BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

OEM vs stoptech replacement rotors

Not talking about the stoptech aerorotors, just the plain one piece rotors.
http://www.3zero3motorsports.com/sto...09-m3-e90-rear (not buying from that site, just for reference)

Any advantage to either one?

Got a quote and the price for stoptech rotors and street performance pads are the same as OEM pads and rotors. The stoptech rotors cost a bit more, but the pads are cheaper.

Probably sticking with OEM pads as its a daily driver and I've read that the OEM has better initial/cold bite.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Not talking about the stoptech aerorotors, just the plain one piece rotors.
http://www.3zero3motorsports.com/sto...09-m3-e90-rear (not buying from that site, just for reference)

Any advantage to either one?

Got a quote and the price for stoptech rotors and street performance pads are the same as OEM pads and rotors. The stoptech rotors cost a bit more, but the pads are cheaper.

Probably sticking with OEM pads as its a daily driver and I've read that the OEM has better initial/cold bite.
Why would you pay the same price to go from the OEM 2-piece rotor to a 1-piece? If anything it should be cheaper since it's a downgrade.
      05-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

I am planning my first post-warranty brake rotor replacement and have a similar question. I agree with the first responder, and would not choose the one piece StopTechs, but there is supposed to be a 2 piece AeroRotor Replacement Kit (ARK) from StopTech. I have been unable to find it.

From what I have seen the options for keeping OEM calipers are the StopTech ARK, Performance Friction Stock replacements, and RacingBrake Stock replacements.

I have never heard of RacingBrake before starting this search, and their web marketing does not inspire confidence. Is it a worthy product?

I've seen hot and cold reviews of the Performance Friction set. May not be able to find in stock.

And as I said, I cannot find the ARK kit for sale from stoptech.

Any thoughts from the experts? No, a BBK is not an option. I just don't want to pay my own maintenance dollars on the soft oem rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

There is a reason there aren't any widely used OEM rotor alternatives: OEM rotors are very very good. I would stick with them and play around with pads. I used then with race pads (pagid rs19) and they worked flawlessly. Also I have never seen anyone posting any problems with the OEM rotors here. I have seen problems with aftermarket ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

I don't disagree that they work well, but there are trade offs. The soft iron alloy doesn't hold up. My stock pads outlasted the stock rotors, and that really offends me, even though I intellectually appreciate the design decision that was made. It was fine when it was under warranty, but now I want to look at the options out there and make an informed choice.

There are options that are lighter, more durable, and better designed for heat dissipation. But also with tradeoffs. I was hoping people with experience with the products might chime in.
Appreciate 0