BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

01-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Should I go without Tech Package?

I have been looking at 2010 M3 Coupes the last 2 days. Initially, my only three must have options were DCT, Technology Package and 19" wheels. All the cars I saw (2 different dealers) that have Tech include many other options such Enhanced Premium Sound, Heated Seats, Upgraded Leather, etc. etc. increasing the price to $73,000, whereas a "stripped" model with DCT and 19's is like $66,000. One dealer even has some bullshit package already installed on all of their cars that includes Lo-Jack, paint protection, floormats etc. and it's $2,500. I don't care about any of that crap, I'll buy my own floormats if I have to.

Is the Technology Package really worth the extra money if it includes 5 other upgrades? Without the "M" button, can I adjust the Steering and Throttle Mapping? Any opinions? Thanks.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

def get the tech pkg, it just makes your life so much easier. IMO. you should just goto your local dealer and build one. you can save lots of money that way and get rid of option that you don't need. good luck!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
Is the Technology Package really worth the extra money if it includes 5 other upgrades? Without the "M" button, can I adjust the Steering and Throttle Mapping? Any opinions? Thanks.
No, you cannot adjust the steering without the Tech Package. While you still can have a "sport" throttle setting without the Tech. However, most current reviews find the steering and throttle mapping in stock as just about perfect.

I personally don't have the tech package and do not miss the "M" button or I Drive at all. It all comes down to personal preference, really not a performance issue at all really. The biggest performance improvement can be ordered separately and that's EDC.

Good luck, lots of us here without Tech and happy with a sleeker dash and simpler driver interface. Good luck on your quest!

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Get Tech Pack!!!!

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
I have been looking at 2010 M3 Coupes the last 2 days. Initially, my only three must have options were DCT, Technology Package and 19" wheels.
Just reread your post and must comment: EDC is really a must in any configuration, and the premium package is a nice upgrade.

Finally, if you want Nav without the Tech, here's my solution for mounting the Garmin Nuvi: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269580

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 X5 3.5D
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Thanks for all the tips. If I could find a car with just EDC, I would go for it. I really want Tech, just not all the other expensive options. I guess ordering a car is really the way to go, just can't stand waiting and I was trying to get in on the Holiday Cash which ends tomorrow. Only $1500 bucks, not much of a savings. I asked the salesman about the whole Lo-Jack crap, and he said it's already installed. I told him that I am not paying for it. We are still negotiating. Will know more tomorrow. Thanks again.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

tech package is a must even before prem package
      01-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Dealer/Salesman Usually Throws in the Floormats

Paint sealant and other dealer adds are just nonsense extra profit for the dealer. Current market won't support that stuff. Go to another dealer if you can't get them to play ball. You do know that 2011 model year starts in March?
      01-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
Paint sealant and other dealer adds are just nonsense extra profit for the dealer. Current market won't support that stuff. Go to another dealer if you can't get them to play ball. You do know that 2011 model year starts in March?
Yes, if you can wait, I would. There is good evidence that in March you will be able to order a new Competition package, which looks to have some nice goodies. Search this forum where your thread has been moved.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 X5 3.5D
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

First, I don't own the car so, my opinion is just so much hot air. Second, I am surprised that Nawaaz hasn't chimed in on this thread; he has a stripper M3 and is in love with the damned thing. Lastly, if you don't want to spend the money on the Tech Package, don't. You could still get EDC and a good set of springs.

Plus, after reading all the comments above, it seems that in all cases, the Tech Package is more of 'nice to have' and less of 'gotta have it'.

Oh, and one last thing... While the $1500 holiday cash incentive is a good thing; in your case, it's NOT a deal breaker if you don't get the car you want. I would wait for the 2011's in March.
      01-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
First, I don't own the car so, my opinion is just so much hot air. Second, I am surprised that Nawaaz hasn't chimed in on this thread; he has a stripper M3 and is in love with the damned thing. Lastly, if you don't want to spend the money on the Tech Package, don't. You could still get EDC and a good set of springs.

Plus, after reading all the comments above, it seems that in all cases, the Tech Package is more of 'nice to have' and less of 'gotta have it'.

Oh, and one last thing... While the $1500 holiday cash incentive is a good thing, in your case, it's NOT a deal breaker if you don't get the car you want. I would wait for the 2011's in March.
I'm HERE!!!

You're right!!! I absolutely love my stripped M3 which I special ordered!!

The only options I got are IB paint and the anti-theft alarm!!

I have no regrets!!! And my wife just got me a Garmin and that was the only thing I was missing, but now I have it. I'm horrible with directions so that Garmin is a LIFE SAVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Tech is a must. Some people say they don't want the tech package because they want the raw feel of the car, but the truth is that the E92 is nowhere near raw...compared to previous models it's actually pretty damn refined so you might as
well refine it even further with the tech package. The last raw M3 was the E46. That's just my opinion...

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I'm HERE!!!

You're right!!! I absolutely love my stripped M3 which I special ordered!!

The only options I got are IB paint and the anti-theft alarm!!

I have no regrets!!! And my wife just got me a Garmin and that was the only thing I was missing, but now I have it. I'm horrible with directions so that Garmin is a LIFE SAVER!
HE IS AWAKE,
I wouldn't go with the tech package. I love to get lost! Take the long drive back home in an E9X M3. what more can you ask for?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ ^
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #15
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
Just curious, did you order a stripped m3 because you didn't want to spend so much money because i remember you said you wanted to save the money for mods or did you really want a stripped m3 for performance reasons (less weight). Basically, would you order a stripped m3 again if you had all the money in the world.
I predict that Nawaaz's response will contain the following:

1). 'Yes'.
2). Said 'Yes' will be followed by an exclamation point, '!'.
3). Said 'Yes' will be in the largest font - they, 'grow 'em big' in Texas - bolded, italicized and underlined.
4). Possibly multi-hued for effect...

