BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #23
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

The cop is not a hater, he's just doing his job. Time for you to man-up and pay your fine because you got caught.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
after a couple more tickets, you wont be speeding anymore.... thats the way it goes...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #25
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkur View Post
Thanks for the support guys. I have a few days before I have to respond to the ticket and wil research to see what my options are.

One thing that continues to bother me was why he didnt use his radar? Just after giving me the ticket and leaving, he turns it on and boom my radar detector is showing me full signal and going haywire. I wonder if he saw my radar detector after he pulled me over and put down "paced". He probably didnt even pace me correctly and just guessed as I blew by him.
It doesn't really matter if "paced" tickets are equally valid. If you are a new offender then I'd definitely go to court. IMO, I don't buy the fact that they are equal in the eyes of the law. One is an eye witness, the other is a piece of monitoring equipment.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #26
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

pay your fine, be an adult

nobody's out to get you, you were speeding

if you're going to do something illegal, you have to be ready to accept the consequences.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #27
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Damn... After helping my mother-in-law pickup her new BMW 328i sedan, I got a ticket in my coupe on the way home!!! The cop said I was going 90 in 65, the thing was that my radar detecter didnt go off. I was sitting in the car cursing at the damn thing for not going off. Then the cop hands me the ticket and leaves, I was going to ask him how he clocked me but in my confused state of mind I forgot. I then read the darn thing and it has a check mark on "paced". What the hell is that?? Does it mean he followed me and guessed how fast I was going.

I honestly dont know how fast I was going but by the time I saw the cop with the lights in the rear view mirror and look down I was going about 75.

I am wondering if I should fight the ticket in court. I cant take defensive driving as I got a ticket earlier (I got a ticket going to the airport for my ED!).

Any ideas or suggestions?

PS: all you conspiracy theorist are welcome to jump on the "red = ticket magnet"

I'm going to try not to flame you and anyone else who has gotten "paced tickets". But to have gotten a ticket when the cop has got to have followed you for at least a quarter of a mile, and many times, more, is ridiculous. I don't understand how poeple can go that long without glancing in your rearview mirror? Unless the cop is in an unmarked Camary or something else really out of the ordinary, if you check your rear you will notice someone following, especially an impala or other marked or unmarked cruiser. I see on the highways all the time state troopers in marked cars running up the left lane, not trying to pull anyone over, just cruising to a destination (no lights on) and I will see him way back and get over, then he will pass me and the car in front of me won't move for at least a mile and then suddenly turn on his signal and move over as if he just saw the cop. I don't understand how anyone could have a cop on their ass for that long and not notice

Sorry.

Last edited by mesier1111; 07-10-2007 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #28
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMP View Post
To go 90 mph?!? If you are going to speed, plop down $300 for a helmet and drive over the Sebring and they'll let you drive as fast as your heart desires. But paying that much to drive 90 mph seems retarded to me.
Although once, a long time ago, I was in my dad's L6 when he got passed by a Testarossa that was going about 130 on a highway in upstate NY. The conversation went like this:

Me (all of 12 years old at the time): "Isn't that guy worried about getting a speeding ticket?"

My dad: "Are you kidding? He just spent close to $200k on that car. For him, a $200 ticket isn't a fine, it's a speed tax receipt."
      07-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #29
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJAX View Post
It doesn't really matter if "paced" tickets are equally valid. If you are a new offender then I'd definitely go to court. IMO, I don't buy the fact that they are equal in the eyes of the law. One is an eye witness, the other is a piece of monitoring equipment.
You're right. Most of the time, the eye witness will have more credibility than the monitoring equipment.
      07-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #30
Enkur
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Hey guys I am ready to admit that perhaps I was speeding for maybe just a very short section of the highway. The highway I was on is newly constructed and you cant speed for any length of time at all. It just looked suspicous to me and I thought I get your guys opinion.
Hey I will pay the fine or whatever punishment but not without a fight. If he proves in court how he "paced" me I will take whatever the judge decides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesier1111 View Post
I'm going to try not and falme you and anyone else who have got paced tickets. But to have gotten one the cop has got to have followed you for at least a quarter of a mile, and many times, more. So what I don't understand is how poeple can go that long without glancing in your rearview mirror? Unless the cop is in an unmarked camary or something really out of the ordinary, if you check your rear you will notice someone following, especially an impala or other car. I see on the highway all the time a state trooper running up the left lane, not trying to pull anyone over, just cruising to a destination (no lights on) and I will see him way back and get over, then he will pass me and the car in front of me won't move for at least a mile and then suddenly turn on his signal and move over as if he just saw it. I don't understand how anyone could have a cop on their ass for that long and not notice

Sorry.
      07-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #31
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
He DID prove it. "Paced" means that the officer was driving behind the speeding vehicle and noting the speed. That is about the best proof there is.

If he was doing 90 then he has no right to whine about a ticket. If you want to drive 90 MPH then be a man and take your lumps.
Proof means the officer has to establish a "foundation". A foundation, in this situation, means the speedometer on this vehicle, has to be calibrated correctly.

