BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

03-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

E93 seat bottoms on E90/E92?

Has anyone tried ordering E93 seat bottoms with their E90/92? I wonder if this would work.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Difference is?
      03-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Difference is?
you can tell everyone they are E93 seat bottoms?
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Difference is?
The difference the OP was probably referring to is that the E93 seat bottoms do not vary from US to Europe like the E90/E92 ones do. He is probably looking for a way to get the "European look" without getting the parts from abroad.

However, there are many other differences too, which make the idea somewhat poor, IMHO. The big one is that the E93 has the seatbelt integrated into the seat, so you'd end up with two seat belts, or at the very least a bulky seatbelt mechanism that isn't used.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
However, there are many other differences too, which make the idea somewhat poor, IMHO. The big one is that the E93 has the seatbelt integrated into the seat, so you'd end up with two seat belts, or at the very least a bulky seatbelt mechanism that isn't used.
How does swapping seat bottoms get you an extra set of seat belts is beyond me? The seatbelt mechanism is built into the headrest of the E93 seats.

I have all the Euro seat bottom cushions in my trunk ready to go. The only thing preventing me from installing them or ordering the seat covers is the uncertainty of the passenger seat occupancy sensor. The Euro seats have different sensors compared to ours. So, I'm also looking into sourcing the US E93 seat bottoms and see if I can retrofit them. The parts diagram of the E93 M3 on RealOEM looks really messy so I probably have to solicit the help from Tischer again.

The passenger seat cushion with occupancy sensor is 52107244120 for the US Spec E93 M3. It's not showing up on the parts catalog of Tischer though.
      03-31-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
How does swapping seat bottoms get you an extra set of seat belts is beyond me? The seatbelt mechanism is built into the headrest of the E93 seats.

I have all the Euro seat bottom cushions in my trunk ready to go. The only thing preventing me from installing them or ordering the seat covers is the uncertainty of the passenger seat occupancy sensor. The Euro seats have different sensors compared to ours. So, I'm also looking into sourcing the US E93 seat bottoms and see if I can retrofit them. The parts diagram of the E93 M3 on RealOEM looks really messy so I probably have to solicit the help from Tischer again.

The passenger seat cushion with occupancy sensor is 52107244120 for the US Spec E93 M3. It's not showing up on the parts catalog of Tischer though.
Have you taken a look at the shape of those sensors? Perhaps the shape is the same but only the specs (weight limit, sensitivity) are different so it could be possible to just swap the US sensors with the new Euro bottoms as well. Especially if the Euro bottoms difference with the US version is just the side bolsters and not the cushion thickness itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Have you taken a look at the shape of those sensors? Perhaps the shape is the same but only the specs (weight limit, sensitivity) are different so it could be possible to just swap the US sensors with the new Euro bottoms as well. Especially if the Euro bottoms difference with the US version is just the side bolsters and not the cushion thickness itself.
It might be. The seat occupancy sensor is sold together with the new seat cushion so I have not taken a closer look to it. Also, the US E93 M3 seat bottoms are sold in sets, so you can get the entire package for your E92 so you don't need to mess with the Euro vs US seat sensor hassle.
      03-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It might be. The seat occupancy sensor is sold together with the new seat cushion so I have not taken a closer look to it. Also, the US E93 M3 seat bottoms are sold in sets, so you can get the entire package for your E92 so you don't need to mess with the Euro vs US seat sensor hassle.
I just looked again. It seems like the Euro M3 does not have a seat occupancy sensor in the seat cushion:

Euro Spec E92 M3 seat:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=52&fg=25

US Spec E93 M3 seat:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...29&hg=52&fg=25
      03-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The E93 seat bottoms contain the actual seat belt reel. The entire seatbelt assembly is integrated into the seat. This is not true for the E90/E92 (unless I am rembering wrong).

This fact need not mean the cushions themselves can't be interchanged. But in practice this difference (and others, probably) effect the design of the seat bottom in it's entirity. As I recall it the shape of the cushion bolstering and cover material is different, and this won't mate to an E90/E92 seat bottom. Hence my original post - you'd need the entire bottom assembly and you'd be saddled with the extra bulk/hardware.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The E93 seat bottoms contain the actual seat belt reel. The entire seatbelt assembly is integrated into the seat. This is not true for the E90/E92 (unless I am rembering wrong).

This fact need not mean the cushions themselves can't be interchanged. But in practice this difference (and others, probably) effect the design of the seat bottom in it's entirity. As I recall it the shape of the cushion bolstering and cover material is different, and this won't mate to an E90/E92 seat bottom. Hence my original post - you'd need the entire bottom assembly and you'd be saddled with the extra bulk/hardware.
I think we are talking about different things......

