BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

02-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #287
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
In 2003 the Audis were not quite as unrestricted. It was fun to watch them as they just smoked everyone early in the races, but as all that weight took it's toll late in the race, they'd start going backwards through the field as their brakes and tires went away. In 2004, the SCCA relaxed the restrictions on the RS6 and it cleaned up. In racing it really comes down to who gets the breaks when the rulebook comes out. As stated, Audi beat BMW in both 2003 and 2004 in Speed GT.
So why haven't any teams continued to run the RS6? Why aren't any teams currently running Audis? I see plenty of BMW's though - 2 generations M3's, 330/325/328, Z4 etc.

Why would someone prefer a FWD Acura or Civic, when the A4 should be able to clean up in theory (turbocharged, relatively fuel efficient and AWD).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #288
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I think BTCC in the best example of where in theory of where the rwd chassis should have an advantage over fwd (no awd allowed) but doesn't. Can recall the last time is did. So when all things a even fwd is better on the track, must be very interesting to you guys is it not.
Since you selectively picked just one example which showed your argument in the best light, I'll ask again
- what about other unlimited classes?

24hr Nurburgring, venues like the Pikes Peak, LeMans etc.

Why doesn't someone race the 911 Turbo instead of the GT3?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #289
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Since you selectively picked just one example which showed your argument in the best light, I'll ask again
- what about other unlimited classes?

24hr Nurburgring, venues like the Pikes Peak, LeMans etc.

Why doesn't someone race the 911 Turbo instead of the GT3?
You must have missed the point of this example,

ALL THESE CAR HAVE SAME WEIGHT, SAME POWER

surely that is the best example of proof that driven wheels or weight displacement has little or no bearing on the outcome, as has always been my point right at the very start when I highlighted the TT-RS vs M3.

I also mention countless times that preferring a certain driving experience is equally important but it's not necessarily the optimum for lap time or grip.

The 24hr N-ring is about reliability as much as anything, Porsche is a proven formula and ultimately will have a better chance of finishing the race excluding track mishaps.

The Quattro name is part of Pike peak history so enough said.

LeMans is a different amnimal where downforce cancels any real benefits that AWD will bring, the same is true for any form of motorsport that relays heavily on aerodynamics above all other.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #290
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
I think BTCC in the best example of where in theory of where the rwd chassis should have an advantage over fwd (no awd allowed) but doesn't. Can recall the last time is did. So when all things a even fwd is better on the track, must be very interesting to you guys is it not.
I thought the BTCC was won last year by a BMW 320(Colin Turkingdon?).The BMW's were usually much faster at the end of the race as they still had tires left and not to mention that they would smoke all the FWD cars at the start.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #291
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I thought the BTCC was won last year by a BMW 320(Colin Turkingdon?).The BMW's were usually much faster at the end of the race as they still had tires left and not to mention that they would smoke all the FWD cars at the start.
Why use BTCC for an example when WTCC exists? Seat (FWD turbo diesel) has had the upper hand of late, especially in higher altitudes. Rules do tend to favor one over the other, which is why they continuously evolve.
      02-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #292
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
LeMans is a different amnimal (animal) where downforce cancels any real benefits that AWD will bring, the same is true for any form of motorsport that relays heavily on aerodynamics above all other.
As for Le Mans, reliability is most important and economy has proven a greater benefit than quicker lap times, as it enables fewer time-killing stops. It goes without saying the car must work well, be kind to tires, and drivers must be worthy of the seat.
      03-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #293
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
This thread has gone way OT. The new RS5's interior looks amazing, I think the seats are what really bring it out.

The fender flares don't seem nearly as aggressive as the RS4 or even the E9X M3, but I'm sure if you were to measure it, the track is wide.

I'm eager to see how much ahead in performance this car is, 0-60, 1/4 mile, N-Ring, and slalom.

The exterior I'm not that big of a fan of. It looks beautiful yes, but so does the S5. This RS5 doesn't look as big of a visual difference as the RS4 was to the S4, or even our M3's to the 335 (which I thought was already somewhat of a small visual difference compared to the E46).

It reminds me a lot of a Camaro on the outside (stance and all, not actual styling). I do wish BMW would make seats that rival the C63 AMG, and now this RS5.

About the RWD & AWD.

I feel RWD is hard to learn, easy to master and AWD other way around.

Taking corners hard in a AWD car almost feels like cheating to me sometimes. Just steer and keep the foot on the throttle and 99% of the time it works out. That 1% is going to feel like nothing you've felt and just like that video, it seems almost uncorrectable (almost).

RWD has the rear end coming out a lot, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot and you do get used to this feeling. At first, yes it is scary but little by little with the appropriate environment practice does make perfect.

I find both are fun to drive, but overall I'd say RWD is more fun. You tend to oversteer much more, which is rewarding when you correct it correctly. Just my 2 cents.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs

Last edited by MrHarris; 03-01-2010 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #294
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
This thread has gone way OT. The new RS5's interior looks amazing, I think the seats are what really bring it out.

The fender flares don't seem nearly as aggressive as the RS4 or even the E9X M3, but I'm sure if you were to measure it, the track is wide.

I'm eager to see how much ahead in performance this car is, 0-60, 1/4 mile, N-Ring, and slalom.

The exterior I'm not that big of a fan of. It looks beautiful yes, but so does the S5. This RS5 doesn't look as big of a visual difference as the RS4 was to the S4, or even our M3's to the 335 (which I thought was already somewhat of a small visual difference compared to the E46).

It reminds me a lot of a Camaro on the outside (stance and all, not actual styling). I do wish BMW would make seats that rival the C63 AMG, and now this RS5.
When you do eventually see the RS5 next to the S5 you will instantly see how much more aggressive it looks in comparison. It's similar to comparing a 335i to the M3 side by side, only in the case of the RS5 the bits that make all the difference are impossible to miss. I do agree that this time it's not as dramatic a change as the S4 to RS4 was but this is in part down to the switch from tradition spats to the RS6 varieties.

Seats are stock S5 unless you spec the racing Recaro ones, but the noticeable changes inside are the different gear selector and steering wheel which includes the flat bottom variety as optional in some countries.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #295
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
When you do eventually see the RS5 next to the S5 you will instantly see how much more aggressive it looks in comparison. It's similar to comparing a 335i to the M3 side by side, only in the case of the RS5 the bits that make all the difference are impossible to miss. I do agree that this time it's not as dramatic a change as the S4 to RS4 was but this is in part down to the switch from tradition spats to the RS6 varieties.
Can't say I buy into the boy racer intakes in the front unless they are ducted to inter-coolers. But we all know this car is N/A, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #296
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Can't say I buy into the boy racer intakes in the front unless they are ducted to inter-coolers. But we all know this car is N/A, right?
The ducts do serve a purpose, just not the one which you are suggesting in a somewhat longing manner.
Appreciate 0