BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #45
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Anyone running the Bilstein EDC shocks with B&G springs? pics?
      07-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #46
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have to say that now I got the B16D installed the car is absolutely perfect. Puts down the power wonderfully, feels glued to the road, and feedback is unbelievable. Now I understand what I've read before many times about the 'car being on rails'. Recently got onto the highway, floored it on the ramp and it was just a missile. Before that and since I got the ESS kit I would get wobbling and uncomfortable feeling something was loose. Now straight line is just like a rocket.
Daily in comfort is just very good, I grew tired of the comfort mode before, with 70k on the original OEM EDC, probably dead, it just didn't feel like a sport car anymore, more like a Merc to me. Will be tracking next week to see what happens in sport mode.
Anyways thumbs up big time.
      07-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #47
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZ3 View Post
I have to say that now I got the B16D installed the car is absolutely perfect. Puts down the power wonderfully, feels glued to the road, and feedback is unbelievable. Now I understand what I've read before many times about the 'car being on rails'. Recently got onto the highway, floored it on the ramp and it was just a missile. Before that and since I got the ESS kit I would get wobbling and uncomfortable feeling something was loose. Now straight line is just like a rocket.
Daily in comfort is just very good, I grew tired of the comfort mode before, with 70k on the original OEM EDC, probably dead, it just didn't feel like a sport car anymore, more like a Merc to me. Will be tracking next week to see what happens in sport mode.

I'm seriously considering this setup, thanks for the review and please do report back with your on-track experience!! BTW, do you have camber plates for the track, any other suspension/chassis related mods?
      07-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #48
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Awesome. Does it hook up perfectly to the OEM EDC controls in the centre console and the settings change like stock (ie. through M Drive, etc)?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #49
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6M3 View Post
Awesome. Does it hook up perfectly to the OEM EDC controls in the centre console and the settings change like stock (ie. through M Drive, etc)?
It does work with console and Mdrive. My installer mentioned he had to order some new cabling though but I didn't check why (old or compatibility) but it works like a charm.
      07-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #50
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post

I'm seriously considering this setup, thanks for the review and please do report back with your on-track experience!! BTW, do you have camber plates for the track, any other suspension/chassis related mods?
Too many cars in the 30min series at Le Mans Classic last weekend so I couldn't really push it a lot. Felt a lot better than before but I will need a real track day to test the limits. Will have to wait early September now
Note that Bilstein can provide stiff or very stiff springs at your choice. I ordered the more civilised ones so I can go up one notch if I feel the need.

Other mods:
H&R sway bar front only
Turner delrin rear subframe bushings
Vorshlag cp
Powerflex replacement to all suspension rubber bushings
Wheel weight balancing pushed the rear down and the front is almost stock
Attached Images

07-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #51
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Too many cars in the 30min series at Le Mans Classic last weekend so I couldn't really push it a lot. Felt a lot better than before but I will need a real track day to test the limits. Will have to wait early September now
Note that Bilstein can provide stiff or very stiff springs at your choice. I ordered the more civilised ones so I can go up one notch if I feel the need.

Other mods:
H&R sway bar front only
Vorshlag cp
Appreciate it, thanks! I had no idea on the spring choice from Bilstein, very interesting. Also, glad to hear the other mods are in place, I have many of the same and plans for some of the others. BTW, Vorshlag also knows what parts you need to switch these to linear springs if you decide that's what you want down the road. My thinking is to try the more comfy Bilstein progressive springs first since this is still my DD and then switch to linear if I end up keeping this car as a track car.

Keep us posted after your next track outing!
      07-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #52
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:

Other mods:
H&R sway bar front only
Vorshlag cp
Hi KRZ3,

I checked with Turner and they are unaware of the spring rate choice. Can you please share where you got this info from?

Am wondering if they are valved the same (shocks) with sleeved coilovers (B6 vs B16). In that case I'd get the rest of the parts for my B6 kit. Will call Bilstein Motorsport later today.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #53
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Hi KRZ3,

I checked with Turner and they are unaware of the spring rate choice. Can you please share where you got this info from?

Am wondering if they are valved the same (shocks) with sleeved coilovers (B6 vs B16). In that case I'd get the rest of the parts for my B6 kit. Will call Bilstein Motorsport later today.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Looking at the Bilstein catalog off of the main German website there is only one B16 Damptronics SKU for both the e92 m3 and the e92 m3 gts, must be a substitute spring kit, curious if there is a SKU for it separately or if this was a custom substitution.
      07-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #54
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Looking at the Bilstein catalog off of the main German website there is only one B16 Damptronics SKU for both the e92 m3 and the e92 m3 gts, must be a substitute spring kit, curious if there is a SKU for it separately or if this was a custom substitution.
There has to be a part or a different kit. Would not do a substitute without Bilstein supplying the part. Will wait to hear from Kraz3.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 01:41 AM   #55
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Let me talk to my dealer in Europe when I am back from California next week. I'll keep you posted.
      08-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #56
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Let me talk to my dealer in Europe when I am back from California next week. I'll keep you posted.
Any updates?
      09-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #57
mmbv1000
Banned
Rep
Drives: G35 Coupe

