BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Suspension Questions, Measurements

In searching for the perfect ride height, I thought I had just about accomplished it.

Now I have looked at my car so many times, its hard to remember what it looked like stock. However, I think my drop in the same is roughly about the same.. F/R.

I got a alignment at BMW, and the rack measures the bottom of your wheel, (above tire) to the top of your fender.

My measurements were as follows:
(as if this were the car)

586 FL 585 FR
588 RL 585 RR

Does this look normal?

And if this is normal, would this produce a slight amount of rake in the front? It's sort of driving me nuts trying to find a flat surface to see if the car is hunched ever so slightly forward or not. According to that drop its just about even... And according to BMW, it should sit about that much higher on the left.

Maybe the car looks like its lower in the front on occasion (from the aggressive lines and body panels..)

In your opinions though, should I raise it? etc..?

And does anyone have a printout like this of the stock measurements? or happen to know?

This was the only pic I was able to find recently, and its in my parking garage, not sure if its totally flat surface, or if there is camera distortion, or tilt, but this is with those measurements. Also this is the driver side (obvi).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

If it helps:
On a KDS II without loading Euro specs are:
Ride height front: 623mm (allow +40 -20)
Ride height rear: 607mm (allow +40 -20)
I don't know what the cross ride height difference allowed is..but it would want to be as small as possible to not screw up the corner weights too much
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
If it helps:
On a KDS II without loading Euro specs are:
Ride height front: 623mm (allow +40 -20)
Ride height rear: 607mm (allow +40 -20)
I don't know what the cross ride height difference allowed is..but it would want to be as small as possible to not screw up the corner weights too much
do you typically want this sort of offset in height front to rear? should it be a little higher in the front then rear (whats the goal with setting coils?) or do I want an even measurement?

I would consider what I have now to be even (based on the bmw alignment rack measurements) but maybe it looks slightly raked? I'd love some opinions.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
bmwe92fan
Ex GF's: E60 M5, E65, E63, E53, E46 M3, E39
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcharlesy View Post
And according to BMW, it should sit about that much higher on the left.

Maybe the car looks like its lower in the front on occasion (from the aggressive lines and body panels..)

In your opinions though, should I raise it? etc..?

Thanks
I'm not 100% sure but BMW used to spec that the left side is higher when the car is empty - so that when you sit in it - perfect balance... When they used to align my old e39 they were supposed to put weights in the drivers seat to replicate the weight of a normal driver...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
I'm not 100% sure but BMW used to spec that the left side is higher when the car is empty - so that when you sit in it - perfect balance... When they used to align my old e39 they were supposed to put weights in the drivers seat to replicate the weight of a normal driver...
I'm very aware of that, I'm just curious about the difference from front to rear, and what you ideally want. Even or slightly higher front?

I feel like there should be tons of people with experience..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Clearly the way of measuring the ride height (rim to fender) is arbitrary and doesn't indicate the actual amount of rake (+- or neutral). But you are not far off spec so its really down to personal preference - I prefer the even gaps you have myself.
Its not going to make much of a difference to the way the car handles, perhaps a touch more oversteer at speed but unlikely to be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Are you going to reply to my PMs about the spacers I still have not received from you xcharlesy?
Appreciate 0