I'm just trying to retrofit the seat cushions and leather covers from the US spec E93 (probably just passenger side), to the US spec E92. The driver side, I'm sticking with my E92 Euro seat cushions. I'm not swapping the seat base, so there's no concern with the seat belt reel and its paraphernalia.
      03-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F82 M4

Quote:

I'm just trying to retrofit the seat cushions and leather covers from the US spec E93 (probably just passenger side), to the US spec E92. The driver side, I'm sticking with my E92 Euro seat cushions. I'm not swapping the seat base, so there's no concern with the seat belt reel and its paraphernalia.
WHY!? Why are you switching to e93 or euro? whats the diff?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3psycho View Post
WHY!? Why are you switching to e93 or euro? whats the diff?
The seat bottom of the E92 M3 is the same as regular E92. The Euro / E93 version offers more lateral support (bigger side bolsters) and have nicer stitching / design.
      03-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know what you are suggesting, but my point was that I don't think the E93 cushions (or at least the bolsters) will work on the E90/E92 seat bottom assembly. I'd post pics of what I mean, but I am in a seminar and only have a phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The seat bottom of the E92 M3 is the same as regular E92. The Euro / E93 version offers more lateral support (bigger side bolsters) and have nicer stitching / design.
Right, but I think he is asking why you want to use the euro E90/E92 for the driver side, but switch to the E93 for the passenger side. I am wondering the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know what you are suggesting, but my point was that I don't think the E93 cushions (or at least the bolsters) will work on the E90/E92 seat bottom assembly. I'd post pics of what I mean, but I am in a seminar and only have a phone.
The only way to figure that out is to order an actual cushion and then compare the two. I already have the Euro seat cushion, so I might as well ask Tischer to get me the US E93 cushion as well. I don't think there's any fundamental differences between the two.
      04-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only way to figure that out is to order an actual cushion and then compare the two. I already have the Euro seat cushion, so I might as well ask Tischer to get me the US E93 cushion as well. I don't think there's any fundamental differences between the two.
Maybe, but on the other hand if the E93 bolsters are blatantly different than the E90/E92, then I don't think there is really any chance they will be swappable. You could verify whether this is the case simply by going to a dealership and looking at the area near the bottom of the bolster where they meet up with the black plastic bezel part of the seat bottom. On the other hand, of course, if the part numbers end up being the same then obviously you are set.

I was going to point you to this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2715554

But the pics are now gone. I cannot find any other pics that show the differences in the two seats, unfortunately.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes (post pics).
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #17
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe, but on the other hand if the E93 bolsters are blatantly different than the E90/E92, then I don't think there is really any chance they will be swappable. You could verify whether this is the case simply by going to a dealership and looking at the area near the bottom of the bolster where they meet up with the black plastic bezel part of the seat bottom. On the other hand, of course, if the part numbers end up being the same then obviously you are set.

I was going to point you to this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2715554

But the pics are now gone. I cannot find any other pics that show the differences in the two seats, unfortunately.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes (post pics).
I see where you are coming from. I'll try to go to my dealership and look at some E93 M3 and report back. Regardless, I still have the Euro seat bottoms for the E92 so worst case I can still go ahead with the retrofit. EAS is coming out with a module to trick the seat sensor anyways so people can put in aftermarket race bucket seats. That should work for the Euro seat conversion as well.
      04-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I see where you are coming from. I'll try to go to my dealership and look at some E93 M3 and report back. Regardless, I still have the Euro seat bottoms for the E92 so worst case I can still go ahead with the retrofit. EAS is coming out with a module to trick the seat sensor anyways so people can put in aftermarket race bucket seats. That should work for the Euro seat conversion as well.
I am looking forward to reaping the benefits from your research !

Keep us posted!
      04-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I'll continue my research when I get to Seattle in two weeks. Right now I'm just busy packing my wife's shit up

Also, I'll have to take care some x-shaped stainless steel piping and canisters underneath the car first. That takes precedent over everything
      04-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #20
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
I'll continue my research when I get to Seattle in two weeks. Right now I'm just busy packing my wife's shit up

Also, I'll have to take care some x-shaped stainless steel piping and canisters underneath the car first. That takes precedent over everything
I'm glad to see someone has their priorities straight.
      04-03-2009, 01:32 AM   #21
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Kev can you post some pics of Euro seats bottoms ?

Since you will be closer to CA, you should bring your beast to BimmerFest in may
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #22
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
Kev can you post some pics of Euro seats bottoms ?

Since you will be closer to CA, you should bring your beast to BimmerFest in may
They are packed up in my trunk right now. I'll post some pics when I get to SEA.