BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #111
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I don't hear any sound in the video, I would have loved to have heard what the gearbox was doing at the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #112
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I don't hear any sound in the video, I would have loved to have heard what the gearbox was doing at the time.
I slowed the video down from 30fps to 5 so the gear changes were easier to see. That made it impossible to include the audio.
      07-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #113
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Quick video clip extracted from my camera showing the car jumping from 3->7->6

~256k
http://www.alternaterealities.info/video/r4s.wmv

As far as I can tell from the video and my recall of driving I didn't pull either paddle to make these shifts happen.

[sorry for the poor quallity, the video is clipped from a full frame]

That's effed up.
      07-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #114
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
enigma,

If you car doesn't show any fault codes then I am more concerned than if it did, at least then we know the system recognises there is a problem. If it doesn't then when else could something similar strike, maybe on an important overtake on a public road.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #115
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:
Quick video clip extracted from my camera showing the car jumping from 3->7->6

~256k
http://www.alternaterealities.info/video/r4s.wmv

As far as I can tell from the video and my recall of driving I didn't pull either paddle to make these shifts happen.

[sorry for the poor quallity, the video is clipped from a full frame]
yikes! I hope that the rumored upcoming software update will fix dct.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #116
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 2012, M4 GTS Sold

Reporting the Downshift problem

Those of you who have experienced a downshift problem, either on the street or on the track, PLEASE tell you service adviser about the problem. Ask them to send the concern up hill to BMW. My dealer did not want to take or make a report to BMW because they not had any other cars with this problem. I had originally told them about this over a month ago, with no reply. If you have experienced this problem then you know that it is a SAFETY ISSUE and should be stated as such to the dealer and to BMW at 800-837-1117. This is the only way this problem is going to be resolved. It can be duplicated on the street with straight line braking with the service rep in the pass seat (done with 2 different ones). Don't be dissuaded from having them file a PUMA on the problem.

If you post on other boards, please pass this along to other M3 DCT drivers that may be having the same problem.

Those of you who have been to BMW Club Driving School days beware. My dealer was not too happy about replacing pads and rotors at under 6k miles or that I had changed the wheel bolts out for studs or that the tires were a little melted. And told me that I must have been racing the car. They were not even going to discuss the downshift problem because of the above. They went above and beyond by changing the rotors and pads as a courtesy gesture for which I am very apperciative. But I still had to press the shifting issue as a safety concern before they would even discuss it.

BTW the car phoned home and said it need brakes (no joke), the day after I had already asked for an appointment to discuss the downshift problem.

Speculation by those of you who have not experienced the problem is of little help, and especially the speculation from those of you who have never even ridden in one of these cars is of little value to the solution.
I know, all I need to do is change my wax.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #117
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksM View Post
Those of you who have been to BMW Club Driving School days beware. My dealer was not too happy about replacing pads and rotors at under 6k miles or that I had changed the wheel bolts out for studs or that the tires were a little melted. And told me that I must have been racing the car. They were not even going to discuss the downshift problem because of the above. They went above and beyond by changing the rotors and pads as a courtesy gesture for which I am very apperciative. But I still had to press the shifting issue as a safety concern before they would even discuss it.
My SA is fine with me pushing the car in BMW CCA events as long as I am not racing it and keeping the car stock. The only exception in the manual is competition and timed events I think. Since BMW CCA events are officially driving schools, are not timed, and therefore, are not competitive events, I don't think they have any legal basis for denying service. But I plan to keep the car stock regardless so that there won't be any ifs and buts. Having said that, I don't think they will keep on doing pads/rotors indefinitely, and I can see how service at 6k raises questions on a non-stock car.

Last edited by lucid; 07-26-2008 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #118
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
My SA is fine with me pushing the car in BMW CCA events as long as I am not racing it and keeping the car stock.
Same here, however, I would never ask them to replace brake pads or other consumables you wore out in such a fashion. Thats really abuse of the system. Treat them well and you are less likely to have an issue if something breaks.
      07-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #119
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
No_Country
Rep

My car is 100% stock except for tires/ wheels. I do not ever again intend to bother them with any other brake repairs or replacements. But other items on the car are theirs. This is a performance car. It should be at least as good as a ZO6 or a 911 or a EVO anything.
The Transmission should work, the cooling should work, the engine should work, and the rear end should work. Then other stuff is just fluff for around town. I was not charged extra for the orange peel so I will not complain. But I expect ALL the mechanical things to work. This is after all a M-Car that I paid a lot of extra money for to work in the way it was intended and advertised. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against BMW or the dealer. They have always been helpful and responsive to any problems that I may have had, Large or small. My whole idea is that this should be a informational thread not a bash M-DCT or 6MT or BMW or each other. I come here information and exchange not game playing. I also have to remember that the new breed of BMW owners is more concerned with 20 inch wagon wheels and shinny wax in the parking lot and not concerned about real performance.

