BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #45
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

OP, if you bought the car from a dealer then maybe it is better you invest the time.

Take the car over, cold in the AM. Don't let them drive it warm. And go for a 20 minute drive with the foreman. You may get lucky and replicate the situation.

Investing a couple hours of your time may be needed at this point.

Also, if it does not happen, offer to leave the car for another cold start the following day. This will all show good faith on your part.

In the meantime, they may scan your car for codes that in combination show a fingerprint of the problem.

Patience in this situation and working with the dealer will solve the problem. I do not advise to work against the dealer. If you show up with a bad attitude you will probably fail to gain a repair.

The tranny seems to be failing.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #46
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M View Post
OP, if you bought the car from a dealer then maybe it is better you invest the time.

Take the car over, cold in the AM. Don't let them drive it warm. And go for a 20 minute drive with the foreman. You may get lucky and replicate the situation.

Investing a couple hours of your time may be needed at this point.

Also, if it does not happen, offer to leave the car for another cold start the following day. This will all show good faith on your part.

In the meantime, they may scan your car for codes that in combination show a fingerprint of the problem.

Patience in this situation and working with the dealer will solve the problem. I do not advise to work against the dealer. If you show up with a bad attitude you will probably fail to gain a repair.

The tranny seems to be failing.
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have a good relationship with the SA and he has been helpful in the past.
This event happened with the engine and trans at operational temp. after coming off a 4 mile cruise on the highway (I have my wife as a witness she thought a did something to the car by accident like bump the shifter). The 1st time this happened (see history) was about 1,5K miles ago when I had only one slam on a downshift to 2nd. Can there be hidden codes that may show up that don't display on the dash?
The car just turned over 20K miles and I have about 5 months left under warranty.
I've tried to reproduce the slamming by driving the exact route and took the car for an extended trip last night without any slamming. The only thing I can sometimes reproduce is a lag in 2nd gear when I go around a right hand corner in the D mode.
      08-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #47
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseM3 View Post
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have a good relationship with the SA and he has been helpful in the past.
This event happened with the engine and trans at operational temp. after coming off a 4 mile cruise on the highway (I have my wife as a witness she thought a did something to the car by accident like bump the shifter). The 1st time this happened (see history) was about 1,5K miles ago when I had only one slam on a downshift to 2nd. Can there be hidden codes that may show up that don't display on the dash?
The car just turned over 20K miles and I have about 5 months left under warranty.
I've tried to reproduce the slamming by driving the exact route and took the car for an extended trip last night without any slamming. The only thing I can sometimes reproduce is a lag in 2nd gear when I go around a right hand corner in the D mode.
When 5 months left under warranty...take it to your BMW/Dealer and let them test the car a lot, that's the only solution in your case !
When you get your car back, check everything , body...wheels ,scratches ect...even better is... take a lot of pics of your car with date/data , knowing that your car needs to stay at BMW and their reputation when damage... we all know !
Conclusion....
Don't resist and take it in ASAP ! I'm serious thinking that a DCT replacement is required in this case !
And sure i'm truly hoping that i'm wrong , so OP please keep us posted about this problem !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #48
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
When 5 months left under warranty...take it to your BMW/Dealer and let them test the car a lot, that's the only solution in your case !
When you get your car back, check everything , body...wheels ,scratches ect...even better is... take a lot of pics of your car with date/data , knowing that your car needs to stay at BMW and their reputation when damage... we all know !
Conclusion....
Don't resist and take it in ASAP ! I'm serious thinking that a DCT replacement is required in this case !
And sure i'm truly hoping that i'm wrong , so OP please keep us posted about this problem !
+1

Time to let your car spend some time at the dealer, until the issue or at least the slow turning issue is reproduced.

Also, the rear diff, and ECU should be checked.

Perhaps, the first step will be to reflash the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #49
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

That doesn't sound normal. I've only had the DCT slam when launching.

Also, drive in S!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #50
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3

Drive a SMG E46 M3 in S6, DCT feels like permanent whiskey dick in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #51
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Conclusion....
Got my car back from the dealer last night. Of course she didn't act up while they drove her . They searched their data base, checked for faults, checked for signs of damage and found nothing. Told them about the sluggishness when cold and the down shifting around right hand corners. they stated that it is "normal".
In any case the issue has been officially documented so if this happens again I may have some recourse down the line.
      08-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #52
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Got my car back from the dealer last night. Of course she didn't act up while they drove her . They searched their data base, checked for faults, checked for signs of damage and found nothing. Told them about the sluggishness when cold and the down shifting around right hand corners. they stated that it is "normal".
In any case the issue has been officially documented so if this happens again I may have some recourse down the line.
Typical !
Indeed, sometimes it's f@cking unbelievable !
Maybe it could be a good idea to put a GoPro cam in your car, and let it roll when the car is cold , and when it happens you can show them the problem ?
Also thanks for posting the update !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #53
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Typical !
Indeed, sometimes it's f@cking unbelievable !
Maybe it could be a good idea to put a GoPro cam in your car, and let it roll when the car is cold , and when it happens you can show them the problem ?
Also thanks for posting the update !
That may be a good idea, and just keep it running until I get the slamming next time.
      08-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #54
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
That may be a good idea, and just keep it running until I get the slamming next time.
Exactly !
Please update about your problem,i'm damn curious about this , because i've DCT too

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #55
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and reproduce the slam next time I'm out. it definitely didn't sound healthy!
Any suggestions on the DCT tune?
Why would you do that?
      08-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #56
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

I wouldn't reproduce it....just drive normally with the go pro in your car. Chances are, you're not gonna reproduce what you're looking for...you're gonna end up causing a different problem.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #57
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Why would you do that?
Ummm, to get BMW to fix it? OP now has to play the replication game.

Anywho. I am subscribed for outcome
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #58
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Ummm, to get BMW to fix it? OP now has to play the replication game.

Anywho. I am subscribed for outcome
Hoping and praying for a DCT issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #59
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Hoping and praying for a DCT issue?
Do I need to hope and pray?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #60
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do I need to hope and pray?
Yes, you do.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #61
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Yes, you do.
Buddy I don't think it's me who needs to hope and pray
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #62
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Buddy I don't think it's me who needs to hope and pray
I'm trading my car in on an F8x before the warranty expires. A 6MT one at that... :P

If you want to be worried about something breaking thats legit. It is a BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #63
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...8V595-9176.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...8V595-9176.pdf
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #64
ChrisF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3

'11 DCT with 42K miles. Mine does it too and I drive in shiftlogic mode 3 most of the time. Cannot be reproduced so I'm not going to the dealer. It's a waste of time. If it gets worse or becomes reproducable, maybe then. I had a similar problem with my S4 DSG (which I lemon'd due to this problem). I have come to believe that for 98% of people, DSG, DCT calibrations work perfectly fine. For the other 2%, our inputs are such that the freak out the software and cause shift confusion.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #65
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
It's your fault for not being WOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #66
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo View Post
Drive a SMG E46 M3 in S6, DCT feels like permanent whiskey dick in comparison.
What are you saying? The SMG shifts faster?
Appreciate 0