BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Job follow up question

so here is what happened...

Feb 22- Fri: Sent out 2 applications. one for fabrication on installations and one for residential architecture

Feb 23- Sat: I got a call for an interview with a company for a fabrication position (CNC, laser cut, 3dprints)

Feb 25- Mon: Went on an interview

Feb 28- Thu: got a call from the residential architecture firm

Feb 29- Fri: Interview with residential architecture

Mar 4- Mon: Got a call and email from residential architecture to start work asap

I called fabrication company and then emailed to follow up and check my status because I'd prefer to work for them.

Mar 5- Tues: today the principal of the fabrication company emailed me and told me they'd like for me to join their team (in a month or so) but it was not cool that I called his phone yesterday and it is usually a grounds for rejection for an application.

So here is the question:

It was the same phone that he used to call me last Saturday when he set me up with an interview. I only called him once and left a brief message. However, I emailed all three of the people who interviewed me and that includes him.

To be professional, I just apologized so I can keep the opportunity.

So is it really not cool to call the principal of a company? Maybe I missed the posting that said no calls please. But I already had an interview with them.

Please share some feedback and your experiences. Thanks.
      03-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

He's petty, and a narcissist. Go with the other company.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

That's the first time I've heard of that. No one should be unreachable in a sense. Would you want to work for someone like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
There was no HR person to contact? Typically all contact should go through that person, aside from thank you letters.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I wouldnt go work there after getting off to that kind of start.

Also wouldnt work for someone who thinks hes that important.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I wouldn't like it if someone called me either. But that is the reason I don't use my personal phone for work stuff, and him calling you on a Saturday is not cool either.

boundaries go both ways and he obviously doesn't have a sense for it.
      03-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
There was no HR person to contact? Typically all contact should go through that person, aside from thank you letters.
Right. But in this case the guy called the OP himself. That pretty much means that he can be contacted. It's a little strange to be that the guy said it wasn't cool to call him...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I don't disagree, I was only asking...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I wouldn't like it if someone called me either. But that is the reason I don't use my personal phone for work stuff, and him calling you on a Saturday is not cool either.

boundaries go both ways and he obviously doesn't have a sense for it.
^ what he said. If he contacted you from the number you called, and there wasn't another number listed as the appropriate contact number, then I see no reason for being upset you called.

Personally I would not want to work for somebody that reacted like he did though. I would not want to deal with that kind of attitude on a daily basis.
      03-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
It seems like there could be two things at play. The guy seems very self-important (read: douchie) or he's careless and doesn't remember that he called you from that number. I have some busy associates who send me work emails from their Yahoo accounts because they're in such a rush to do things that they forget...

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I think everyone said it, screw the first company and go with the second. For many reason but the mere fact he told you not to call him is very unprofessional. I have interview many times over the years and if I am interesting in the job I have always called the hiring manager even if they did not give their numbers. I had always found a way to get the number and never once did I have someone say anything remotely close to what this guy said. A few ask how I got their number and when I told them they were impressed. Most time hiring person was honest and said if they were or were not interested.

Also if he saying they are interested in you a month or so from now, why are they interviewing now. I think he is blowing you off in an odd way. Take the second job since they obviously know how to make a decision quickly.

Last edited by Maestro; 03-06-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

LOL the same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Except the manager that reacted was completely different and so I went with them.

I applied to two jobs, and one job got through the process quickly and had an offer ready for me.

The second job, which was my number 1 option, was a bit slow, but they were a bigger company.

I called the manager who interviewed me from the big company, and he didn't answer either. I left a voice mail saying I got an offer from another company, but I really wanted to work for them.

The manager called me the next day apologizing that it was taking so long, and the next day I got an offer from them via e-mail which I accepted . If the company wants you badly enough they will hurry up or at least show interest.

Like everyone else has said, I would be weary if your manager (or principle) to be calls you and is mad. They should understand you are applying for other jobs, and you were just letting him know your status. Especially if he called you first

if you made it up to being interviewed in person by the manager, then you should be able to call him directly instead of HR. HR departments are slow..

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 03-05-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

thanks for the responses guys. I accepted the residential architecture job and I start tomorrow but I would still love to someday get my hands on fabricating parts for cool installations like the other company builds.

now that I think about it I don't think I'd like to work for a company like that if the principal is not cool. so maybe I'll just collaborate with my friends and do our own side projects similar to the other company's works. I know we are capable of putting together complex builds.

On the brighter side of things. the architect who interview me last Friday and his main worker loves watching top gear UK. hafway through the interview we ended up talking about top gear UK. haha. And I think I'll have fun in there being a big fan of Flight of the Conchords and the architect being from New Zealand.

thanks again everyone! appreciate the feedback.

anyway, here is a sample of what I like building.

robotic surface for architecture facade

space based solar powered station that shoots microwave to the earth for energy harvest

03-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
At least you got a response. A few months back I applied to a aftermarket automotive parts vendor for BMW, Audi,and VW(paid vendor of here and vw vortex). If you know the states where most of those companies are located and look where I live it's pretty easy detective work to figure out who.

Anyways, the way you apply you send your resume to one central application email address. I ended up getting a call from 3 different managers or different departments. So off the bat I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting one of the jobs. I had 3 initial phone interviews and all 3 said they would call me back and two of which actually slammed on some of the resumes they had been receiving and made nice compliments about mine.

A week passes and only one manager calls me back for a interview even after the other two who talked smack about their other resumes never called me back. Well I went in and the interview went pretty well, at least the manager seemed happy and expressed that he would be in touch very soon.

Another week passed so I took the initiative to email the manager to express my interest and thank him for the interview. I NEVER heard anything again.

I found the whole process very unprofessional and the fact that I was never even sent a "thanks but no thanks" form letter as a joke. In the end it's not like I was jobless. Just looking for a change of scenery.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I don't disagree, I was only asking...
Oh for sure. I was agreeing with you. Just saying that it's weird that the main guy got mad over nothing considering he was the main contact.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
At least you got a response. A few months back I applied to a aftermarket automotive parts vendor for BMW, Audi,and VW(paid vendor of here and vw vortex). If you know the states where most of those companies are located and look where I live it's pretty easy detective work to figure out who.

Anyways, the way you apply you send your resume to one central application email address. I ended up getting a call from 3 different managers or different departments. So off the bat I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting one of the jobs. I had 3 initial phone interviews and all 3 said they would call me back and two of which actually slammed on some of the resumes they had been receiving and made nice compliments about mine.

A week passes and only one manager calls me back for a interview even after the other two who talked smack about their other resumes never called me back. Well I went in and the interview went pretty well, at least the manager seemed happy and expressed that he would be in touch very soon.

Another week passed so I took the initiative to email the manager to express my interest and thank him for the interview. I NEVER heard anything again.

I found the whole process very unprofessional and the fact that I was never even sent a "thanks but no thanks" form letter as a joke. In the end it's not like I was jobless. Just looking for a change of scenery.
i agree that it's pretty unprofessional when employers don't give you at least a generic courtesy letter for turning you down. is it so hard to be honest to someone you don't know personally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Oh for sure. I was agreeing with you. Just saying that it's weird that the main guy got mad over nothing considering he was the main contact.
yeah its weird.

the initial application was sent to their hr email address with no name. so I really did not think that I needed to go through that email address again since he already called me with his phone and emailed me with his work email.

oh well... maybe he forgot to take his chill pill.