BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

02-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Ohlin R/T vs BC Racing BR Coilovers

I am looking to upgrade my suspension from KW V3s to something new.

Here is a background about me and what I would like to o with my car

- I would like to run 5-7 track days in 2015.
- I am currently running 18x10 et25 Apex EC7 with 285/35/18 all around (Track Setup)
- DD setup is HRE R40 18x10 and 18x11 the front with the KW V3s were rubbing the coil.

Has anyone run both? Anyone provide me with some insight on both?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

everyone knows that the ohlins R/T is a great coilover out of the box, but a lot of people discredit the BC coilovers since its made in China and the brand itself. But the BC coilover I think is a great coilover for the money. My close friend working at Swift Spring USA is running a set of BC coils on his S2K with orginal Penske parks, revalved dampers and custom spring rate swift coilover springs and that shit flys at the track.
      02-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
everyone knows that the ohlins R/T is a great coilover out of the box, but a lot of people discredit the BC coilovers since its made in China and the brand itself. But the BC coilover I think is a great coilover for the money. My close friend working at Swift Spring USA is running a set of BC coils on his S2K with orginal Penske parks, revalved dampers and custom spring rate swift coilover springs and that shit flys at the track.
BC (Bor Chuan) coilovers are made in Taiwan, not China. I'd say the QC is better than Chinese-made suspension.

As for the quality... I had a set of BC Type BR coilovers on a previous car. They felt great when new but wear out fast. With track use, they'll last about 10k miles before the dampeners go to crap. They don't rebuild them so you'll need to buy new shocks.

I had a terrible time working with them on building my set. They advertise custom valving and spring rates... It's BS. They just change springs on the same shocks. They also refused warranty replacement because my shocks weren't leaking when I told them they were worn out. Shocks can be worn without showing leaking!

For street driving, I'd say they are ok but plan on frequent replacement if you drive on rough roads.
      02-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
BC (Bor Chuan) coilovers are made in Taiwan, not China. I'd say the QC is better than Chinese-made suspension.

As for the quality... I had a set of BC Type BR coilovers on a previous car. They felt great when new but wear out fast. With track use, they'll last about 10k miles before the dampeners go to crap. They don't rebuild them so you'll need to buy new shocks.

I had a terrible time working with them on building my set. They advertise custom valving and spring rates... It's BS. They just change springs on the same shocks. They also refused warranty replacement because my shocks weren't leaking when I told them they were worn out. Shocks can be worn without showing leaking!

For street driving, I'd say they are ok but plan on frequent replacement if you drive on rough roads.
interesting that is not what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
///Mvy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15M3 + 08GT3

IMO BCs would be a downgrade from your V3s. I've run BCs in the past, nothing special, but good for the price. Onlins are in a different league.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

You can't compare BC to Ohlins. Maybe compare BC to D2 or other ebay ones, like XYZ, but not BC to Ohlins as it's Apples to Oranges.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep

I missed the part of wanting to upgrade your KW V3s...

The V3 is easily 10x better than the BC coilovers. Why downgrade to cheaper BC coilovers? The BC might be slightly softer and more comfortable than the KW but that is hardly a reason to change. The durability of the KW is superior to BC. Also, BC is the manufacturer for Megan Racing coilovers... maybe some other no-name brands as well.

Ohlins are definitely top shelf coilovers. Great on track and comfortable for daily driving. Service interval is lower than for the KW - expect to service every 20-30k miles. I had the prior generation Ohlins DFV on my Evo in the past. Best coilovers I've ever used. I had to special order it from Japan - this was before Ohlins had US distribution.
      02-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

I agree I've had custom valved Ohlins DFV on my previous Evo and till this day has been one of the best suspension setups I've ever used. Great adjustment ranges, premier quality, amazing valving, good ride quality, and just amazing on the track.

The only drawback I see to the current DFV is they are a bit soft for all out tracking on the E92. They are perfect for there intended purpose as being a road and track coilover. They are comfortable on the street and can proven to be great on the track. It's quite easy to convert the front springs and get custom valving done if tracking becomes a bigger hobby.

I personally couldn't group them with anything less than Motons, KW Clubsport, DA TC Klines, JRZ, MCS Singles, etc.

Frankly, BC is junk, they are cheaply made, probably don't even have shock dyno's for them. They are for people that want to go low, tuck their tires, and don't care about performance. There is a reason they cost what they do. Any of the aforementioned coilovers are mostly $3k+ for a reason. They have proven history, quality, support, and actually know what they are selling.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #9
mills84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC TR/AG

Huge difference in price between the 2... Ohlins are the better damper by far. Instead of getting rid of your v3's why dont you just swap springs? Get a set of linear springs on there and your DD coil rubbing issue will be eliminated (maybe 5mm spacer) and it will perform better than a BC setup would on both street and track.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

BC is a price point product. Ohlins is much higher quality with performance and value in mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I missed the part of wanting to upgrade your KW V3s...

Ohlins are definitely top shelf coilovers. Great on track and comfortable for daily driving. Service interval is lower than for the KW - expect to service every 20-30k miles. I had the prior generation Ohlins DFV on my Evo in the past. Best coilovers I've ever used. I had to special order it from Japan - this was before Ohlins had US distribution.
Perhaps the latest DFV are more durable as 20-30k for a service is way lower than Ohlins advised me at Autosport 2015. More like 50k miles unless the car is tracked on a regular basis (>12 times per year) and kerbs attacked with ferocity.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Perhaps the latest DFV are more durable as 20-30k for a service is way lower than Ohlins advised me at Autosport 2015. More like 50k miles unless the car is tracked on a regular basis (>12 times per year) and kerbs attacked with ferocity.
It really depends on where you drive. Out here, the roads look like the surface of the moon. You'd swear you were driving off road in some areas.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ig-5748680.php
      04-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
RINTAXI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post

I didn't see Taiwanese product is better thank Chinese product in anyway.

6MT FTW
KW Clubsport / Apex ARC-8 / NT-01 / IPE / Sabelt GT-140 / GTS wing / GT4 lip / Challenge harness bar / IND cosmetic package / M performance steering wheel / Hawk DTC-70
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #14
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINTAXI View Post
I have no idea what you are saying...

Taiwanese does have better QC than China. Taiwan was the #1 manufacturer of computer products prior to China. The cost of living is higher and everything is much more well developed and modern than China. The reason everything is made in China now is because the cost of manufacturing in Taiwan is too expensive.

In terms of BC suspension, it is better than some Chinese products but no where close to the European or Japanese suspension products. They are targeting different markets of course.
      04-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #15
RINTAXI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RINTAXI View Post
I have no idea what you are saying...

Taiwanese does have better QC than China. Taiwan was the #1 manufacturer of computer products prior to China. The cost of living is higher and everything is much more well developed and modern than China. The reason everything is made in China now is because the cost of manufacturing in Taiwan is too expensive.

In terms of BC suspension, it is better than some Chinese products but no where close to the European or Japanese suspension products. They are targeting different markets of course.
Your view is completely biased. I bet you haven't visit Shanghai or other big cities in mainland China in recent years. Shanghai can beat Taipei easily if you have visited both cities. Stop living in the dream, people have to face the fact that mainland China is passing Taiwan so many ways.

I agree that Taiwan companies have better QC tho, like Foxconn. However, most of the high tech product in Taiwan, like jet fighter, missiles, were imported from USA.

6MT FTW
KW Clubsport / Apex ARC-8 / NT-01 / IPE / Sabelt GT-140 / GTS wing / GT4 lip / Challenge harness bar / IND cosmetic package / M performance steering wheel / Hawk DTC-70
Appreciate 0