BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Silent9o8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black M3 Convertible

New 09 M3 Convert Engine oil level high?

Hello, I am a new PROUD owner of the M3 convertible and I was just going through system information and noticed the system said engine level too high?.. So I brought it in and they technician said they come in filled up high because it burns more oil from the 1st break in period of 1200 miles? anyone have this problem or is the dealership bsing me.

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Yes, that is total BS. I would call the service manager of that dealership. If he says the same thing, it's time to find another place to have the car serviced.

Congrats on your new car and welcome!
      11-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Silent9o8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black M3 Convertible

thanks for the fast response anyone else ever had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes, it happens all the time during an oil change, or when people try to add oil. The problem is this car doesn't have a dip stick, and the only way to check the oil is with the electronic display. People have been complaining about it loudly on this forum for quite some time.

Sometimes dealerships have overfilled during oil changes, and sometimes owners have overfilled trying to top off the oil level between changes. The safest thing to do is wait until it tells you to add 1L, which it will when it needs it.

However, I've never heard of one showing up overfilled upon delivery. It is possible it is a sensor problem (and not actually overfilled), but it is not acceptable to run the car for very long with an overfilled indication. The response you received from the tech. at the dealership was incorrect. It needs to be checked.

BTW, ask the dealer to give you a 1L container to carry with you in the car. The Castrol 10w/60 oil in this car is virtually impossible to find anywhere but a BMW dealer, and don't think about using anything else. You'll want to have it with you when it tells you to add.
      11-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent9o8 View Post
Hello, I am a new PROUD owner of the M3 convertible and I was just going through system information and noticed the system said engine level too high?.. So I brought it in and they technician said they come in filled up high because it burns more oil from the 1st break in period of 1200 miles? anyone have this problem or is the dealership bsing me.

thanks in advance!
What an idiot. You correctly asked about your oil level being overfilled and he moronically suggests its "normal"? Unbelievable !!
      11-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Do a search on how to properly check for oil level and make sure it's overfilled first. Most folks here don't want to mess with the sensor, but once you know how it works, it's pretty accurate and consistent. I always keep my oil topped off, so no need to carry a bottle of oil in my $70K car, but to each his own. I also prefer to have it full than close to a liter low, but that's just me.

Whichever way you want to deal with the oil level situation, at least learn how to check it accurately, which is NOT by looking at the gauge while underway. And if you're a bit handy, you can easily drain the front sump (it holds 1/2-liter) if it's indeed overfilled, rather than dealing with apparently incompetent techs at your dealership, but again, that's just me. Good luck, and welcome to the family .
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Do a search on how to properly check for oil level and make sure it's overfilled first. Most folks here don't want to mess with the sensor, but once you know how it works, it's pretty accurate and consistent. I always keep my oil topped off, so no need to carry a bottle of oil in my $70K car, but to each his own. I also prefer to have it full than close to a liter low, but that's just me.

Whichever way you want to deal with the oil level situation, at least learn how to check it accurately, which is NOT by looking at the gauge while underway. And if you're a bit handy, you can easily drain the front sump (it holds 1/2-liter) if it's indeed overfilled, rather than dealing with apparently incompetent techs at your dealership, but again, that's just me. Good luck, and welcome to the family .
ELP, generally good advice, and I've seen you say the same things multiple times on this forum. But, quite frankly, I've never seen any difference in the level using either using your method or viewing it at random times while underway. It stays the same no matter what.

In 8000 miles, I've watched the car go from perfectly topped off at delivery, which never varied through the 1200-mile, break-in change, to 3/4 today. I've never added a drop of oil, and I've never seen a single indicator variation, no matter when or where I look at the indicator. However, I've seen various people report crazy readings on this forum, and my car is only one data-point, as is yours.

From my standpoint, I'm liking this new system on my car a lot. It's saving me a wee bit of hassle, and I'm always happy to see the indication that all is well in the oil department, while running down the highway.
      11-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Mine was very slightly overfull on delivery, but we caught it on going over the car's controls; and they whisked into the shop and took a bit out.

The explanation given to the OP is just nonsense. Not an encouraging start at the dealers.
      11-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Yes, it happens all the time during an oil change, or when people try to add oil. The problem is this car doesn't have a dip stick, and the only way to check the oil is with the electronic display. People have been complaining about it loudly on this forum for quite some time.

Sometimes dealerships have overfilled during oil changes, and sometimes owners have overfilled trying to top off the oil level between changes. The safest thing to do is wait until it tells you to add 1L, which it will when it needs it.

However, I've never heard of one showing up overfilled upon delivery. It is possible it is a sensor problem (and not actually overfilled), but it is not acceptable to run the car for very long with an overfilled indication. The response you received from the tech. at the dealership was incorrect. It needs to be checked.

BTW, ask the dealer to give you a 1L container to carry with you in the car. The Castrol 10w/60 oil in this car is virtually impossible to find anywhere but a BMW dealer, and don't think about using anything else. You'll want to have it with you when it tells you to add.

So true! Congrats on the new ride.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
atk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

How to drain the front sump?

