BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-26-2014, 02:41 AM   #45
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The TWS vs non-TWS camp is strongly-divided and it's clear that neither side is willing to budge or listen to the other. I don't think debating it in thread after thread is getting us anywhere at this point. People need to educate themselves and make their own decisions.
I totally agree with what you say (in bold) and while that's fine for people who have the time and commitment to research oils and all its complexities....I think it's less fine for a vocal minority (not you directed at you) to advise the uninformed to switch to Mobil 1. This is not like what tyre to use or what camber to set...this is advice to move to an oil with a totally unknown outcome. No one has the faintest idea how the S65 will fare with Mobil 1 after 50k miles - it may be better or it may be worse.
It seems even more ill advised in this thread - Supercharged S65 engines already statistically suffer a failure rate >4 times the standard rate and all pretty much bearing related - in what universe is recommending a thinner oil a good idea?
I see there is a new thread where some bloke has used an oil additive that is so good his car can now keep up with a Gallardo and his mpg has gone up from 19 to 28. Clearly that's the way to go, I'm getting me some of that stuff

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 02-26-2014 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #46
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Found you guys...whew..I thought the train has left without me
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #47
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I totally agree with what you say (in bold) and while that's fine for people who have the time and commitment to research oils and all its complexities....I think it's less fine for a vocal minority (not you directed at you) to advise the uninformed to switch to Mobil 1. This is not like what tyre to use or what camber to set...this is advice to move to an oil with a totally unknown outcome. No one has the faintest idea how the S65 will fare with Mobil 1 after 50k miles - it may be better or it may be worse.
It seems even more ill advised in this thread - Supercharged S65 engines already statistically suffer a failure rate >4 times the standard rate and all pretty much bearing related - in what universe is recommending a thinner oil a good idea?
I see there is a new thread where some bloke has used an oil additive that is so good his car can now keep up with a Gallardo and his mpg has gone up from 19 to 28. Clearly that's the way to go, I'm getting me some of that stuff
I agree that the failure mode needs to be better understood before you can say which is better.

If I had the desire to supercharge I might consider pulling the bearings every 25k miles out of curiosity, and switch oils at that time to compare. Not very cost effective, but would be interesting.
Appreciate 0