BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #23
Schumacher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The example of piss-poor decisions was the decision to buy SAAB in the first place. That's partially what killed GM; trying to save crap car companies like SAAB.
Really?

I wonder what led them to pay $600 million for 50% (in 1989) of such a crap company instead of getting it for free. Typical American noob.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #24
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
Really?

I wonder what led them to pay $600 million for 50% (in 1989) of such a crap company instead of getting it for free. Typical American noob.
I think they were swayed by Ford buying Volvo - to get their own Euro-Luxury brand under their wing.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #25
Schumacher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToolGuy View Post
I think they were swayed by Ford buying Volvo - to get their own Euro-Luxury brand under their wing.

Have Fun,
Rick
Yeah. They were just trying to keep up with the Joneses. Ford beat them in bidding for Jaguar only weeks earlier and they must have been under pressure to buy up some of the remaining small car makers that were available.

One thing that set Ford apart was the care they took to provide Volvo with the latest in platform tech (Off roaders, Folding Hardtop's, AWD options and R models). Saab never got such attention and had to make do with old tech (same 9-5 model for 13 years, etc.)
Appreciate 0