BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

12-22-2007, 04:39 AM   #67
snoopy
Private
Rep
Drives: 350z touring

If you were to buy a gtr your getting a legendary car, an icon thats been looked up to for years, literally an automotive piece of art.

Bmw m3 is similiar except when you buy one its not the car thats a piece of art, yet the badge. The bmw badge symbolizes so much to so many different people whether it be success, heritage, lineage in racing world, Luxury sport vehicle, the car itself, in my own opinion, is not worth the 70k. Especially when you look around and see what else you can get for that money.

People will argue that it has a few lashings of leather and wood making it luxury, did bmw set out to make the m3 a comfy cooshy ride? No, its the m division people they set out to demolish other cars, to set a performance standard, and to make other cars quake in fear of bmw's m division heritage. But this time they failed. Cars like the gtr have always been pushing the bar up higher and higher, starting from back in the early 90's when nsx's would destroy porsches and ferraris, then it was when the r32 33 34 and the supra where able to stand their ground against cars double/triple/quadruple their value. Cars like these make super cars what they are today, Appreciate that the gtr is coming out instead of arguing that the m3 is better because It really isn't. You can argue all you want about it being just a nissan but then your just being an ignorant fan boi instead of a true car enthusiast. But be glad a couple years after the evo spec comes out the gtr will have pushed bmw to create something even more amazing that we'll all be able to witness within our lifetimes, i can only hope that i have the money to be able to buy it in the future.

I am on this site for a reason, i drive a nissan but i love bmw's. I haven't been able to get 335i's off my mind for the past month believe me, and i would pick bmw > nissan. A bit of a traitor maybe, but im just happy this godzilla of a car is here to whip all these other manufacturers into shape, and excited about whats coming in our future.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 04:43 AM   #68
snoopy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Yeah they will quickly introduce turbo-charging if sale figures for the M3 drop...

Only so much the naturally aspirated purists can do...
if they do turbo an m3, should be coming around the time the evo spec comes out. That should be fun to watch =]
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 04:48 AM   #69
snoopy
Private
Rep

Why must people bring looks into the debate? looks are subjective to each individual and we all have our own opinions on certain cars. We're lucky to have such a vast diverse automotive smorgesboard to choose a vehicle from. I mean manufacturers like chrysler and pontiac are still around for heavens sake someones buying them. And coming back to bmw's, not trying to start any hate or drama, but when i see the 335i sedan i sort of scream and cry in my head " WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE THAT OVER THE COUPE " i mean its a great car but dude come onnnnnnn look at the coupe! makes me want to cry inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 05:03 AM   #70
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
Dude, relax.

Since when is the GT-R an entry level luxury sports coupe? Since when does Nissan make "luxury" cars? Thats what Infiniti is for.

If the GT-R is competing with the M3, then the M3 is competing with the Z06, right? Wrong.
Why would the GT-R 4 seater compete with the Z06 2 seater more then an M3 would compete with the GT-R? Because of the 'luxury'? Heck, I can't even name one luxury thing other then extended leather (which the not so luxurious Z06 even has) that the M3 has over the GT-R.

Obviously your views on cross shopping are horribly wrong. Either that or your just another badge whore. Badges don't classify the cars, features do.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #71
vAnt826
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
I like how a majority of the "OMG Nissan so FAAASSSTTTT" and "Nissan 0-60 this, HP that, blah blah" are non-BMW owners. See OP and first responder. Straight up calling you guys out, dont start a thread bashing the badge on a BMW forum when you dont own one in the first place. If you want to go to S2ki and post something like that be my guest.

If horsepower and pure 0-60 numbers were all BMW drivers cared about then for the same price we could buy an Evo/Sti and mod the crap out of it and run 9's right? We choose the cars we drive for a reason and thats to be arrogant sons of b*tches take it or leave it.

Also this WHOLE argument is identical to the Evo/Sti vs. BMW 3-Series vs. G35 argument. They are two DIFFERENT classes of cars. You drive a BMW and you drive a Nissan at the end of the day that's that, there is no arguing about that. Speed, horsepower, track domination thats all great; but, in the end it's apples and oranges. The E30/E36/E46 M3 have ALL been ICONs in the automotive scene for years and I dont see the E92/E90 M3 being any different.

My 0.02

The E30/E36/E46 were cars that dominated their time. The E92 is another story.

I'm a fan of the E36, and even bigger fan of the E46 (having one in the household). But I can't say the same for the E92. The M3 has never seen so many problems with it's market. First of all, the 335i can actually out accelerate it with a simple chip (never had that problem in 330s!), the C63 came out the same year (usually AMG has to wait a couple of years to fight the M3), the RS4 has been praised for its ability to fight off the new M3, reviews have been less then happy, and now the GT-R to take away all those hardcore "I like M3s because it's raw, trackable, and daily drivable" fans?

It's GG for M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 05:26 AM   #72
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Definitely some VERY good discussion going on in this thread. I praise everyone that is giving constructive criticism and of course especially those that agree with me.

To ojungoon if you told someone you drove a Civic and you told someone you drive a E90 their view on you will be entirely different. Believe what you want, the stereotype is out there, I'm just saying if its there, might as well go with it. Trying to change stereotypes has never helped before in other cases, this isn't any different.

