and I live in Dallas, where there are really no twisties to speak of. I think it comes down to your approach - in my case, it's not how much fun the roads are, and how they can maximize the potential of the car - it's the reverse. It's how the car can maximize the potential of the boring roads.

I have a relatively innocuous commute to work - about 10 miles (round-trip) each day. But when it came to buying a BMW, I would never have considered anything other than an M3. Why? Because it's beautiful (I find it more appealing than the non-M 3-series, in my opinion), and because when I drive home each day I walk out to the parking lot, look at the car, and think, "oh hell yes, I get to drive that home."

I'll eventually take it on fun trips where the roads can bring out the potential in the car. But until then, I'll let the car transform my otherwise boring commute into a few minutes of absolute joy. And that's the only rationale that can't be argued - it's just so damn fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #49
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:

Fair enough -- and I totally agree that this car transforms otherwise boring commutes. But I personally would feel that if I were only ever driving this car on a commute, it'd be a waste of money. Yes I agree it's more attractive and fun than a normal 3er, but not enough to justify its marginal cost if it will only be experienced on commutes. Not that there aren't tons of people who buy high performance cars and never use them anywhere near their potential, though -- I would bet that Porsche owners are even more guilty of this than BMW owners on average -- but those people are just paying a lot of money to miss out.

So yes, take that car out on a track or at least fun roads where it belongs asap and you'll see just how much more excited you can get about it -- and you'll have the side benefit of being able to shed the poseur image which I hear (though have not confirmed) is fairly rampant in Dallas. A guy who works at our Dallas location recently got a Corvette convertible and took it to Dallas Performance to have it modded to put out 800 hp. He has no plans to track it or take it to a drag strip, and he didn't upgrade the tires, brakes, or suspension to go with the added power; he just wanted an obscene freeway cruiser, apparently.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-14-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #50
14bmws
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

The M3 is not only special, but one of the best cars ever built, period. One test drive doesn't do it. Live with it for a year and you will understand how much better it is than any modded 335.

The handling and suspension are sublime... The engine a masterpiece. It is perfectly balanced.

Buy the M3. You will never regret it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #51
desertfox73
Banned
Rep

Quote:
But seriously, take that car out on a track or at least fun roads where it belongs asap and you'll see just how much more excited you can get about it.
Ha - no worries, my friend! I moved to Dallas from Southern California, and I plan to drive back at Christmas to see family and just play on the canyon roads. I'll take the long route through Southern Utah so I can really experience the vacant roads. I figure it will cost twice in gas what I could pay to fly there, but I'll smile every mile of the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #52
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Ha - no worries, my friend! I moved to Dallas from Southern California, and I plan to drive back at Christmas to see family and just play on the canyon roads. I'll take the long route through Southern Utah so I can really experience the vacant roads. I figure it will cost twice in gas what I could pay to fly there, but I'll smile every mile of the way.
NOW you're talking!!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #53
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Purchasing an M3 and cars like it, has to do more with passion than reason.
I completely agree! Or any car like the M3, be it the new RS5 or C63 AMG. Right now I'm looking for a used 2008 E9x M3 and it will be my daily driver but I won't be Fast Fiving it around town. Though it's something I can definitely autocross in. Realistically, the other car I'm debating, a brand new STi hatch, is hell of a lot more reasonable given that I live in PA (all 4 seasons), outdoor sports (skiing/snowboarding), and have a kid (will have 2 total in 6 more months!). I can autox that vehicle as well, and carry the stickies in the back.

However, just looking at the M3 makes my heart races. And thinking about it makes me feel like .

