BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

couple problems with the car

okay so ive had little annoying problems since ive had this car which is about 8 months now.. It is a 09 e92 DCT m3 with 23,4xx miles on them. The biggest annoying problem i have is the clunking issue in the back.. it feel like the differential but idk.. Took it to the service center MANY times and has never been fixed.. Ive had the fluid changed out and still nothing.. the clunking noise happens when im coasting to a stop like a red light or when i gas it then suddenly stop and gas again.. Ive heard many say its normal and whatever but i dont think so..

Ive also had the 2nd gear lag and ive had the software updated recently and for the most part i believe the lag has been fixed.. But when i was at the service center and i was going through my service records ive had with them. I found something that said when it was hooked up to their computer my transmission failed to fire gear 7 60 times.. on two tests about 8k miles apart from each other.. Now if i hadn't gone through my records they would have never told me. So then i talked to the shop foreman and he told me it was fine.. But to me a transmission failing 60 times on 2 separate tests months after each other doesn't sit well with me.. So my question to you guys is.. is this normal? Ive never had a CEL or anything like that.. Also today i noticed that when i change gears from R to N to D it kinda jerks the car. Especially when going into D.. i remember it might have jerked slightly before but today i feel like the jerk is ALOT harsher than i remember.. Is this normal? Also when the car is idling for about 10 mins or so the car starts to rev a bit higher and the whole car shakes.. also is this normal?

Another thing Im not sure if this is a real problem but on cold mornings if i move the wheel left to right quickly it makes a noise and usually makes a squeaking kind of noise.. Is this because my power steering fluid is cold? or something i should worry about?

Sorry for the many list of problems if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.. Tried my best to describe best i can..

Last edited by infamxkris; 03-11-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

I think you pay attention too much about small details and noise. I do the same thing sometimes

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
I think you pay attention too much about small details and noise. I do the same thing sometimes
I don't think this is small details. I have the same concerns with my M3 and BMW refuses to aknowledge it claiming "it's normal for an M3". I don't think so. It seems everything falls under the "Normal for an M3" category. The clunking is uncomfortable and I surely would not purchase another vehicle that "clunks", "shakes" and "squeels". Maybe it's normal for a 70's auto or a Hyundai Accent, but certainly not a car of this caliber.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbimmer View Post
I don't think this is small details. I have the same concerns with my M3 and BMW refuses to aknowledge it claiming "it's normal for an M3". I don't think so. It seems everything falls under the "Normal for an M3" category. The clunking is uncomfortable and I surely would not purchase another vehicle that "clunks", "shakes" and "squeels". Maybe it's normal for a 70's auto or a Hyundai Accent, but certainly not a car of this caliber.
this is EXACTLY how i feel..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Yea I can relate with the noises coming from rear axle when driving slow or upon start up...all those things go away and everything tightens up once everything warms up and especially when the car is pushed to the limit on the track. Or even ripping down autobah at 120 MPH +
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
Yea I can relate with the noises coming from rear axle when driving slow or upon start up...all those things go away and everything tightens up once everything warms up and especially when the car is pushed to the limit on the track. Or even ripping down autobah at 120 MPH +
the clunking never stops.. even when warm.. and its really getting annoying..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

I guess it is all part of the M experience!!! -
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I've never heard of this "clunking" sound... What do you have in the trunk?

If the dealership says there's nothing wrong with the car then chances are there is nothing seriously wrong. Take it to another dealership and have it checked out to see if they say the same thing.

If you REALLY think there is something wrong with the vehicle and no one believes you, then maybe you should trade the car in now before it blows up... I really don't know. If you spend every minute while driving it listening for small sounds and clinks and clacks and whatever then you'll never enjoy the car. I think you're being paranoid.
      03-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
M3_FTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS335i View Post
Lol. It's totally normal. All the M3's I have owned do it. All my mates M3's aswell
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
mpm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS335i View Post
agreed these cars are cleary not made for certian guys, honestly these are all normal nosies and porsche with LSD and other high proformance cars all make noise so stick with a quite 335i or better yet a 328i...tired of all these posts...come on guys !
      03-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm3 View Post
agreed these cars are cleary not made for you guys, honestly these are all normal nosies and porsche with LSD and other high proformance cars all make noise so stick with a quite 335i or better yet a 328i...tired of all these posts...come on guys !
I own both a 335 and an M3. The OP is correct - the M3 does make more "sounds" than the 335, which is by comparison, ridiculously "normal".

