BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

02-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Looking at 2009 CPO M3's

I've been looking at 09 M3's, since this will be my first used car I want a CPO for piece of mind.

Maybe it is my timing but autotrader only shows 13 cars in the U.S. under 45,000 miles and all are $50k-$60k. That just feels a bit high for a 3 year old car but maybe that is spot on, what do you all think?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
nastynogales
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 Convertible E93

Considering that I bought mine for 42400 before taxes that's about right - though you'll need to haggle the price down to below 50 to make it worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynogales View Post
Considering that I bought mine for 42400 before taxes that's about right - though you'll need to haggle the price down to below 50 to make it worth it
yes but yours is a cab..that in itself seems to be a 5K difference at least
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

Is there any way to estimate what a dealer paid BMWFS for a lease return? I’d like to get a general idea as to how much wiggle room there should be on a CPO car. I know it costs roughly $2k give or take to CPO a car depending on brake wear/tire wear and so forth. But how do you determine the residual or “bid” the dealer made to buy it back from BMWFS?

Obviously there is no certain way to determine how much profit they are making at a listed price but I’m just trying to ballpark it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Is there any way to estimate what a dealer paid BMWFS for a lease return? I’d like to get a general idea as to how much wiggle room there should be on a CPO car. I know it costs roughly $2k give or take to CPO a car depending on brake wear/tire wear and so forth. But how do you determine the residual or “bid” the dealer made to buy it back from BMWFS?

Obviously there is no certain way to determine how much profit they are making at a listed price but I’m just trying to ballpark it.
Sometimes after the shop bill and CPO warranty price - the profit is under $1,000.
      03-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Last year at the same date I bought my 08 e92 M3 with EDC , GPS , 19 inchs and extended lethear , with 17k miles and still under warranty til august 2012 , I pay'd 45500$ before taxes !
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

Well what I’m trying to figure is say they are asking $50,000 for a car, did they get it for $40k, $45k, should I find out what the Manheim price is and figure $3k-$4k above that for CPO?

The one I’m looking at was a lease return that was leased from that dealership and returned there. So the dealer must have paid it off to BMWFS, CPO’d it and is offering it for sale.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

Spoke to the dealer today and he is quoting me $2,900 to CPO then adding in new tires, alignment, yada, yada total is just over $6,000 to make it ready for sale. So if the wear and tear items are extra what does the $2,900 CPOing go towards?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Spoke to the dealer today and he is quoting me $2,900 to CPO then adding in new tires, alignment, yada, yada total is just over $6,000 to make it ready for sale. So if the wear and tear items are extra what does the $2,900 CPOing go towards?
BMW charges us an arm and leg for that CPO warranty. It is well worth it. The M Brand goes through more stringent CPO qualifications than a regular BMW. Everything is checked, I mean EVERYTHING.
      03-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfiend View Post
BMW charges us an arm and leg for that CPO warranty. It is well worth it. The M Brand goes through more stringent CPO qualifications than a regular BMW. Everything is checked, I mean EVERYTHING.
When I got my 08 E90 last November, the CPO checklist was 6 pages long...yes, they check everything.

The CPO has since paid itself twice over, as the car developed the clicking diff and a misfire, which was caused by a cracked valve spring. ~$10,000 of repairs, for the low price of $50.
      03-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Look harder....

I would be less concerned about finding a CPO as I would finding the right car for you that has a good history. CPO cars will demand a premium mainly because they are sold at BMW dealership, not necessarily because they have CPO obviously this adds a premium though. A solid PPI would check the same type of thing the BMW dealership will check for CPO, you can always buy an extended warranty later. There are deals to be had out there, just have to look very hard. I was in the market for a while, and was tempted to "settle" because of a deal. Very glad I didn't. I think 09's with lower milage are not worth 50k+.

There is a very nice e90 for sale at enthusiast auto that is well below kbb. May not be the right one for you, but to me it signals that the market is dropping faster than many would like to admit. It does not have CPO, but like I said I wouldn't base my decision on whether is has a CPO in this market.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

I’ve already seen the service history on the car I’m looking at and it looks good, the mileage is higher than I’d like but not a big deal and I’d prefer a sedan just because I have kids. Otherwise it’s fully loaded and the colors are satisfactory if not a top pick.

I guess I’ll just work with the numbers with them and see what happens, it’s not like I need a car as mine is only 3.5 years old.

This is my first luxury purchase and first used purchase so it’s going to need to be a CPO. I’ve heard too many stories about extended warranty claims being denied to go that route right now. If this turns out to be a good experience I may investigate other options for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I’ve already seen the service history on the car I’m looking at and it looks good, the mileage is higher than I’d like but not a big deal and I’d prefer a sedan just because I have kids. Otherwise it’s fully loaded and the colors are satisfactory if not a top pick.

I guess I’ll just work with the numbers with them and see what happens, it’s not like I need a car as mine is only 3.5 years old.

This is my first luxury purchase and first used purchase so it’s going to need to be a CPO. I’ve heard too many stories about extended warranty claims being denied to go that route right now. If this turns out to be a good experience I may investigate other options for my next car.
You can buy an extended warranty through BMW after the fact, just fyi if you didn't know. They offer different levels of coverage. It is a good idea to have it and offers peace of mind. If you buy one that is still under warranty you can wait until the car is about to hit 50k, or end warranty coverage to talk about an extended warranty. I also believe Ryan Amico (forum member) can hook up better deals on these extended warranties.

Obviously you are looking at a solid CPO car and if you like it go for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
nasa60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
You can buy an extended warranty through BMW after the fact, just fyi if you didn't know. They offer different levels of coverage. It is a good idea to have it and offers peace of mind. If you buy one that is still under warranty you can wait until the car is about to hit 50k, or end warranty coverage to talk about an extended warranty. I also believe Ryan Amico (forum member) can hook up better deals on these extended warranties.

Obviously you are looking at a solid CPO car and if you like it go for it.
A guy told me he purchased the EVP 7yr/70k Platinum Plus warranty from BMW. MSRP cost is $5870. Personally, I wouldn't pay almost $6k for an extra 3 years of warranty. I'll take my chances.
      03-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
JDM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

I bought my CPO 09 loaded/DCT last October for 51k with 18k miles.
Quote:
I've been looking at 09 M3's, since this will be my first used car I want a CPO for piece of mind.

Maybe it is my timing but autotrader only shows 13 cars in the U.S. under 45,000 miles and all are $50k-$60k. That just feels a bit high for a 3 year old car but maybe that is spot on, what do you all think?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa60 View Post
A guy told me he purchased the EVP 7yr/70k Platinum Plus warranty from BMW. MSRP cost is $5870. Personally, I wouldn't pay almost $6k for an extra 3 years of warranty. I'll take my chances.
I believe this is the top of the line warranty they offer, which includes maintenance. Doesn't matter whether you or I think that it is worth 6k or whatever it may be for your selected level of service. Obviously the OP wants some extra peace of mind with CPO. I think if he's looking at 09 CPO's with high miles for ~$55k. there are other options.

Example:

$50k for a 2010 with 13k miles, put the extra $4-5k you save in a savings account. In 2.5 years when the warranty is about to run out, decide how you want to spend that money you saved/accrued. See beautiful $50k 2010 with 13k miles from a very well respected dealer below:

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51

If I hadn't bought a 1m a few weeks ago, I would have this e90....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

Well we can't come to agreement on numbers so I'll keep looking. Wasn't planning on buying until next year anyway but you know how that goes.

Getting an extended warranty from BMW instead of a CPO sounds like a good option, I'll search on that.
Appreciate 0