OP, I'm fiscally responsible as well and have thought about it and right now I'm leaning towards the M3 only because 1) I'm only young once 2) I have plenty of time to make more money in the future. Although $1k might seem a lot to you now, but in the grand scheme of things, the enjoyment and time you have with the car you want will be greater than that $1k.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #54
desertfox73
Banned
Rep

Quote:
you'll have the side benefit of being able to shed the poseur image which I hear (though have not confirmed) is fairly rampant in Dallas. A guy who works at our Dallas location recently got a Corvette convertible and took it to Dallas Performance to have it modded to put out 800 hp. He has no plans to track it or take it to a drag strip, and he didn't upgrade the tires, brakes, or suspension to go with the added power; he just wanted an obscene freeway cruiser, apparently.
Yikes. Yeah, I thought I had left that behind in LA...but no. They're here too.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #55
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Have you contacted your insurance and got quotes? I just switched from a 06 Lexus GS300 to a '11 E92 M3 and my insurance went down almost $400 A year for the same coverage.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #56
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish77380 View Post
I traded a 335 coupe (2007) for a 2008 M3. When I had the 335, I honestly thought it was an amazing car, fast as f@ck etc and had a similar dilemma. But got the M anyway. To give you an idea I got a 335 coupe as a loaner car recently while the M was in for a routine service. Very disappointing in every aspect after driving the M3 for a while, almost like a half assed M3?? GET THE M3, YOU WONT REGRET IT!! :-)
In all of the countless comparisons between the 2 cars, this is one of the best!

I enjoy my M3 carving up mountains & back roads, on L.A. freeways in the wee hours of the morning, and as a DD. It's a bad ass, roudy, yet refined ride. Gas? I dropped $81 in 1 1/2 days of driving, and it was like my car had a cheap dinner! If I cared about mileage, I would've bought a hybrid, or one of those pussy cars that I see many guys out there driving. Besides, the 335 doesn't come w/ a bulge in its hood (& a monster V8 underneath).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #57
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
OP, when I first read about the M3, I thought: "Drinks gas? Lacks low end torque? Only worth it if you're going to track? Not for me."

Then I drove an M3 at a BMW driving school and I thought, "Wow, I gotta have this car! It feels like another class of car!" It does not lack torque, that engine is God's gift to man (or woman ) and you can feel the (notably better) handling difference every mile.

I'm starting to struggle though with the thought of trading in a perfectly good 335i which is the best car I've ever had and has absolutely nothing wrong with it, not even a rattle. I live in the *flat* Province of Ontario and I have to drive far to get to any fun roads or the track.

So if I were you, I would not test drive the M3. (It will make you lose your head.) And start putting away moolah to get the F32 - looks like it'll be called the F82 M3 to further distinguish it from the regular 3-series - with a loan of no more than 3 years. Everyone's opinion is different but I think 6 years is way too long, especially for a 2-3 year old car. My honest opinion is that *that* is the deciding factor in your case.
      09-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #58
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

I just sold a 2007 335i and got a 2011 M3 about a week ago. Both E92 coupes. I agree with many others here, if you don't really think you want the M3, don't drive one. You'll "need" to buy one shortly after if you do.

I was out looking. I drove the Jag XK-R, Aston V8 Vantage, Audi S5, Lotus Evora, Nissan GT-R, C63 AMG, M6 and a few others when I was shopping. I had narrowed my choices down to M3, Evora, and Vantage. Then futher to the M3 as it was the one I could live with as an "only" car.

I wasn't even initially looking at the M, as I thought it was too much like the 335i, the salesman (who also had several of the other cars I was driving) almost had to force me to take one out for comparison purposes to the other cars I was testing. I was amazed. It's like it was built by an entirely different company compared to the 335i. Steering, ride, suspension, handling, clutch, transmission, engine, throttle, brakes.....all feel different, more confident, solid. I HAD to have one. So I did.

As for a DD in my opinion? I use public transportation to go to work, so this is my toy/errands/out to dinner car. I drive it about 300 miles per month. Lot's of city driving. It's a fantastic DD (and I have 6MT, and love it in the city). It takes a bit more power management than the 335i, as the low-end torque is not just sitting there waiting for you. A downshift and some revs are usually necessary to pass or make a light. The 335i, you can just push the throttle. Other than that, everything about the car feels better to me. It does guzzle gas, although, with driving mostly city for me 335i=17mpg avg, M3=14mpg avg so far. And insurance for me was marginally more expensive. Less than $200/yr at Allstate.

