BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #89
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
There are lots of different rumors about the weight of the front seatings.
I read in one forum : 31,48kg each one. But one friend from an Italian forum weighed the seating and the result was almost 34 kg (75 lbs!!) each one.
The performance ones seem to be lighter : around 24,5 kg each one (54,4 lbs).But from a German catalogue it seems that they declare only 3 kg less (6,6lbs) for each seating. I think we need an help for the translation from a German friend...:-)
It would be good to nail down the weight numbers for the stock and performance seats. South to the rescue!
      07-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #90
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenF1 View Post
When BMW makes a TTV8 M3 I will buy one Jet. Modding a turbo is much easier than modding a n/a car and with much better results. Id love to see what a chipped TTV8 would do. But until you see this chip on many cars and several different dynos maybe you should keep your mouth shut about 335's.
Well that all depends on how you look at things. It certainly appears in most cases that a TT is less expensive to mod, but IMO (and I have done this) an NA engine has so much potential since at the end of the day you can go for a stroker engine or switch to low compression cylinders and TT the car. I bought a custom made TTV8 from AMG that makes 700bhp and similar torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxx26 View Post
That's a little un-called for.

Anyway BMW MEXICO that is one sweet ride. Keep up the great work.
Thank for all the compliments, I will keep the info flowing!!!!

Quote:
There are lots of different rumors about the weight of the front seatings.
I read in one forum : 31,48kg each one. But one friend from an Italian forum weighed the seating and the result was almost 34 kg (75 lbs!!) each one.
The performance ones seem to be lighter : around 24,5 kg each one (54,4 lbs).But from a German catalogue it seems that they declare only 3 kg less (6,6lbs) for each seating. I think we need an help for the translation from a German friend...:-)
If the weight saving are similer to these that would be super great!!!!! Thanks for posting and hope SOUTH can give is a hand here
      07-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #91
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
It would be good to nail down the weight numbers for the stock and performance seats. South to the rescue!
Hahaha!!! Yep, someone PM him so he can help!!
      07-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #92
arr0gant
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW_M3 View Post
and i have to say this mexico.. its one of the best lookin M3 ive seen
It IS the BEST looking M3 I've ever seen!!!

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #93
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
The description says:
"Modern and light sports seat reduces weight compared to the standard seat (3kg per seat)."

Anyway this description is not M specific. So it would be good to know which 'standard seat' was considered for this comparison. Anything tells me a standard seat weighs less than the M3 seat (i.e. power seats not being standard in all models).

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #94
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The description says:
"Modern and light sports seat reduces weight compared to the standard seat (3kg per seat)."

Anyway this description is not M specific. So it would be good to know which 'standard seat' was considered for this comparison. Anything tells me a standard seat weighs less than the M3 seat (i.e. power seats not being standard in all models).

Best regards, south
Thanks South. Yes, the 3kg per seat reduction sounds like a very conservative statement, probably as compared with a bare bones manually operated 1-series seat.
      07-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #95
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Wow, the torque curve is even flatter! Significant improvement at mid-range.

A few questions:

1. The list of drivetrain mods that were installed before the modded dyno run.
2. The "loss factor" entered into the dyno so that we can calculate whp and wtq.
3. When exactly the two runs were done? (dates and mileage on the car)
4. Ambient temp, pressure, humidity during the two runs? (we can figure this out from the dates and location if you don't have it)
5. Were the runs done on the same dyno?

Many thanks for posting the info!
Here are the answers:

Loss factor: 14%
Ambient temperature: 21°C
Pressure: 1024 mb
Humidity: 32%

Runs made on the same dyno the same day.

07-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #96
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The description says:

Best regards, south
Thanks a bunch South, yes 3kg seems conservative and God know what they mean by standard seat.
      07-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #97
Pimp Star
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Thanks a bunch South, yes 3kg seems conservative and God know what they mean by standard seat.
Seconded.

M-Seats? Sport's Seats? Regular Seats? Power? Manual?

Also, you have the nicest M3! Those are impressive results and I cannot wait for the future.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #98
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Absolutely amazing what you have done with the car. Best combo for looks and performance. But can only imagine how much $$$$$$$$ spent. Because I know how much I've spent WOW.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #99
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
awesome
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #100
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are the answers:

Loss factor: 14%
Ambient temperature: 21°C
Pressure: 1024 mb
Humidity: 32%

Runs made on the same dyno the same day.

Thanks for the answers.

At 14% loss, that would indicate the following:

361 whp Stock
401 whp Modded

Since you said they are already corrected for the conditions below, the weather info is irrelevant. You're seeing about 10% gain at the wheels, and you'll feel that.

Nice!

Finally, do you know what kind of dyno was used? Dynojet?

Last edited by lucid; 07-26-2008 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #101
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

I took out a seat to access a woofer. I'd say it's around 50lbs.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #102
arr0gant
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

Quote:
Let's not ruin this great thread by jacking it. You should start your own thread.
+1, go somewhere else.

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #103
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the answers.

Based on the conditions, I calculated a 0.961 correction factor.

