BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Test Pipes with OEM Exhaust Mod @ Laguna Seca?

Hello,

Anyone have any idea if this will pass sound at Laguna?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Might be too much... 91 dB is pretty low.
      03-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower7 View Post
Hello,

Anyone have any idea if this will pass sound at Laguna?

Cheers,
The answer is: it depends.

If you were passing the sound booth at the top of 3rd gear and on 100% throttle, I don't think you could make it under the sound limit on a 90db day.

Now if you committed to running up the hill in 4th, you managed the throttle at 60% and you tried the moving-over-to-the-left-away-from-the-microphone strategy, you might make it under 90db. But you really would have to cruise that section....

For Laguna Seca specifically, my exhaust setup is an Akra Evo X-pipe and a completely stock, very fresh stock rear section, and I did not make sound a couple weeks ago when going 100% up the hill in 3rd. I got the Meatball flag twice--once in the AM and once in the PM. I blew 93.4 and 93.7db. Totally sucks. Last summer and several trips before, I had no problems with the same setup. Someone said that they re-calibrated the sound setup and now a lot more people are having trouble making the limit.

When I backed off the throttle a bit and short-shifted to 4th, the sound police left me alone.....

hehe at end of the day, I decided to give it a try when the skies were clear. Went up the hill in 3rd gear, 100% throttle.....immediate Meatball flag---93.7db.......
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 12:56 AM   #4
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

I wonder about this. My buddy ran his m3 with Akra Slip on no issues, my other buddy ran his C63 Black series (it is loud stock, much louder than the M3 with slip on). No issues. There were a number of other cars that were much louder and some had Laguna Seca pipes and others didn’t. Everyone I saw ran hard so???
      03-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
I wonder about this. My buddy ran his m3 with Akra Slip on no issues, my other buddy ran his C63 Black series (it is loud stock, much louder than the M3 with slip on). No issues. There were a number of other cars that were much louder and some had Laguna Seca pipes and others didn’t. Everyone I saw ran hard so???
Redpriest runs his akra at Laguna Seca and he is one of the quieter cars there.
      03-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Anyone ever experiment with turn-down pipes on their e9x m3? That's what the Porsche guys do. Dealing with sound is the primary reason I haven't been to Laguna Seca
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Anyone ever experiment with turn-down pipes on their e9x m3? That's what the Porsche guys do. Dealing with sound is the primary reason I haven't been to Laguna Seca
i explored the idea of making some with the "super trapp" tips, but the cost of around $400 kept me away. there was even a set someone had made on here going used for around $400, and i was hesitant on that because i can get away with using my oem rear section. it only takes about 35 minutes to do the swap once you get well acquainted with it.
      03-25-2018, 02:06 AM   #8
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Redpriest runs his akra at Laguna Seca and he is one of the quieter cars there.
Yes but have you heard a stock C63 Black series, or Modified GTR? They are monsters. Not quiet by any means and weren’t flagged even once at the day I attended. I just wonder if the 92db concern is a bit overstated on the forums. I plan to run my Supersprint F1 slip on without concern and without lifting.
      03-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
i explored the idea of making some with the "super trapp" tips, but the cost of around $400 kept me away. there was even a set someone had made on here going used for around $400, and i was hesitant on that because i can get away with using my oem rear section. it only takes about 35 minutes to do the swap once you get well acquainted with it.
I would consider throwing on my stock exhaust if I had it. Plus I would need the Akra adapters for installing stock onto my Akra mid pipe. $400 for turn downs sounds high but cheaper than all of the above. I may hit the local muffler shop and see if they can make something for me. I'm envisioning 4 simple 90 degree pipes that clamp onto my Akra muffler in place of the Akra tips.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would consider throwing on my stock exhaust if I had it. Plus I would need the Akra adapters for installing stock onto my Akra mid pipe. $400 for turn downs sounds high but cheaper than all of the above. I may hit the local muffler shop and see if they can make something for me. I'm envisioning 4 simple 90 degree pipes that clamp onto my Akra muffler in place of the Akra tips.
which version of the akra do you have? redpriest runs his akra at laguna on his e92 m3, and he is one of the quieter cars there... i don't know if he has the catted version or not.

i'm under 90db's with my afe 300 cel (and resonated) mid pipe with my oem rear section- and my car isn't what i would call quiet with this setup.

half of the fun of laguna [for me, anyways] is the food, shops, and laid back attitude of the region. there is nothing better than finishing up a track day and cruising over to tarpy's roadhouse down the road to catch the tail end of happy hour and gorging on appetizers.
      03-27-2018, 12:41 AM   #11
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
which version of the akra do you have? redpriest runs his akra at laguna on his e92 m3, and he is one of the quieter cars there... i don't know if he has the catted version or not.

i'm under 90db's with my afe 300 cel (and resonated) mid pipe with my oem rear section- and my car isn't what i would call quiet with this setup.

half of the fun of laguna [for me, anyways] is the food, shops, and laid back attitude of the region. there is nothing better than finishing up a track day and cruising over to tarpy's roadhouse down the road to catch the tail end of happy hour and gorging on appetizers.
I have the Akra GT4 - no cats, no resonators. It's not that loud but I'm reasonably confident it won't pass.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

So consensus is no go. Anyone have experience with Laguna Pipes?
Appreciate 0