Regarding the squeeking the OP is referring to, I think those are the brakes, which are different on the M3. The M3 has higher performance brakes which are meant to work at high speeds, thus they squeek when you are driving slow and stop at say, at a ticket booth, because the brakes are not warm (they are made to withstand higher heat than 335 brakes). These brakes often make sounds when turning slow or stopping at low speeds or when cold. This is "normal" for m3s - as all the M3s I've seen to date all do this. I wouldn't freak out about this - the components of the cars are different.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
mpm3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
^^agreed well put ! better then my semi rant
      03-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangTa View Post
I own both a 335 and an M3. The OP is correct - the M3 does make more "sounds" than the 335, which is by comparison, ridiculously "normal".

Regarding the squeeking the OP is referring to, I think those are the brakes, which are different on the M3. The M3 has higher performance brakes which are meant to work at high speeds, thus they squeek when you are driving slow and stop at say, at a ticket booth, because the brakes are not warm (they are made to withstand higher heat than 335 brakes). These brakes often make sounds when turning slow or stopping at low speeds or when cold. This is "normal" for m3s - as all the M3s I've seen to date all do this. I wouldn't freak out about this - the components of the cars are different.
squeaking happens when i move the steering wheel from left to right or right to left on a cold startup.. and makes very low clunking noises when i move the wheel fast from left to right also on a cold start up..

the clunking is annoying and sometimes very loud.. also makes the car feel a bit jerky or something ( could be in my head) but also RARELY but surely does happen.. the car makes a bit louder clunk and the car jerks forward.. and this ONLY happens when the car is completely still like at a red light.. anyone else getting this problem? if the clunking is normal i sure dont think this is.. cant see anything normal of a car jerking forward when its completely still with the brakes depressed.. only problem with this is that it happens rarely and know for sure i will not be able to duplicate it if i brought it into service.. any advice or thoughts guys?..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

also does anyones m3 jump rpms when the car is idling? usually mine will idle at the half line from 0 to 1 but when the rpms go up its usually 75% to the 1 on the rpm meter.. and the car starts shaking alot more.. if i remember correctly i think it dies down after a little bit and the rpm needle drops back down to around the half line.. is this normal as well? sorry for all the questions.. i am really paranoid and dont really listen for noises.. just things ive noticed while driving the car about a year now.. i bought the car CPO and have warranty till 1/2015 or 100k miles.. so ill be covered for a bit now but would like to get things fixed if needed ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
mpm3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
LSD is a clunky like it jerk when the rpms are lower
      03-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

The clunk is a rock stuck in the heat shield from one of the roters... Happens to me all the time and you only hear it when coasting very slow or pulling off very slowly

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
The clunk is a rock stuck in the heat shield from one of the roters... Happens to me all the time and you only hear it when coasting very slow or pulling off very slowly
nope ive had this and rather than a clunk if you got a rock stuck in the brakes it sounds like tin cans.. i am 200% sure this is not the case in my situation.. okay so ive heard some people or most people have the clunking noise from the rear but what about when you are at a red light and the car jerks forward combined with a clunk.. with the brakes pressed down (if it matters)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #18
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Have dealer check if the dct has the newest software...

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
just had it updated to the newest version
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
Quote:
Well then in that case... I wish you good luck because im out of ideas

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
Any more detail info of it? Version code ..etc??
      03-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #22
birdbrain
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Guys please do not tell the OP that "if the dealer says its ok, it is ok" In my previous bimmer I KNEW I heard a noise that was not right coming from the engine. It was admittingly subtle but was bothering me knowing it was'nt there before. I had it looked at 3 or 4 times and each time they either said it was fine, or tried to tell me it was a loose plastic piece on the front airdam/brake duct.

Long story short I had my spark plugs changed early just because I like to do way more early maintence then they reccomend and the tech checked the intake manifold as part of the process. Well there fell out one of the DISA valves that was just SITTING flat in the middle of my intake manifold, broken and laying there.

If this was not randomly caught it would have eventually sucked the pin laying beside it into my engine and boom!

If something does not seem right to you-then it probably isn't right. I would just continue to persist and research and do your best to pester them. They really only can diagnosis things if it "throws a code" They are TERRIBLE detectives or trouble shooters unless there is a SIB for it or a code thrown.

I would jack my car up and inspect it myself. Good luck!
Appreciate 0