The actuality in it all is there will always be "that faster car" and personally I think that car companies should be aiming for, at least in the class of road cars, better handling, more advanced cars rather then simply adding bigger, more force fed engines. IMO the HP craze needs to end somewhere, and it doesn't seem like it is going to anytime soon, if the time comes when production road cars hit 600+ HP from the factory we're all doomed.

Think about how many people that buy powerful cars actually buy them to utilize their "track power, performance aspects, etc." Sure there are enthusiast out there but there are plenty of terrible drivers driving ridiculously fast cars and often times ending up in accidents (celebrities for one) I think there needs to be a cap at some point before we all kill ourselves with force induced V10s all over the street.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #73
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

if only it looked as good as it performed..............*sigh*

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 08:02 AM   #74
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
if only it looked as good as it performed..............*sigh*
seriously...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #75
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zareh123 View Post
oh god!
+2

...Oh God! @ this thread
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #76
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
whatever maaaan... i got a '89 Honda CXR in da back that will WHOOP that Gt-r's face off... its got racing stickers and everything

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #77
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
At least the new M3 has a manual transmission ... I don't know wtf nissan is thinking with only offering paddles.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #78
vAnt826
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
At least the new M3 has a manual transmission ... I don't know wtf nissan is thinking with only offering paddles.
It's thinking 0-60 in less then 3.5 every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #79
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
It's thinking 0-60 in less then 3.5 every time.
I don't care if it does it in half of a second... its not nearly as enjoyable to drive. Let the car be a two tenths of a second slower, I could care less since I enjoy driving my cars instead of playing I have a bigger d*ck than you because my car is a tenth of a second faster.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #80
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
Why would the GT-R 4 seater compete with the Z06 2 seater more then an M3 would compete with the GT-R? Because of the 'luxury'? Heck, I can't even name one luxury thing other then extended leather (which the not so luxurious Z06 even has) that the M3 has over the GT-R.

Obviously your views on cross shopping are horribly wrong. Either that or your just another badge whore. Badges don't classify the cars, features do.
THen maybe your E92 should compete with the GT-R because it has 4 seats? You don't make any sense, man.

Cars don't always compete according to how many doors they have or how many seats.

GT-R is a japanese supercar, while M3 was not designed to be a supercar. Thats why they don't compete. They also have different hp 420 vs 550.

And stop with the fucking personal attacks and name calling just because other people have different opinions.
      12-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #81
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
and is lighting fast through the cones............
Did anyone else notice how unstable the GT-R looks through the cones?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 12:17 AM   #82
ojungoon
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

[QUOTE=BimmerZealot;1859110]Definitely some VERY good discussion going on in this thread. I praise everyone that is giving constructive criticism and of course especially those that agree with me.

To ojungoon if you told someone you drove a Civic and you told someone you drive a E90 their view on you will be entirely different. Believe what you want, the stereotype is out there, I'm just saying if its there, might as well go with it. Trying to change stereotypes has never helped before in other cases, this isn't any different.

That I won't disagree with you, since that was one of the reason i bought a 335i over a G37. Stereotypes do exist!!!
There's nothing wrong with that...

However, I cant stand people who hate on cars just because they are Japanese (+70,000) or an American etc...
How can you write s*** like that and say,
"Hey I'm a car enthusiast so I drive a BMW"
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 01:26 AM   #83
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

I dont hate on cars just because they are Japanese. In fact I actually really like and wouldn't mind driving any of the Japanese tuner cars; Supra, Evo/Sti, S2K, etc. I actually almost got a Evo IX MR when I sold my E46
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 01:35 AM   #84
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
stop the ridiculousness. BMW had nothing to do with GT-R in its life.. never competed against it, and probably never will.....
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 02:54 AM   #85
vAnt826
Major
Rep

Quote:
THen maybe your E92 should compete with the GT-R because it has 4 seats? You don't make any sense, man.

Cars don't always compete according to how many doors they have or how many seats.

GT-R is a japanese supercar, while M3 was not designed to be a supercar. Thats why they don't compete. They also have different hp 420 vs 550.

And stop with the fucking personal attacks and name calling just because other people have different opinions.
No actually I don't understand you.

I don't compare cars with two seats with cars that have four seats. I also don't compare cars with two doors to cars with four doors. If we did, there would be no E92/E90. We compare cars via price/features/performance. In your example, we don't compare the 335i to the GT-R because of the price range.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #86
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

So.. what you are saying is the M3 only competes with similarly priced/spec'd performance cars that it can beat right? I definitely see these cars as competitors. The reason being the price is about the same, and they are both made to be performance versions of lower competing vehicle (G37 vs. 335i). I know you are going to say that the GT-R has nothing to do with the G37 but if we go to Japan we see the G37 is a Nissan Skyline and the GT-R is a Nissan Skyline GT-R.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #87
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #88
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
...I know you are going to say that the GT-R has nothing to do with the G37 but if we go to Japan we see the G37 is a Nissan Skyline and the GT-R is a Nissan Skyline GT-R.
Does this still hold true? I know that all of the previous generations of GT-R's were based off of Skyline's (like an M3 version of a 3'er or an Evolution version of a Lancer, etc), and I know that the G35/G37 is called a Skyline in Japan, but I thought that the new GT-R was built off of its own chassis and was no longer built on the same platform as the G35/skyline.

Appreciate 0