BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

11-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Rhys Millen Genesis 5.0

Anyone see this in the SEMA coverage......looks good tastefully done for a SEMA car....would like to see what kinda numbers this thing can produce...there are some conflicting numbers on final HP, print says 450, Rhys himself says 430....what do you gentlemen think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mL1tRLNhCBk
Attached Images

Last edited by jkrig; 11-02-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Nice. I was expecting to see that mid-engined car he had made. I remember Hyundai saying they couldn't fit the 5L in there and that it would put the weight distribution way off.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Kind of odd - Hyundai sponsors it, but the message is that this is what Hyundai should have done. The question is whether Hyundai would agree enough to make it a standard option? I don't think they are there, just look at the Velostar - interesting look, but pathetic performance.
      11-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Nice. I was expecting to see that mid-engined car he had made. I remember Hyundai saying they couldn't fit the 5L in there and that it would put the weight distribution way off.
Just because it can be shoehorned aftermarket doesn't necessarily mean it could reliably fit in a production form.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Kind of odd - Hyundai sponsors it, but the message is that this is what Hyundai should have done. The question is whether Hyundai would agree enough to make it a standard option? I don't think they are there, just look at the Velostar - interesting look, but pathetic performance.
Don't think they would but...I would not put it past them they have really been rolling the dice and keeping other brands on their toes in terms of sales...actual execution is up for debate though

The "Sport" version of the Veloster should be slightly less boring, 1.6L turbo (reportedly only weighing in at 2700lbs) and DCT...and priced just under the Gen Coupe....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Nice package and fit but for what it's worth wouldn't it be easier / better to get 430/450 hp by building the turbo 4 as it shares the bottom end with an EVO?
      11-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Nice package and fit but for what it's worth wouldn't it be easier / better to get 430/450 hp by building the turbo 4 as it shares the bottom end with an EVO?
Mmm no. Supercharging the V6 would be cheaper and more reliable I'd think.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mmm no. Supercharging the V6 would be cheaper and more reliable I'd think.
I don't think you know what you are talking about. The 4 cylinder motor is already turbo'd and there are already a few examples running around making 400 WHP as it is not particularly difficult because the motor shares components with the Evo motor.

Supercharging the 6 would require work so much more work than that and arguably would cost considerably more while possibly not being able to produce numbers even close to this.

The V8 is a complete engine swap which is the least viable for any person although it does seem like a cool project; yet I am still skeptical about balance and handling.
      11-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I don't think you know what you are talking about. The 4 cylinder motor is already turbo'd and there are already a few examples running around making 400 WHP as it is not particularly difficult because the motor shares components with the Evo motor.

Supercharging the 6 would require work so much more work than that and arguably would cost considerably more while possibly not being able to produce numbers even close to this.

The V8 is a complete engine swap which is the least viable for any person although it does seem like a cool project; yet I am still skeptical about balance and handling.
I agree, but the reason I say that is that tuners have been working with Hyundai engineers in supercharging the V6.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/s...o-bow-at-sema/

"Highlighting the performance modifications, HATCI teamed up with Magnuson Products to supercharge Genesis Coupe's 3.8L V-6 engine with a liquid to air intercooler, producing more than 450 horsepower.

The HATCI (Hyundai America Technical Center Inc) and Magnuson supercharger demonstrates the high-performance potential of Genesis Coupe's V-6 engine – the car was engineered to handle this kind of extra power," said David Dutko, senior engineer, HATCI."
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree, but the reason I say that is that tuners have been working with Hyundai engineers in supercharging the V6.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/s...o-bow-at-sema/

"Highlighting the performance modifications, HATCI teamed up with Magnuson Products to supercharge Genesis Coupe's 3.8L V-6 engine with a liquid to air intercooler, producing more than 450 horsepower.

The HATCI (Hyundai America Technical Center Inc) and Magnuson supercharger demonstrates the high-performance potential of Genesis Coupe's V-6 engine – the car was engineered to handle this kind of extra power," said David Dutko, senior engineer, HATCI."
Options from the factory and full aftermarket modifications are two completely different things.
      11-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I love this car and my brother wanted one so we went to test drive it and everything felt so cheap.. So it was a no go.. It looks really good though.. (the turbo one)

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0