Sorry lucid this was not direct at you. It just takes a lot of reading to get to facts.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #120
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Those of you who have experienced a downshift problem, either on the street or on the track, PLEASE tell you service adviser about the problem.
I have done this, they were unable to fix it (expected), but did forward the problem report.
      07-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #121
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

as far as tracking the car the Owners Manual says that if you are going to track the car- then take a high performace driving school first. it also says consult your SA re track pads.
      07-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #122
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry lucid this was not direct at you. It just takes a lot of reading to get to facts.
I hear you. It does take time to work through these threads to get to the relevant info. I am interested in seeing how/if/when these DCT issues will be resolved as I am planning to move to a dual clutch system in 2-3 years.
      07-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #123
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same here, however, I would never ask them to replace brake pads or other consumables you wore out in such a fashion. Thats really abuse of the system. Treat them well and you are less likely to have an issue if something breaks.
Yes, there needs to be balance there. I won't be tracking this car more than 3 days a year or so. IMO, it is reasonable to expect that to be folded into the service plan since the car is designed to perform. It's not a track car, but it's not designed for cruising either. If I were to track it more, I would have reservations. So, I am looking around for a dedicated track car that I can really beat up on without worrying about this kind of stuff.
      07-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #124
bmwwr250f
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 m3

Quote:
It can be duplicated on the street with straight line braking with the service rep in the pass seat (done with 2 different ones). Don't be dissuaded from having them file a PUMA on the problem.
MarkM can you tell me what speed you are able to reproduce this condition? How hard are you on the brakes? How do you have your MDCT settings set? and anything else you can think of that might be contributing factor to this issue.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #125
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
No_Country
Rep

80 mph+ M settings DTC off, Sport plus, S6-5-4, 5 gear Power SW on or off. Brake HARD just this side of ABS. If you don't know where ABS is find it first. May take a couple of attempts to find the brake pressure to do it. But once you find it, it becomes easy. Tranny seems to work well when the system is cool, but once everything heats up a bit== No Workey (technical term). Please don't try this when there is any traffic around, or when going into a corner.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #126
bmwwr250f
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for this information. This will be forwarded to the powers to be. I am interested in this situation that is occurring. I understand this could be an issue for those that use the vehicle as intended. It is hard to make a performance vehicle that suits all the individuals that will use vehicle. i have driven a hand full of the MDCTs and they have performed well for me. I am not a professional driver, but a back road enthusiast, and again thank you for the info. i will see what we can do. by the way good description and it is appreciated. keep enjoying the car for now. nothing like blowing past lesser cars on corners
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 02:28 AM   #127
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwwr250f View Post
This will be forwarded to the powers to be.
Do you have some connections?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #128
bmwwr250f
Enlisted Member
Rep

MaybeG14 classified if i told you, well you know the rest.

Last edited by bmwwr250f; 07-27-2008 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #129
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Not to go OT, but the day my SA gives me any grief about me racing my //M is the day I bounce the manual off his forehead. Explain to him BMW stands behind me racing it so they can as well.

Then I will take all the sales literature and bounce that off his head. I don't give a sh*t what my dealer thinks, they don't like how I drive it they can call 1-800-GO FU** YOURSELVES. If they believe that I am hurting my car by doing what it was made to do I will politely drive it through the show room floor window. GOD, SO TIRED OF POS DEALERS.

Sorry for the OT rant........

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.

Last edited by e46e92love; 07-28-2008 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #130
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Not to go OT, but the say my SA gives me any grief about me racing my //M is the day I bounce the manual off his forehead. Explain to him BMW stands behind me racing it so they can as well.
Driving at a track is not racing. There is nothing in the manual about racing. Perhaps I missed the part where you were a BMW factory driver?
      07-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #131
LandShark
Got ///M??
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3, 08' 335xi, 06' LR3

another disappointed MDCT owner here!!

just took the car to the track the past 2 days (instructing). and had experienced the same downshift problem!! what happened to me or I found out is, it (MDCT) works perfect and fine for like 3-4 laps, then all in a sudden, it either won't allow me to downshift (5-4-3) OR it WILL downshift with a 2sec delay (5-3) when I right pass the apex by itself finally or I could try again after the apex, and it will downshift now....

I must say, I was very frustrated!! and very disappointed!!!

on my old e46 SMG, it works flawlessly at track!

BMWCCA New Jersey Chapter Instructor || Member since 1996
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #132
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Maybe more development time was required before production.
Appreciate 0