The officer has to established proof that his speedometer and vehicle has the proper maintenance schedule logged, as well as proof that the speedometer has been calibrated according to maintenance schedule.

If the officer cannot prove this foundation in court, nothing else he says matters because the cop could be telling the truth that he sees 90 mph in this speedometer (while he pace you), but if the speedometer is incorrect, then his testimony is worthless.
      07-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #32
ward
Major General
Rep

why waste a day off from work when the end result will be the same

skip the courtroom, you'll be saving us all a couple of tax dollars
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #33
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I do know of someone who had a pair of 911s, one red and one silver.

The "issues" were invariably wih the red car, no matter who was driving it.
I'd hire a lawyer and fight it. I don't know how accurate a pace really is, unless he was practically glued to your back bumper.

Skeptics who don't believe that OP was singled out -- do you really think that the cops pay as much attention to a gray Volvo station wagon driven by a white guy wearing a necktie as to a red Ferrari driven by a black guy wearing gold chains?

I would also suggest ordering your next car in a more innocuous color.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #34
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRS4 View Post
well i believe by law in California a Police officer needs two forms of proof that you where speeding, which is why many police clock you then pace you. Or of course if they dont have that they can add, no front plate, tint, etc.
Where in the CA vehicle code does it say that ??
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #35
Enkur
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Its not a waste of time.. because if I win it means what I believe to be right in principle and saving me hundreds in my insurance going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
why waste a day off from work when the end result will be the same

skip the courtroom, you'll be saving us all a couple of tax dollars
      07-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #36
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Its not a waste of time.. because if I win it means what I believe to be right in principle and saving me hundreds in my insurance going up.
or you could go to traffic school

even if you were only going 1mph over the limit, that'd mean you were speeding
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #37
QwaZyWabbiT
Cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 PREM SPORT AUTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbrules View Post
Should have gotten a 335i with procede and just run from the cops next time.
L M A O
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #38
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

I never get tired of reading about traffic violators that seem to think getting out of a ticket based on not telling the truth is OK. The right to fight the ticket is part of the few rights Americans still have but what exactly is the point of fighting a ticket when you are guilty?

There is always some elaborate story and someone will eventually tell you to get an attorney, move your court date a few times, cop suck or whatever. Truly a waste of law enforcement recourses and court time, cops that should be on the road are dragged into court for speeders that can't accept the punishment for the offense.

It's your right so go get your sliver of the Constitution but next time you get a ticket and wonder why it takes months or even years to get legitimate cases to trial .... remember you needed to fight that speeding ticket along with the other 10's of thousands of other guilty speeders in the hopes your dishonesty would save you a few dollars
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #39
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I don't know how accurate a pace really is, unless he was practically glued to your back bumper.
That doesn't matter, and it's not going to get him off the hook. The speed estimate generally only has to be reasonably close, not perfect.
      07-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #40
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
If speed limits were not set artificially low is the first place, people would be able to drive at a reasonable speed with out worrying about constantly getting tickets.
He was doing 90 in a 65 zone. How is that considered a "reasonable speed" ??
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #41
tgom222
Rep
Drives: too much

I feel your pain.

I got a ticket in Austin while in college. Like you, I had taken defensive driving within the past year. (The only two tickets in my life cam within 9 months, go figure)

There is a way to keep it off your record.

For my ticket I went to the Courthouse annex place off 35 and asked if I could have "deferred adjudication." They let me. I had to pay the ticket plus court costs and take the defensive driving class. Then if you go 90 days w/o another violation they dismiss the ticket. It costs more than a first ticket, but you can keep a second ticket off your record.

Hopefully they don't give you a problem with being 25 mph over the limit.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #42
Enkur
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thats good info... if they let me do that I will take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgom222 View Post
I feel your pain.

I got a ticket in Austin while in college. Like you, I had taken defensive driving within the past year. (The only two tickets in my life cam within 9 months, go figure)

There is a way to keep it off your record.

For my ticket I went to the Courthouse annex place off 35 and asked if I could have "deferred adjudication." They let me. I had to pay the ticket plus court costs and take the defensive driving class. Then if you go 90 days w/o another violation they dismiss the ticket. It costs more than a first ticket, but you can keep a second ticket off your record.

Hopefully they don't give you a problem with being 25 mph over the limit.

Good luck.
      07-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #43
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look, like every other American, you have a right to make the government prove its case in court, even if you are guilty.

But let it not escape your attention that the reason why your insurance goes up when you speed is because people who commit moving violations like speeding are at greater risk for getting into accidents. Saving yourself money by beating the system means that the rest of us have to pay more to cover you. Thanks.
      07-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #44
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Toad View Post
Unfortunately we all don't have an Autobahn like Mr Crutch so we have to deal with speed limits.
Right now, I only have the Autobahn until Feb 09, then back to the states, where I joke I will probably get arrested the first week because of my habit of setting the cruise at 135mph

I did get one ticket while I lived in the states, and I got PBJ talking to the judge. It was my only ticket, and I was 20 at the time. Had to pay the fine, court costs and take a driver improvement class. What a waste of a Saturday, but still better than a point on my license.
Appreciate 0