Hi all,

I just put in 0.6L of oil into my car after the sensor had been reading 1/3 full between the min and max levels for about a week. After driving 15 miles it now reads that it's over full.

Does anyone have any quick tips for taking out oil, or do I actually need to get under the car and drain the front sump? If the latter is the case, how exactly do I drain it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atk View Post
Hi all,

I just put in 0.6L of oil into my car after the sensor had been reading 1/3 full between the min and max levels for about a week. After driving 15 miles it now reads that it's over full.

Does anyone have any quick tips for taking out oil, or do I actually need to get under the car and drain the front sump? If the latter is the case, how exactly do I drain it?

Thanks!
The only way to drain oil is to remove one of the drain plugs on the oil pan and remove perhaps 1/2 qt.

If you follow the manufacturer's instructions and leave it alone until it tells you to add 1L, you won't have that problem. Anywhere between min and max levels on the electronic gauge means the level is fine.
      02-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

I had an underfill message after my 2000km (1200 mi) service, took it back to the dealer and they said it was that they had forgotten to re-set the sensor, maybe they were bs-ing me or maybe that has happened to your car.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

They were definitley BS'ing to cover up their screw up.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I also learned my lesson with the overfilling over the oil. The general rule of thumb is add the 1qt like it asks but it will take roughly 3 cycles of driving for the display to update properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

Correcting an overfill

I think ELP has it nailed. After having to add oil occasionally, changing my oil and overfilling it, I can vouch for the both the front sump trick to remove a little as well as the ad-a-little (less than 1/4 liter at a time due to the inaccuracy of the sensor) and then asking for an on-demand oil level check while the car is on flat ground at idle.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
ELP, generally good advice, and I've seen you say the same things multiple times on this forum.
Yep, trying to help as many owners as possible . Few folks seem to search before asking questions, but if I have the time, prefer to help rather than tell them to search .

Quote:
But, quite frankly, I've never seen any difference in the level using either using your method or viewing it at random times while underway.
I have, when cycling from 'speed' to 'fuel mileage'. But every time I check it 'on demand', it's been 100% consistent.
Not hard to understand if you think about it: The sensor is at the very rear of the main sump (rather than at the middle), so going up or down hill affects the oil level at the sensor. Add to that running the engine at higher rpm vs idle, and it's easy to see how it can be inconsistent. Same as checking your tire pressures when hot.

And no, I'm not trying to change your mind from your 'follow the manual' mentality; it's a valid opinion as well. Just want to give folks an option. I like options . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh you certainly won't change my mind on the "adding oil a little at a time" issue. That's just an obsessive/compulsive, high-maintenance, waste of my time, which is far more valuable. It also opens Pandora's Box as our latest "overfiller" learned.

What I do know is that I've never once seen anyone report that they got an "overfill" message IF they waited to add oil until the car told them to. The only benefit to seeing a topped-off reading every time you drive the car is all in a person's head. But, if that makes you or anyone else happy, knock yourselves out
      02-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
I also learned my lesson with the overfilling over the oil. The general rule of thumb is add the 1qt like it asks but it will take roughly 3 cycles of driving for the display to update properly.
If you just press the indicator stalk on the driver's side, after the oil is added with engine running, it will reset and give you a reading right away.
Did this the last time i went for a top-up with the SA and tech standing right there, they said you will have to drive it for a few miles, but as i pressed it said ok and the 1L light went away, double confirmed through I-Drive
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
If you just press the indicator stalk on the driver's side, after the oil is added with engine running, it will reset and give you a reading right away.
Did this the last time i went for a top-up with the SA and tech standing right there, they said you will have to drive it for a few miles, but as i pressed it said ok and the 1L light went away, double confirmed through I-Drive
cool! didn't know that...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's just an obsessive/compulsive, high-maintenance, waste of my time, which is far more valuable.
Far from it. I don't 'waste' any time, as I always check oil on my vehicles once a month, and on this car it's even quicker . And I know exactly what to add, and how to add it, so I'll never overfill it. It's just like if I had a dipstick; you just have to learn how to use it .

If you enjoy totting around with a quart of oil and a funnel in your trunk like if you were driving a clunker, and having to stop and pour a quart whenever you happen to get your message, knock yourself out . Until the next thread man .

Last edited by JCtx; 02-03-2010 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #21
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

What a bunch of Morons! It's hard to find good service departments
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #22
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Oh you certainly won't change my mind on the "adding oil a little at a time" issue. That's just an obsessive/compulsive, high-maintenance, waste of my time, which is far more valuable. It also opens Pandora's Box as our latest "overfiller" learned.

What I do know is that I've never once seen anyone report that they got an "overfill" message IF they waited to add oil until the car told them to. The only benefit to seeing a topped-off reading every time you drive the car is all in a person's head. But, if that makes you or anyone else happy, knock yourselves out

I completely agree with Foosh. Being an overly anal owner, I learned the hard way. I added a quart, but the indicator didn't display that my oil level was completely full. I ended up adding more, then getting the overfilled message a day later. It is better to just add the ammount the car asks for only when it asks for it.