BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

VS Motorsports: Brake Cooling System

We have been looking for a better cooling system to work with our Brembo GTR kit, we looked at many different available kits, but where not happy with the overall build of each kit out there. So we went ahead and spoke with HPC, and this is what they gave us:

An Optimized design for BMW E92 M3
maximizing rotor and caliper airflow
Computer Aided Design (CAD)
CNC Mill processed
Toughened, high temperature resistant composite materials
Primary assembly adaptable to aftermarket brake systems
Significant improved cooling efficiency versus OE BMW M3 set up

But the best part is that this works with the stock setup as well. If you are interested in a set please give us a email at main@vsmotorsports or pm us!

Here are some pictures of them installed on our car, sorry for not having pictures of them before (we will have some shortly)

Last edited by VSmotorsports; 07-31-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
saw these a few weeks ago and they are a piece of art, too bad there isnt before they were installed, could you pm me a price, very interested in a set
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Very cool.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Best design and execution I've seen. What size hose does it accept? I am currently running 2.5" hoses with an inferior homemade backing plate.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Best design and execution I've seen. What size hose does it accept? I am currently running 2.5" hoses with an inferior homemade backing plate.
3"
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
radsmd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG/FR ZCP

PM sent. very interested
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Awesome work guys! It's great to see you guys developing new parts for the E9X M3 platform!

If I ever start tracking the E90 M3 more, there's no doubt I'd love to add this to my wish list.

Do you have any recommendations for ducting in the front bumper for those of us without a GT4 front lip? Any plans to make some brake ducts for the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
PM sent. very interested
pm'd back!

Quote:
Awesome work guys! It's great to see you guys developing new parts for the E9X M3 platform!

If I ever start tracking the E90 M3 more, there's no doubt I'd love to add this to my wish list.

Do you have any recommendations for ducting in the front bumper for those of us without a GT4 front lip? Any plans to make some brake ducts for the bumper?
Alex, good question. Right now we are working on developing a whole kit for customers who are interested. We should have more information for you guys shortly!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

care to send a pm on pricing/availability?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

How much $ and when is it avail?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

right now we can only sell the backing, there is a full kit coming out shortly. We should have pricing next week for the backing and other pieces (such as ducts, undertray, and front lip) If you are interested in just the backing please give us a pm.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Yeah how much is the backing?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
Yeah how much is the backing?
sending you a pm
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The opening of the backing plate should point to the hub area of the rotor, not the rotor itself to provide maximum cooling effect. By directing air straight at the rotor, two things will limit the actual cooling capacity. 1) At speed the rotor will be spinning rapidly creating a high pressure area around the surface of the rotor in which the plates are directing air to, reducing the actual cool ambient air reaching the surface of the rotor and 2) even if it does effectively provide air to the rotor surface, it can potentially create an uneven cooling effect between the inside facing surface and the outside facing surface.

The reason why the air should be directed toward the inside of the hub, is so the internal vanes can draw the cool air out much more effectively while spinning, thus providing better cooling effect and also cool the rotor consistently. IMO that opening should be moved down to cover 1/2 of the hub opening.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Better see a set of these goin on Stefan's E92 with our lip on it!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I think you're missing the boat on where the air is actually coming through the plate.... It isn't coming through the round hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The opening of the backing plate should point to the hub area of the rotor, not the rotor itself to provide maximum cooling effect. By directing air straight at the rotor, two things will limit the actual cooling capacity. 1) At speed the rotor will be spinning rapidly creating a high pressure area around the surface of the rotor in which the plates are directing air to, reducing the actual cool ambient air reaching the surface of the rotor and 2) even if it does effectively provide air to the rotor surface, it can potentially create an uneven cooling effect between the inside facing surface and the outside facing surface.

The reason why the air should be directed toward the inside of the hub, is so the internal vanes can draw the cool air out much more effectively while spinning, thus providing better cooling effect and also cool the rotor consistently. IMO that opening should be moved down to cover 1/2 of the hub opening.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

What's the hole for then?
It does appear there is space around the hub area, so I'm assuming that's where the air is coming out? That little hole is no even close to being 3".
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

it likely isn't a hole but a conical shape meant to smooth airflow toward the cut outs.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
PM sent. very interested
You get a BBK yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
it likely isn't a hole but a conical shape meant to smooth airflow toward the cut outs.
Makes sense. That "hole" is way too small for a 3" duct.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

It might seem difficult to tell in the images but air isnt going onto one side of a rotor but in between the rotors faces.

There are potential conflicts with ducting, suspension if the duct opening "is moved down to cover 1/2 of the hub opening". It would make running a 3" tube or even 2.5" with 275 tires difficult without rubbing. There also would be conflicts with steering the car and the manufacturability of the composite backing plate based on the available surface space of that area that would provide little to no gain in cooling performance and interfere with the design of the BMW OE Upright backing plate mounting locations.

We will have more picture off the car to show you guys what it looks like overall
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you guys are interested in the backing piece please let us know. We are hoping to get the other necessary pieces soon to fit onto our E92 Race Car
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
If you guys are interested in the backing piece please let us know. We are hoping to get the other necessary pieces soon to fit onto our E92 Race Car
I'm interested, please pm price.
Appreciate 0