BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

08-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

458 vs Scuderia vs R8

I recently did exotics racing (http://www.exoticsracing.com/), and what a blast.

I started with 5 laps in the Scuderia, followed by 5 laps in an Audi R8, and finished with 15 laps in the 458. What a great experience!

Starting out in the Scuderia, I was just learning the track and wasn't that fast. However, I was surprised that the Scuderia seemed to have a fair amount of understeer. That made the car pretty predictable and easy to drive. What was most annoying was that the instructor I had in that car was more intent on babying the car rather than letting me push. For example, he told me to upshift at 6000 rpm, which in the Scuderia, is ridiculously early. The F1 transmission was actually smoother than I thought it would be.

Second, I switched to the R8. All I can say is what a disappointment. The handling was pretty good - precise, composed, balanced. But it was quite slow, the steering was numb, and the dual clutch transmission was the worst automated manual I've driven. It was rather boring. I thought it would be better.

Finally, I hopped in the 458. After hearing all of the press, my expectations were quite high, and I wasn't sure it would be able to meet them. However, the blew past my expectations. What an amazing car! The exhaust note is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. When you floor it coming out of a corner, it's like you're shot out of a cannon. The handling was a little sharper than the Scuderia, with just a bit of understeer. The 458's dual clutch transmission is the best implementation of an automated manual I've driven. Downshifts are much faster than the M3 DCT, and there's no annoying slow speed assistant.

Unfortunately, they had the car in sport mode. In this mode, the traction control is a bit intrusive. When exiting a corner, if you have the steering wheel turned past roughly 10:30 or 1:30, even if you nail the throttle to the floor, the system only gives you ~40% power. Once you straighten out the wheel, the car will then give you 100%. This wasn't the case in the Scuderia, and I assume that if you have the car in race mode (or TC turned off obviously), this wouldn't be the case either.

By the time I was in the 458, I knew the track and was able to get towards the limits (of my ability). I think that with more time and the car in race mode or TC off, I could shave a few more seconds off of my laps. The car is just so responsive and reacts quickly to the driver's input. This is without a doubt the most thrilling car I've ever driven.

If you've ever wanted to drive Ferraris, Lambos, etc., this is a great way to do it.

08-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
JoLo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///2011.5 ///E90 ///AW ///ZCP

Awesome, Instructor did seem a bit annoying, what i want to know is how much did this cost you lol.
Was the R8 the 4.2 or 5.2, i couldnt tell with the audio. The audi r8 4.2 isnt in the league of these cars so thats why it was dissapointing. The 5.2 would be a better comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
JoLo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///2011.5 ///E90 ///AW ///ZCP

Wow i just watched the scuderia vid, that is a sin that the guy was making you shift at 6k. The first time you got it up to over 8k it sounded and that noise was heavenly, I would have told the instructor i am shifting where this car was built to be shifted.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

What an annoying instructor.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
NJBMWM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 //M3 6speed

I am doing this on Aug 20th. I booked it and a few days I went on youtube and watched some videos and was really disappointed with how the instrutors are constantly talking in your ear. To be honest I'm sorry I paid what I did because all the videos I watched really turned me off. Do you think it was worth it or what? I wasn't expecting to be able to just rip the car to shreds drifiting around every turn but Im not doing this for a RR lesson just to have a little bit of fun in some exotic cars i can't afford yet. I think I would have told that guy to shut the fuck up.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo View Post
Awesome, Instructor did seem a bit annoying, what i want to know is how much did this cost you lol.
Was the R8 the 4.2 or 5.2, i couldnt tell with the audio. The audi r8 4.2 isnt in the league of these cars so thats why it was dissapointing. The 5.2 would be a better comparison.
It was the V8 R8. I'm not sure the V10 would be much better. It would be faster, but still numb, dull.

The cost all depends on how many laps you do, and which cars you choose. I did a lot of laps, 25 total, 15 in the 458, which costs more per lap that some of the other cars. So my total came out to $1500. The prices are all listed on the website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo View Post
Wow i just watched the scuderia vid, that is a sin that the guy was making you shift at 6k. The first time you got it up to over 8k it sounded and that noise was heavenly, I would have told the instructor i am shifting where this car was built to be shifted.
That guy is the worst one there. Most of the other guys let you push the cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBMWM3 View Post
I am doing this on Aug 20th. I booked it and a few days I went on youtube and watched some videos and was really disappointed with how the instrutors are constantly talking in your ear. To be honest I'm sorry I paid what I did because all the videos I watched really turned me off. Do you think it was worth it or what? I wasn't expecting to be able to just rip the car to shreds drifiting around every turn but Im not doing this for a RR lesson just to have a little bit of fun in some exotic cars i can't afford yet. I think I would have told that guy to shut the fuck up.
I think it was worth it and would do it again. I had a great time. Even despite the constant talking, it generally does help you get up to speed faster because the guys know the car and the track inside and out. The only instructor that I didn't like was the one I had in the Scuderia. Everything he was telling me to do was to baby the car. If you get him, you're SOL. The other guys are a lot better and let you find your limits.
      08-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
NJBMWM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The guy in the Scud what is his name?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The guy in the Scud what is his name?
Sorry, I don't remember, and it's not in the video.

