BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Favorite car ~$100k?
Audi R8 49 25.79%
BMW M6 10 5.26%
Chevy Corvette ZR1 23 12.11%
Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR 9 4.74%
Porsche 911 GT3 99 52.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

02-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #45
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Ok.. let me make this clear... ~$100k mark. Don't worry about the taxes, dealer mark up, etc... just pick the damn car that you would get in the range.. If you have the money to buy a ~$100k car, then I don't think you'd be trippin over 5-10 thousand more.. I could be wrong though.

I should have made more cars... I.e like somepeople have mentioned Aston Martin V8 Vantage, M5.. o wells. just pick from above
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #46
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

None of those cars can be bought for $100k......

gotta be a joke.........
      02-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #47
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
+1
Why did you decide to quote yourself? lol
      02-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #48
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

why is the dodge there?

i mean...

why did people vote for the viper?

forget about the ZR1. i'll pick a C6 over that viper...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:36 AM   #49
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Personally, I'd pick the ZR1 over the Viper ACR, but it's supposed to be a killer.. well just wait and see how it performs on the track..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:54 AM   #50
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

From the list, The R8, with the GT3 being a very close 2nd.
I'd probably buy an E63 (AMG), though.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #51
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnies View Post
From the list, The R8, with the GT3 being a very close 2nd.
I'd probably buy an E63 (AMG), though.
the Zr1 would whip the R8 like a bitch...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #52
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
the Zr1 would whip the R8 like a bitch...
I really don't care. I'm tired of all the ZR-1 is baddass, blah blah blah. I don't care if it's faster in a straight line, or even if they made it faster around corners. I like what I like, and track speed is not the deciding factor on the cars I like and would purchase. If it is for others, so be it. Like I said, I don't care. The R8 is plenty good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 03:13 AM   #53
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnies View Post
I really don't care. I'm tired of all the ZR-1 is baddass, blah blah blah. I don't care if it's faster in a straight line, or even if they made it faster around corners. I like what I like, and track speed is not the deciding factor on the cars I like and would purchase. If it is for others, so be it. Like I said, I don't care. The R8 is plenty good enough for me.
well said

id go for the 911 though, i just love that car
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #54
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

judging by the results of the poll thus far, it appears that most participants are truly interested in pure performance, and are letting things like luxury, gobs of power/torque, and straight line speed go by the wayside. don't worry, i feel the same way...+1 for the GT3.
      02-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #55
chrisM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Red E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
wow there are a lot of gt3 lovers here lol, I'd rather take the gt2 though.
+1 I like the spoiler alot better.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #56
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Of those, i'd pick the GT3, but since you're not getting any of those for $100k, i'd pick a 911 C2S

The R8 and the ZR1 are tied for a respectable second. I'm a fan of both
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #57
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Socrates View Post
The poll certainly does not reflect that.

The ZR-1 out performs the GT3. Heck, the Z06 outperforms the GT3 on the track as well.

Car & Driver documented this a while ago:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ature/(page)/1

Z06 Lap Time - 2:58.2 (the only car to complete the lightening lap in LESS than 3 minutes)

GT3 - 3:01.8

It's not even a contest when it comes to which car is the best performer in the above list.
but some people prefers the slower car, i still don't understand why no matter how they try to explain to me

it's like saying they want a corolla instead of a M3...because the corolla is ENOUGH
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #58
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
...did you seriously just quote yourself. lmao
yea haha, im telling you man....its all about that e60 M5. I know, i know....im crazy

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #59
edl
In the slow lane
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT, 01 M5, 11 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
The 360 Modena looks better than all the cars in the poll.

I could care less who's the fastest. Hey, knock yourself out, speed away. My feelings wouldn't be hurt the slightest.

I would go with a slightly used black or dark grey Lamborghini Gallardo ftw.
Yep, 360 or Gallardo would be my choice too. I still like my brother's 360 much more than any other car I've ever had the opportunity to drive. It's not fast, but an amazing drive nontheless.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #60
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
Quote:
The poll certainly does not reflect that.

The ZR-1 out performs the GT3. Heck, the Z06 outperforms the GT3 on the track as well.

Car & Driver documented this a while ago:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ature/(page)/1

Z06 Lap Time - 2:58.2 (the only car to complete the lightening lap in LESS than 3 minutes)

GT3 - 3:01.8

It's not even a contest when it comes to which car is the best performer in the above list.
but some people prefers the slower car, i still don't understand why no matter how they try to explain to me

it's like saying they want a corolla instead of a M3...because the corolla is ENOUGH
he is correct in that the ZR1 did turn the faster lap time...and i suppose fastest lap is what defines the best performer in this test. how much heed you give to a C&D test i'll leave up to you

