BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

howling sound from drivebelts, help! dealer says...

I recently got my used e90, and i hear this howling sound coming from the beltline/pulleys w/e... I mostly hear it in idle. It's a bit louder when cold. I took it to the dealer, and they told me that it's the alternator that's making the sound. They swapped it, but i guess the one they swapped it for does the same thing, so they ordered another one... I'm brining the car back to them again tomorrow. It doesn't sound right, how can two alternators be bad? Plus he is telling me that the alternators are completly fine, it's just that they are making this whining sound... I know the sound is louder than it should be....

any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

how many miles on the car? is it possible to capture in video? Maybe it's time to change the belts

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
WillC310
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A car

Just let the dealer handle it. They aren't going to start replacing parts based off what people say here, they just have to go through their (monkey) process before they actually do any real troubleshooting. Case and point: I had an oil leak in my E46M3. I had to take it back 4x before they finally got off the standard BS process of replacing commonly failed parts and used some UV dye to track down where the leak was coming from. Once they did that it never leaked again.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

car has 36k miles. Problem is, i don't have much time, i'm shipping the car overseas on monday, i need to fix whatever need fixing now! in germany warranty is only 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
car has 36k miles. Problem is, i don't have much time, i'm shipping the car overseas on monday, i need to fix whatever need fixing now! in germany warranty is only 2 years.

If you bought the car here, in US as a US resident, then you still have your full warranty in Germany. You'll have to contact BMWNA once the 2 years are up so you can have all the work done in Germany.

The way it used to be, is that you would pay for the repairs, and BMWNA would send you a check. But this was 10 years ago. So contact BMWNA and ask them how they would cover the cost of work on your car in Germany.
Appreciate 0