At 14% loss, that would indicate the following:

Uncorrected:
361 whp Stock
401 whp Modded

Corrected:
347 whp Stock
385 whp Modded

Either way, you're seeing about 10% gain at the wheels, and you'll feel that.

Nice!

Finally, do you know what kind of dyno was used? Dynojet?
That makes total sense to me, we are in Mexico City at an altitude of about 2,300 meters above sea level (8,000 feet more or less). I presume this is why there is such a large loss factor, yes? This is also where the car was dynoed. Thanks for the numbers Lucid.
      07-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #104
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
I took out a seat to access a woofer. I'd say it's around 50lbs.
Wow!!!! 50lbs each seat? Or both subs?
      07-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #105
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Probably it is only a stupid idea....but why not to post a video showing the
tachometer and the acceleration between 50/60-130 mph or more and let us see how many seconds it takes? we can speak all the time about your results but since you feel a big change and the power is sure present into your car, it would be very simple to show the differences and convince everyone.I personally beleive in your report. This report is now discussed also in Italy in a similar Forum. And in many different Forums, there are some skepticals (it is absolutely normal)..so why not to show the results in a way that could convince many of them?
This is not a disrespect against you, simply it is an idea. I have seen on youtube many videos, similar to this idea..
and it is very simple with a clock, to see how many seconds it takes from a speed to another. Sure someone more expert than me could suggest from which speed to another to make this test. Probably not starting from zero, since more difficult. This is only an idea.
I am sure that 46 hp would have a releavant increase in performance...
Just an example of the idea:

Last edited by savage.ulm1; 07-26-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #106
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That makes total sense to me, we are in Mexico City at an altitude of about 2,300 meters above sea level (8,000 feet more or less). I presume this is why there is such a large loss factor, yes? This is also where the car was dynoed. Thanks for the numbers Lucid.
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed you were at sea level, but I should have asked since I don't know where the test was done, so the numbers I posted are off then. The adjusted numbers should actually be higher than what was measured during your dyno run, but when I use 7500 feet, the correction factor goes all the way up to 1.33, which can't be the case really (your car can't be putting down that much power in stock form). I assumed the 1024 mb pressure figure you posted is barometric pressure, and not absolute pressure. If it is absolute pressure, then I am using the wrong number.

This is the calculator I am using:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/relhumhpcalc.html

Another explanation is that the reported numbers are already corrected for the test conditions. If that's the case, just ignore the corrected numbers I posted.
      07-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #107
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Probably it is only a stupid idea....but why not to post a video showing the
tachometer and the acceleration between 50/60-130 mph or more and let us see how many seconds it takes? we can speak all the time about your results but since you feel a big change and the power is sure present into your car, it would be very simple to show the differences and convince everyone.I personally beleive in your report. This report is now discussed also in Italy in a similar Forum. And in many different Forums, there are some skepticals (it is absolutely normal)..so why not to show the results in a way that could convince many of them?
This is not a disrespect against you, simply it is an idea. I have seen on youtube many videos, similar to this idea..
and it is very simple with a clock, to see how many seconds it takes from a speed to another. Sure someone more expert than me could suggest from which speed to another to make this test. Probably not starting from zero, since more difficult. This is only an idea.
I am sure that 46 hp would have a releavant increase in performance...
Just an example of the idea:

No disrespect taken at all!! But I don't feel compelled to drive around (or honestly have the time) with a recorder at such speeds and record all the brouhaha!! Sorry! If some don’t believe, its up to them really. I should also add that in Mexico city we lose about 25% of the power anyway cause of the altitude etc...

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed you were at sea level, but I should have asked since I don't know where the test was done, so the numbers I posted are off then. The adjusted numbers should actually be higher than what was measured during your dyno run, but when I use 7500 feet, the correction factor goes all the way up to 1.33, which can't be the case really (your car can't be putting down that much power in stock form). I assumed the 1024 mb pressure figure you posted is barometric pressure, and not absolute pressure. If it is absolute pressure, then I am using the wrong number.

This is the calculator I am using:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/relhumhpcalc.html

Another explanation is that the reported numbers are already corrected for the test conditions. If that's the case, just ignore the corrected numbers I posted.
I was told they were corrected, I was just making a point but honestly don't know how to calculations are made and thought that may have been a different variable. Sorry for the mixup!
      07-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #108
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was told they were corrected, I was just making a point but honestly don't know how to calculations are made and thought that may have been a different variable. Sorry for the mixup!
That makes sense then. I'll delete the part of the post on corrected values so it doesn't confuse people.
      07-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #109
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
BBK and these seats ordered from BMW peformance are also on there way!!!! These seats are not sold in the USA or Canada since they are not DOT approved for some reason.
Damn...I like. Being as I am in the good ole USA and can't get these, maybe you can buy them for me then ship them up here! :-)

How much did they cost ya?
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #110
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Damn...I like. Being as I am in the good ole USA and can't get these, maybe you can buy them for me then ship them up here! :-)

How much did they cost ya?
They are $31,250 pesos each with taxes and everything. A tad over $3 thousand each. Be happy to help you out, but maybe you can get them for less directly in Europe. I think its well worth it since they do have the side impact air bag and are made to fit etc..., etc... Let me know!!