BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
335igawnM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 red

Can't find an answer: ZCP Springs/sway bars

I have a 2011 M3 sedan without EDC. I've been searching to see if fitting my car with ZCP springs would make a noticeable improvement in handling. I also wanted to know if fitting my car with aftermarket sway bars without changing other suspension components in an effort to reduce body roll, and make the car more stable under hard breaking a step in the right direction. I don't want to spend a lot of money on the suspension because its really good as is. However I feel a small improvement is needed to make it better so I'm looking for an inexpensive and easy way to go about this. Any ideas? Suggestions?

I track my car during tourist days at the Nurburgring, a bumpy track, about once a month; just a F.Y.I

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
My Schnell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 6MT / Gen II Raptor

Fitting ZCP springs would not make a noticeable improvement in handling. Also, most everyone here will say that sway bars are for fine tuning your suspension.

I had good results with just sways on other cars but I think my E90 is/was great at the Nordschleife stock. My biggest time improvements came from learning the track.

I am at 75 laps now and my time plateaued last Nov. Since then, I have upgraded my suspension to help get me past my best times. I changed my non-ZCP EDC suspension to the ZCP struts (coded correctly too) w/ Dinan stage III suspension and, so far, have only bested my lap time by 7 secs. I know there is about another 8-10 secs I can get but, as always with the Ring, it comes down to traffic.

I would wait until you really know the Green Hell, and get consistent times before you go upgrading. IMHO, it's better to spend the money on laps, fuel and servicing the car before looking at minor suspension mods.

Last note: Tires, proper brake fluid and pads will get you more for your money...

OBTW, where you located? I'll be doing a few more trips there before I move in Nov...
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT Slicktop, AA X-pipe w/straight pipes w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Thrust Arm Monoball, Solid Subframe Bushes, Black 19x9.5/10.5 APEX PS-7s, Vibra-Technics engine mounts, Auto Solutions shifter 20% throw, WPC treated Rod Bearings & AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
335igawnM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 red

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll definitely take your advice on the breaks and services for the car. As well as learning the track.

I'm located in grafenwohr and I'm planing to go to the ring on the 15th of this month.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Schnell View Post
Fitting ZCP springs would not make a noticeable improvement in handling. Also, most everyone here will say that sway bars are for fine tuning your suspension.

I had good results with just sways on other cars but I think my E90 is/was great at the Nordschleife stock. My biggest time improvements came from learning the track.

I am at 75 laps now and my time plateaued last Nov. Since then, I have upgraded my suspension to help get me past my best times. I changed my non-ZCP EDC suspension to the ZCP struts (coded correctly too) w/ Dinan stage III suspension and, so far, have only bested my lap time by 7 secs. I know there is about another 8-10 secs I can get but, as always with the Ring, it comes down to traffic.

I would wait until you really know the Green Hell, and get consistent times before you go upgrading. IMHO, it's better to spend the money on laps, fuel and servicing the car before looking at minor suspension mods.

Last note: Tires, proper brake fluid and pads will get you more for your money...

OBTW, where you located? I'll be doing a few more trips there before I move in Nov...
You coded an original non zcp/Edc car to accept zcp struts?

Do tell.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
My Schnell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 6MT / Gen II Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena NYC View Post
You coded an original non zcp/Edc car to accept zcp struts?

Do tell.
Yes, non-ZCP with EDC to ZCP with EDC. Bought the struts used from a member on the forum and the car was coded by BPM. Most any tuner/coder can upload the correct software for the struts.
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT Slicktop, AA X-pipe w/straight pipes w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Thrust Arm Monoball, Solid Subframe Bushes, Black 19x9.5/10.5 APEX PS-7s, Vibra-Technics engine mounts, Auto Solutions shifter 20% throw, WPC treated Rod Bearings & AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
Appreciate 0