BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

07-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Streaming Audio Won't Play

I have an 08 M3 e92. My iphone plays streaming audio fine. When I connect it to the audio cable the streaming audio cuts out then then my ipod music takes over. All the other features such as my phone contacts, bluetooth and music display on my Nav screen. Any suggestions?
      07-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
It's cause once you connect it to the car, it automatically disconnects the bluetooth and switches over to the cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
So the steaming feed doesnt transmit trough the cable? Bluetooth isn't needed right?
      07-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

i know i have been able to play streaming music (pandora in my case) using the cable. I'm not much help though since I don't really remember how I did it. But it definitely is possible. (MY2011)
      07-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPDPRT View Post
So the steaming feed doesnt transmit trough the cable? Bluetooth isn't needed right?

No. Bluetooth is a form of wireless connectivity. For some funky reason our cars will not allow you to have anything pluged into the USB port IF you are trying to stream bluetooth music. The second you plug something into the USB port, the car deactivates the streaming MUSIC part of bluetooth and switches over to the USB/ipod mode. Its lame. Im not sure why BMW did that to us. We should be able to have bluetooth streaming AND something plugged into the USB port at the same time without it deactivating the BT streaming. So we can toggle between the two. But for some lame reason, we cant do that.

Sounds like you might be trying to use the USB port for charging your phone while streaming bluetooth? If so, it will do that every time. And you will have to go into your cars phone settings, and make sure the music part of your bluetooth connection is toggled back on (at least that's how it is for my 2011). Or use a cig lighter charger.

For me, the fix was to just remove all music from my iphone. Doing that allowed me to stream pandora AND put my iphone in the cradle without it switching over to ipod mode. Besides, ipod is out. Try slacker radio and download songs to your phone!

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
No. Bluetooth is a form of wireless connectivity. For some funky reason our cars will not allow you to have anything pluged into the USB port IF you are trying to stream bluetooth music. The second you plug something into the USB port, the car deactivates the streaming MUSIC part of bluetooth and switches over to the USB/ipod mode. Its lame. Im not sure why BMW did that to us. We should be able to have bluetooth streaming AND something plugged into the USB port at the same time without it deactivating the BT streaming. So we can toggle between the two. But for some lame reason, we cant do that.

Sounds like you might be trying to use the USB port for charging your phone while streaming bluetooth? If so, it will do that every time. And you will have to go into your cars phone settings, and make sure the music part of your bluetooth connection is toggled back on (at least that's how it is for my 2011). Or use a cig lighter charger.

For me, the fix was to just remove all music from my iphone. Doing that allowed me to stream pandora AND put my iphone in the cradle without it switching over to ipod mode. Besides, ipod is out. Try slacker radio and download songs to your phone!

Hope that helps.
No way....I'll definitely try that.
      07-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I have had a similar issue. I have not been able to stream music from the Sirius app when I dock my iphone into the cradle. For some reason the ipod player on my iphone takes over. I have found that if I start Pandora before I dock the phone, it will continue to stream from Pandora. I can then change my phone from Pandora to Sirius and it plays fine. Pretty weird. No need to remove all your songs from your iphone.
      07-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster
I have had a similar issue. I have not been able to stream music from the Sirius app when I dock my iphone into the cradle. For some reason the ipod player on my iphone takes over. I have found that if I start Pandora before I dock the phone, it will continue to stream from Pandora. I can then change my phone from Pandora to Sirius and it plays fine. Pretty weird. No need to remove all your songs from your iphone.
You're right. You don't have to remove the iPod music. But leaving music on it will force you to manually over ride ever time. That gets old.

But whatever works for you right? = )