If you haven't already made your decision, good luck. Both are great cars.
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #59
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I left a 335i for a new M3. The M3 is a better car. You will like it more.
You just need to figure out if that's worth the extra debt load and the increase in trips to the gas station.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #60
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

IMHO, I think you might not be too happy with the MPG on the M3. You already have a great car. Reading about how "disciplined" you are in regards to your finances (i.e. concerned about $21/month), I would say the M3 might not be for you. Good luck anyways bro!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #61
Roth517
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrollsp View Post
Have you contacted your insurance and got quotes? I just switched from a 06 Lexus GS300 to a '11 E92 M3 and my insurance went down almost $400 A year for the same coverage.
Yea, it goes up about $370/year from my '08 335 to the '09 M3. No tickets/accidents ever. Bastards.

Last edited by Roth517; 09-15-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #62
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
yea, nav on your droid is fine now until you have idrive nav. That's the same thing as saying yea, this 318ti is dope and gets me to point B just fine, when you could have an M3. Also, your droid does not control your ipod, phone, car controls, settings, etc for you. Just sayin....iDrive is more the reason that it is a big plus on the M3 vs your current car.

My wife bellyaches everytime we get in the M "How come I can't get my nav to look like your nav?"..."Because you wanted a Hyundai dear."

I used to use my phone too for the few times I needed nav...but I swear by the M's now. Road trip I took this past summer sold me on it when I was able to see first hand how well the construction and accident notifications work. The first time, I ignored it, traffic was moving good...the notice must be wrong. Nope 45 min stuck in a stand still. From there on out, provided the reroute seemed reasonable, I adhered to it, and the remainder of the trip went quite smoothly.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #63
Roth517
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe it's a good thing that the M3 is almost four hours away and I can't see it in person, let alone drive it...

Probably makes more sense to continue driving my 335i and hold off for the 3/435i (that's the F32 I was referring to - I'm not waiting until 2014 for the next M3/4 and doubt I could afford it new anyway). A $42,500 six-year loan on a two and a half year-old car is kind of crazy, which is what my gut was telling me. Many of the guys (and gal) above reaffirmed that gut instinct. Plus I lose equity in the deal (but that's part of any damn car purchase).

But part of me says, "Screw it, you're young (34), and can afford it...and you only live once..."
      09-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #64
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 517 View Post
But part of me says, "Screw it, you're young (34), and can afford it...and you only live once..."

When you hit the gas...and hear that V8 growl...you just...

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #65
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post

When you hit the gas...and hear that V8 growl...you just...
Definitely

it grunts and roars
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #66
Roth517
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
IMHO, I think you might not be too happy with the MPG on the M3. You already have a great car. Reading about how "disciplined" you are in regards to your finances (i.e. concerned about $21/month), I would say the M3 might not be for you. Good luck anyways bro!
To somewhat defend myself here, I could afford the $21/month. It's not like that would bankrupt me or force me to eat dog food. I had just set a loan limit of $41,500 after giving careful thought to my budget (and now I find out that I may have underestimated my gas allowance). When the dealer wouldn't go any lower and meet me there, I passed. I wasn't coming up because 1.) I don't "need" the car and 2.) They can come down if they want to sell it to me. My philosophy is that one has to be willing to walk away from a car, especially when what you have is perfectly fine...

Their last offer was allegedly at their break-even price (which I tend to believe - they came down from $59,900 to $55,000 on a loaded 2009 with 15K miles, warranty until 4/13 and extended maintenance until 4/15 - not CPO, though). The CA left off our conversation by saying they weren't willing to sell it at a loss now, but maybe in a month. If he calls back in a couple/few weeks, which he very well may, I'll re-evaluate.