...i did not however think i would have to make reference to the fact that we're inherently comparing apples and oranges here. if we could somehow eliminate the ungodly power/torque advantage of the ZR1, or at least reduce it to the point where we could say with some confidence that the power & torque bands aren't the biggest factors attributed to the ZR1's better lap time, then we would be way closer to an apples to apples comparison and, on that level playing field, see if the Vette can make up time in the corners, not just the straights - alas, no such comparison exists, nor ever will because the difference in their power/torque will always be what it is now. and so while i can't say that it was definitely the power/torque advantage and the time it made up on the straights that led to the ZR1's better lap time, nobody can disprove the theory either based on this review, courtesy of C&D's of insufficiently detailed data logging - C&D doesn't give detailed enough data to tell who's going faster on different parts of the track. sure they talk a bit about sector times, but they don't even show a map of the test track (VIR), let alone one broken down into sectors. and even sector times are not specific enough to say outright that one car is better in the corners than another. if you want to assume that the ZR1 is the better performing car based on one lap time on one specific layout of VIR (the largest layout), be my guest. that particular layout may have longer/more numerous straights and wide sweeping turns (and hence favor a car with fat power/torque bands that start at low rpms) than a smaller VIR layout, or just a smaller circuit altogether.

Quote:
The ZR-1 out performs the GT3. Heck, the Z06 outperforms the GT3 on some track as well.
i think that's a bit more accurate. to assume that, because one car outperformed another in one automotive review, it will do the same in all instances is a bit ignorant, don't you think? again, its a C&D review...take it with a grain of salt
      02-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #61
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
For me, that's a no brainer. 997 GT3 hands down. I want that car so badly!

For me, there is more to a car than a 1 second difference around a track because I'm not delusional and I realize that I couldn't push any of the cars in that price range to their absolute limit.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #62
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Neither could I (in fact I refuse to because I care about my physical health), but facts are facts; the ZR-1 is beyond any of the other cars on that list in terms of performance.
I never claimed that one car was better than another in terms of performance and straight stats. Forget about the ZR1, the "regular" Z06 craps on just about everything for way less money, but that still doesn't mean that the other cars that compete with it can't offer a different driving experience. Since I don't have the skill to do what a professional race car driver can, the #'s aren't everything. For me, the GT3 is everything that I want in a car. Is it the best bang for a buck? Nope, but it offers a different driving experience than a Z06 or a ZR1, and for me, its one that I prefer (granted I've obviously never driven a ZR1 before so that is a bold statement to make, but I think I can get a good idea of what it is like based on a Z06). Both are great cars though, and for the price a C6 corvette's performance is hard to beat in all of their variants.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #63
BMWGator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Give me the GT3 any day over those other cars...100 times out of 100. That was easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #64
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
Used Ferrari 360 Modena

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #65
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

6 series soooo fugly...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #66
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Besides, C&D's credentials are a lot better than some random cry baby on the internet who owns a 14 year old Supra.
well there goes your credibility on these boards . looks like i inadvertently figured out how to push a Vette owner's buttons. had you simply stuck to "correcting" me and not make it personal, you might have avoided showing all of us the definition of immature...

Quote:
First off it wasn't the ZR1 that turned in a faster lap time, it was the Z06. It's a bit ignorant to reference the wrong car and then write an argument based on that, wouldn't you say.
yes, i would...and i stand corrected. luckily for me, if you insert a "Z06" everywhere i mistakenly used "ZR1," and the argument still holds the same.

Quote:
The fact is C&D attempted to do an "overall" performance test so they took into account that some cars may have an HP or Torque advantage but not a handling advantage. It was something they considered. I don't understand why you're dissing C&D to try and prove your incorrect point, there really is no need and it makes you sound immature.
you're pretty good at putting words in people's mouths...

i never said C&D didn't take the HP/TQ advantages into account - i DID say that, as much as they try to take it into account and minimize it, they cannot get rid of it, and they therefore cannot have an apples to apples comparison as hard as they might try.

i also didn't diss C&D - i said take their test results with a grain of salt...and i don't mean "don't always believe what you see"...after all, we did see the Vette win this competition and it wasn't an illusion. what i do mean is don't assume that b/c one test yields specific results that all other tests to follow (or even a majority of them) will yield the same results.

and i'm certainly not dissing C&D to try to prove an incorrect point. like i said before, i jumped the gun and said that the majority seems to be voting for the best performer, which was a poor choice of words seeing as how the Z06 was actually the best performer. what i meant to say is that it seems people are voting for the best handling/induced feedback/driver involved car. you obviously completely missed the concession in my last response that you were correct that the Z06 turned the fastest lap, which did in turn crown it the best performer in this particular review.

Quote:
The Z06 was clearly the better peformer on this track than the GT3 by a few seconds. Live with it, or don't. Don't cry to the messenger.
don't worry...i haven't taken up issues with C&D . i'm perfectly content with their test results. and i'm perfectly content with the fact that C&D is one of many sources of automotive performance testing that will yield one of many results, only some of which the Z06 will come out the victor.

i am by no means a diehard Porsche fanboy AND a Vette hater. in fact i love both. and my vote for the Porsche certainly does not mean i hate the Vette. opinions are like assholes - everybody's got 'em, and everyone is going to voice his/her opinion whether you like it or not. so YOU live with it...or don't. if you'd like to make predictions on future tests and comparisons based on this one, that's perfectly fine. but if you want to just flat-out assume that, b/c the Vette dominated at one track, it will do the same almost everywhere else, then by all means go ahead...that's your prerogative.