Here it comes...

01-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #16
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E92 M3 & 2018 X5

Tech package is a must.. and premium is a very nice touch-up.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #17
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
If you don't get tech package. You miss out on Sport Steering with from personal experience is a MUST. My god without, the regular steering is so light it can bug at times when you are not tired and want to drive aggressive.

Also, MDM is a MUST for the street unless you are pro driver.

Other then that you do get the goodies of the great idrive/navi (2009+), and EDC which is great in stock form or with dinan/eibach springs.

If you want to do coils, yes the downside is you lose the money you just invested in (about $1000) on EDC. But yeah, go for the tech package.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #18
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Tech is a must. Some people say they don't want the tech package because they want the raw feel of the car, but the truth is that the E92 is nowhere near raw...compared to previous models it's actually pretty damn refined so you might as
well refine it even further with the tech package. The last raw M3 was the E46. That's just my opinion...
I completely agree with this. The E46 was WAY more raw. The steering was PERFECT as it made it feel like a true sports car. So direct and the weight of it was perfect. The e46 m3 competition package was even better. The steering on the e92 m3 is pretty good, but feels way more refined and that could translate into it being dull. The Sport steering definitely helps it feel a bit more like a sports car. Just my 2 cents.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

No one has mentioned MDM yet, AFAIK.

What you really need to do, OP, is go drive an M3 with ZTP and an M3 without ZTP and compare. The things to contrast are:

- Steering: no sport steering in non-ZTP car. So make sure you try this out.
- Throttle: no Sport Plus throttle (Power) setting in a non-ZTP car. Unlikely you will care, but try it anyway.
- MDM: this one is actually the biggest one, IMHO. Put the car in MDM DSC mode and drive it hard. Now, turn off DSC and see if you are as willing to push the car (but don't wreck it please ). You lose MDM by not getting ZTP.
- M button: allows you to set all the adjustable settings via a single button press. A big deal for some. I think it is a shame that (most of) the settings aren't just available as key key dependent settings to begin with - that would make much more sense.
- CA: You can't get stand alone comfort access on an M3, you have to order ZTP to get it.

I don't have ZTP because I like single hump better and I also wanted to keep the cost down so that I could get a convertible for the price of a loaded e90/e92. I've driven a ZTP sedan on track and I admit MDM was a nice feature. I would add that to my car if I could. Everything else I didn't really find enhanced the experience. Of course, I drive a convertible, so no one cares about my opinions anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Consider also the resale value when you are deciding about the options... the fact of the matter is that, other than the MY2008 M3, any other MY M3 was drastically limited in production/sales in the USA.

Even if it sounds counterintuitive, the strippper/very few options '09/'10 M3s will be very few just because of the cut in production, and those will suffer at the time of resale.

Even if they are ordered that way by dealers they will pay in another way: there's a stripper (only M-DCT) 2010 M3 in one of my local dealers since late October (09/09 production) and still not sold, and the dealer is discounting some $8000 on that sucker (MSRP 63000 and change, $55000 take it or leave it) and still does not move.

The people that would like to buy a new/used stripper M3 are all here in the forum, the 4 of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
the 4 of them.
Hahahaha

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #22
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
Just curious, did you order a stripped m3 because you didn't want to spend so much money because i remember you said you wanted to save the money for mods or did you really want a stripped m3 for performance reasons (less weight). Basically, would you order a stripped m3 again if you had all the money in the world.
The saved money to apply on my mods is one reason, and I also didn't care for all the other options. I came from an Evo IX, so a stripped M3 is still pretty loaded to me. The other main reason is because my personality is very simple. Also, I'm a vegetarian, so I didn't want too much leather in my M3. Having a lighter M3 because of less options was not one of my main concerns, since I already knew that the e9x M3 was not a very light car out of the box. If I truly wanted lightweight, I would've stuck with my Evo.

If I had all the money in the world, I would still order my M3 the same way since it suits my personality perfectly: Sporty & simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
I predict that Nawaaz's response will contain the following:

1). 'Yes'.
2). Said 'Yes' will be followed by an exclamation point, '!'.
3). Said 'Yes' will be in the largest font - they, 'grow 'em big' in Texas - bolded, italicized and underlined.
4). Possibly multi-hued for effect...

Here it comes...

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Consider also the resale value when you are deciding about the options... the fact of the matter is that, other than the MY2008 M3, any other MY M3 was drastically limited in production/sales in the USA.

Even if it sounds counterintuitive, the strippper/very few options '09/'10 M3s will be very few just because of the cut in production, and those will suffer at the time of resale.

Even if they are ordered that way by dealers they will pay in another way: there's a stripper (only M-DCT) 2010 M3 in one of my local dealers since late October (09/09 production) and still not sold, and the dealer is discounting some $8000 on that sucker (MSRP 63000 and change, $55000 take it or leave it) and still does not move.

The people that would like to buy a new/used stripper M3 are all here in the forum, the 4 of them.
I plan to keep my M3 for a long while, and therefore the resale value was the least of my worries.

The main goal is for the owner/buyer to be completely happy with his/her M3.
Appreciate 0