i don't believe there is a selection on spring rates on the b16's. spoke to a few vendors and none of them seemed to think so. Just purchased a set and will have them installed soon. super excited about this!!! currently have H&R sports. will post my thoughts once i've had some seat time!
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      09-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #58
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansin
i don't believe there is a selection on spring rates on the b16's. spoke to a few vendors and none of them seemed to think so. Just purchased a set and will have them installed soon. super excited about this!!! currently have H&R sports. will post my thoughts once i've had some seat time!
Thanks, I found the same. Curious to hear your thoughts. Plans to track with them?
      09-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #59
mmbv1000
Banned
Rep

Haven't really tracked before but trying to get into it. I will try to do 1 or 2 schools before the year is out with some sessions next year.... hopefully. From everything I've seen these should meet my needs for mostly street with some track use.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #60
mmbv1000
Banned
Rep

finally got these installed but haven't had much time in them - only about 15 miles. my initial impressions.... these are absolutely amazing! the car felt very different as soon as i got in. i mean this in the best way possible. it's hard for me to describe, but the car feels very planted now. every setting is better - comfort retains a nice ride and the stiffer settings get more aggressive, but retain dampening. the stiffest setting is probably not the best for bumpy roads, but that's to be expected (can't wait to get this on the track). the comfort setting takes bumps better and is far less bouncy than my H&R's and even the old oem's. this surprised me. i've had experience with kw's in my old e46 M3 and those were good, but not as much as an improvement as these. in my opinion, these are well worth the money if you want to retain the oe edc function and get a more improved ride over oe and aftermarket springs.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      10-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #61
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansin
finally got these installed but haven't had much time in them - only about 15 miles. my initial impressions.... these are absolutely amazing! the car felt very different as soon as i got in. i mean this in the best way possible. it's hard for me to describe, but the car feels very planted now. every setting is better - comfort retains a nice ride and the stiffer settings get more aggressive, but retain dampening. the stiffest setting is probably not the best for bumpy roads, but that's to be expected (can't wait to get this on the track). the comfort setting takes bumps better and is far less bouncy than my H&R's and even the old oem's. this surprised me. i've had experience with kw's in my old e46 M3 and those were good, but not as much as an improvement as these. in my opinion, these are well worth the money if you want to retain the oe edc function and get a more improved ride over oe and aftermarket springs.
Great to hear, I really can't wait to get these. Trying to stick to one mod per track outing and I am about to switch track tires to RE-71R's but these are up next!
      10-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #62
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Curious if the springs for this kit come with the plastic covers as shown in the below picture? I've heard they help reduce coil binding noises at slow speeds.

10-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #63
mmbv1000
Banned
Rep

i don't remember seeing those, but they could have been on... I just didn't get a good look at the kit before it was installed. That said, there isn't any noise... none at all on mine, even with the windows down. I recall on my KW's i could hear the compression and some squeaking here and there. None of that with this setup.

I wlll say, after several more miles, the kit certainly feels like a coilover system (vs just springs). It's very smooth at speed and does a really good job of absorbing bumps and dips on the road... everything is valved properly for spring rates and weight of the car. the whole car is planted in the corners and gives me the response i would expect to feel from an uncompromising sports car. when I use EDC, I can really feel the difference in settings now - this is very hard to explain, but it definitely feels tighter in the sport and sport+ modes.... it almost feels like the frame itself is stiffening - no joke - it's surreal.

all that said, at slower speeds the compression rate is tight even in comfort. for the vast majority of roads, it's great and totally manageable for a daily driver... even my wife and kids barely notice a difference from OEM in comfort. but it does have a little more bump than an OEM suspension that can be felt at lower speeds. i guess i notice it more b/c there is one stretch of road that i drive everyday that is relatively new and smooth, but has evenly spaced humps in it. as i drive over, around 40-50 mph, the car bumps in the front almost like i have oval shaped wheels... if that makes sense. when i was OEM, i felt it, but not as much as this. still, this is just one very specific piece of asphalt and even then it's still manageable (but i hope that gives some sense of how these feel). if nothing else, you know it's a true coilover with much more potential for hard driving while not being over bearing like a true track setup can be.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      10-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #64
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Exactly what I am looking for, appreciate the write-up, thanks!
      10-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #65
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Samsin- did everything needed to install come with the kit? All wiring/cabling to connect to the factory EDC?

These are on my wish list!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #66
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Curious to see how these compare with Ohlins R/T
Appreciate 0