BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Dremel with a soft wire brush to remove the paint. Rustoleum bbq high temp paint on the cans. Nothing else was done. It's been 5 months and looks as good as day 1.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Why do people chime in with unrelated info?
Professional Shills. Always waving the Akra pom poms no matter what the question is.

"...Hi, I was wondering which fabric softener was better,......?"

"Just get the Akra and call is a day"
OMG lol:
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #25
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Don't let anyone tell you the M Performance is fugly. I sprayed the cans and removed the inner tip paint for more visual pop. Just for a side by side comparison, here it is next to my buddy's sporting an AA which is a beautiful exhaust also.

Lookin Great!

I hope (just because of the $$$ factor) that the paint stays on my tips but seriously, without it looks awesome.

After swapping the exhaust today I must say, I really cannot believe how heavy the stock system is. It's insane. When choosing an exhaust, weight reduction should certainly be a factor.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #26
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
I have searched, but cant find a direct comparison. Looking for feedback on Dinan vs. the BMW Performance exhaust system.

My main concern is, is the BMW Performance system "too quiet" ?
I just had the M performance exhaust installed. The sound is nice and loud on full throttle but minimal otherwise. There is essentially no drone or at least it's at the same level of drone as the stock exhaust. I find that pretty amazing and i'm very pleased with it. The tips look great and seem bigger although its been measured as the same as stock.

Anyways, I'm in north county, so we could meet up at Carlsbad's cars and coffee wannabe meet if you want to hear it in person.
      11-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #27
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
The M Performance Exhaust is actually pretty tame from inside the car, but it's quite a difference over stock when standing outside of the car. There's a nice rumble at idle that just isn't there with stock. When you rev it in place, of course it roars, but the real music is when you're accelerating under load. Drive through a rocky canyon with your windows open to hear some lovely S65 music! One of these days I'm going to mount a camera on the back of the car for a TT run at the track.

(Personally I was a bit disappointed with the Dinan exhaust I heard on someone else's M3. However, the Dinan on the M5 is a wow.)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I've got the M Performance and sometimes wish it had a tad more volume but it's not a quiet exhaust by any means. It's a lot louder than stock when you get on it but not as loud as a "race" exhaust.

I think it looks a lot nicer than the Dinan.
What other exhausts did you consider? I would love to be able to hear some of these is person, most are in southern california though! So many choices it gives me a headache. I do agree that your M exhaust tips look great. I am not sold on the larger diameter tips of Akra and Gintani...
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #29
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

One of my favorite exhaust set ups is the dinan exhaust with their X-pipe. Sounds awesome at all rpms on the street and track.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #30
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaynemd View Post
What other exhausts did you consider? I would love to be able to hear some of these is person, most are in southern california though! So many choices it gives me a headache. I do agree that your M exhaust tips look great. I am not sold on the larger diameter tips of Akra and Gintani...
I considered a bunch, only exhaust's though. I'm not interested in xpipes/cat deletes. The M Perf. was my first and I'm really happy with it. I was curious about something a bit louder so I tried an E. Race and AA Signature. Both sounded awesome, they both compliment the engine and really sound fitting for the car...they had a bit of drone though so I went back to the M Perf. I'm drone sensitive so the M Perf works great. I haven't considered any other "Sport" mufflers since they'd be in the same ballpark volume as the M Perf.

Painting the cans and removing the inner pipe paint really transformed the visual of the M Perf for me. Nothing else out there is tempting me at the moment.

I occasionally get together with L4ces, he's got the AA Signature. If you'd like to hear our cars maybe we could meet sometime.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #31
drakar99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 coupe,DCT, Perf. exh

I have had the BMW Performance exhaust for several months and love it. The sound is great (loud). I now ride with windows open to enjoy it more...even when it is 90 degrees here in S FL.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #32
J-boogey
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi Msport

has anyone ran the bmw PE exhaust w an aftermarket x-pipe like (challenge) ?
2013 F30 335i xdrive | Estoril Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Aluminum Hexagon trim | M-Sport | Cold weather | DHP | Premium package | Tech package | Harmon Kardon | PDC | Rearview Cam | IND Painted reflectors | BMW performance grills | JB4 stage 2 | ER downpipe | BMS Intake | H&R sport springs
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #33
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

One upside of the performance exhaust is you can remove the can and run with just the connecting pipes so the exhaust exits well behind the diff and half shafts. I don't recommend it on the street...