However, their customer service is pretty good. Feel free to email them with a link to the Scuderia video. I'm sure they can tell you the guy's name, and you may be able to request a different instructor. You'll probably want to make that request before the day you attend because each guy seems to be assigned a car for a given day.
      08-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
NJBMWM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek View Post
Sorry, I don't remember, and it's not in the video.

However, their customer service is pretty good. Feel free to email them with a link to the Scuderia video. I'm sure they can tell you the guy's name, and you may be able to request a different instructor. You'll probably want to make that request before the day you attend because each guy seems to be assigned a car for a given day.

What the hell was his deal with not being able to rev it past 6k? Hopefully that guy just works the Scud since im driving the Supperleggera and 458
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What the hell was his deal with not being able to rev it past 6k? Hopefully that guy just works the Scud since im driving the Supperleggera and 458
I suspect he may be a part owner of the operation or something. He's more concerned with protecting the assets rather than having satisfied customers - which is bad for business though.

Unfortunately, I did see a video where he was in the 458. Same deal - telling guys to short shift at 6K rpm.
      08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
+1 Jezuz
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
A-Man
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Watchin the vid makes me want to shout 'shut the fug up!!' how do those guys handle it.. haha
      08-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

That sucks about the instructor. I would have gotten pretty frustrated if I were told not to rev a Scuderia past 6k. If I'm paying to drive it on the track then I want to be able to drive it properly.

Did you really find the Italia was that much better than the Scud, btw?
      08-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

the smile on your face when you're driving the 458 is priceless.
the noise in that car makes me laugh. how much did it cost for a full track day?

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
That sucks about the instructor. I would have gotten pretty frustrated if I were told not to rev a Scuderia past 6k. If I'm paying to drive it on the track then I want to be able to drive it properly.

Did you really find the Italia was that much better than the Scud, btw?
In a word, yes. The engine is better. The handling is sharper. The transmission is smoother. Plus it's a much more beautiful car (personal preference of course). It's also more livable on a day-to-day basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
the smile on your face when you're driving the 458 is priceless.
the noise in that car makes me laugh. how much did it cost for a full track day?
The cost all depends on how many laps you do in which cars. I did quite a few laps, 25 total, 15 in the 458 which costs more per lap. My total came out to $1500. The prices are listed on their website.
      08-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

That looks like an amazing experience!! The only downside is the CONSTANT chatter from the instructors. You would think that after a bunch of laps they would just let you drive and only offer comments when needed.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Great videos!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
That looks like an amazing experience!! The only downside is the CONSTANT chatter from the instructors. You would think that after a bunch of laps they would just let you drive and only offer comments when needed.
I agree. That would have been better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
Great videos!!!
Thanks! If you get the chance, I would recommend doing it.
      08-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43

Im scheduled to drive the 458 on 8/25! I can't wait to watch the videos you posted when i get out of work. Sounds like blast though! My friend enjoyed his ride in the Lambo.
SOLD-2011.5 ///M3 Sedan ZCP
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

R8 isnt dual clutch, it is single so that is why it isn't smooth. Scuderia probably has the best single clutch in the market. I bet 458 was a helluva car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #21
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
Seriously, I would have told him to shut the fuck up
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMK5 View Post
Im scheduled to drive the 458 on 8/25! I can't wait to watch the videos you posted when i get out of work. Sounds like blast though! My friend enjoyed his ride in the Lambo.
You won't be disappointed. The 458 is an incredible car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
R8 isnt dual clutch, it is single so that is why it isn't smooth. Scuderia probably has the best single clutch in the market. I bet 458 was a helluva car.
Thanks for the info. That explains it.

The 458 is perfection. I'm still thinking about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Seriously, I would have told him to shut the fuck up
I was kind of annoying. But what was far more annoying was the instructor in the Scuderia telling me to upshift a 6K rpm. WTF, it's a Ferrari not a diesel.