BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

10-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

What's your take on this... ???

I was in a debate with a friend of mine about cars in general and being an enthusiast. I have driven many different cars and in my experience there have been times I swore I'd love a particular one and vice versa, after actually driving it however my opinion completely changed.

My friend is a Corvette fanboi, he swears by them. He raves there is no better combination of everything in one package and he rarely even considers buying another car. I told him he is missing out.

He has a ton of misconceptions about many areas regarding cars:

-He feels that the only benefit/reason for all wheel drive is poor weather such as rain and snow...

*My take: I feel that it is about more than just poor weather, each car is unique in its own right and it is not as simple as being AWD, RWD or FWD that makes it what it is but how each attribute of a certain car compliments one another. A particular car may not be AS fast, or be better at a certain something if anything to be significantly more satisfying, it is about more than just performance numbers, it is about how it FEELS, its feedback etc. I've driven cars that are not the best at this or that however a certain something or combination of makes it a memorable vehicle.

-He swears he will never drive or consider buying cars like Porsches, M3's, S4's... anything german especially. He says it is because they are extremely unreliable and expensive to maintain or repair

*My take: He does have a reasonable concern, but I feel he has blown it out of context and is ignorant to dismiss so many great vehicles because of this misconception. While some cars are ridiculously unreliable and finicky there are others that are a bit more expensive to maintain but offer something special to justify it. I feel repair and maintenance costs can be reduced drastically if you change how you go about it, finding and independent shop, doing small things your self, buying certain parts and not others instead of getting sucked into stealership ways.

-He swears that a C5 Corvette or C5Z will always get 19mpg city and 26 mpg highway regardless of how you drive it or what is done to it... He sees this as a huge selling point to the Corvette and one big reason why it is so great.

*My take: While I can agree in stock form the C5 and even C6 will get solid MPG in the city and the highway I assured him he would see a significant drop if he drove it like a person should drive a Corvette in stock form, and especially with modification. Just because a car achieves solid fuel efficiency when driven normally it will suffer severely with a heavy foot stock or modified C5 or not.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Does he have really bad vision has he had a good look at that C5 interior?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
Does he have really bad vision has he had a good look at that C5 interior?
He doesn't mind it. I don't think he cares much about interiors.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f150

My take:
I see both sides here, but I'm going to have to agree with your freind . Now ive been in loads of cars anything from fast mustangs to Ferrari's ,Lamborghini's, etc . You name it I've been in it. And the truth is as far as performance goes. The Corvette does continue to be a really good bang for your buck car. And quite frankly Ive been in both a Gallardo and Z06 and to say the least the Z06 would cream it.. Now obviously when your paying about 200 grand more for a car there should be things that set it apart from a MEASLY 50 thousand dollar corvette. Well once you step inside of a Ferrari , it does come apparent that the interiors are nicer , better materials etc. But the truth is not everyone can afford a Ferrari so , if you want a car that goes just as fast and does everything just about equal if not better , then go for a Corvette. As far as maintenance goes , and reliability. Your friends right. It does cost a pretty penny to service a Ferrari vs a corvette lets be real here. Also take into account that maybe the reason your freind doesnt want to consider other cars is because hes found something hes happy with and in his eyes its the best thing he can afford for the money hes willing to spend. Id agree with him there too
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

This is a blonde or brunette argument. Valid points on both sides, so do you want the 20 year old wild thing who lacks some refinement but tries really hard, or do you go with the slightly older brunette who has learned some valuable skills, is refined and you can take home to mom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0