E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > e90 creak noise - what do you think?

05-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
bobbba
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport (E90)

Unhappy e90 creak noise - what do you think?

Please please can you help. I've had my 06 e90 320d m sport for 3 years and about a year ago it started making the noise when being unlocked that you can hear in the video clip below.

The car makes the noise when it is unlocked after being left for a while. It doesn't do it if left unless left for a while. It sounds like it's coming from under the front of the car. It usually happens just after unlock is pressed. I have wondered if it's a suspension/steering/shock absorber problem caused by the car slightly shifting weight after left.

I guess some would say it's not a big deal or expectable with a 5 year old car and If you feel that way then fair enough and maybe you're right. for me though I find it really annoying on a car that is otherwise great so I finally asked my local dealer to take a look while it was in for it's mot and service. When I did this I took great care to explain at length the above and played back the clip to the service guy.

The dealer had the car in for a day and then told me that they had found the problem and that it was the door lock which they charged me £170 for. Only problem was that when I went to pick up the car the very first thing it did when I unlocked it was made the noise so I left the car with them again.

After another day with them they told me the noise is the turbo preparing for the car to be started and many older cars make this noise. They said that there is nothing wrong with the car and that it's just cosmetic and that there's nothing to replace to fix it. This confuses me because the car didn't make it for the first year that I had the car and I have never heard of anything like it elsewhere. I get the feeling that they didn't even try and have just palmed me off. They've also told me that the engineer only initially heard the door lock noise and it was on it's way out so they were right to replace the door lock.

Please can you help if you've ever heard anything like it or even better if you've had the problem and fixed it.

Any help massively appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport

Garage List
i had it on my 320d which was a 56 plate and never found out what it was just put it down to the car doing something fancy.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
bobbba
Enlisted Member
Rep

If the embedded clip does not work please use this link: http://youtu.be/qCl7bCSvfwc
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
"Turbo doing something before the engine is started" what a lot of bollocks how do they think the general public are gullible enough to believe that tripe!
      05-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
"Turbo doing something before the engine is started" what a lot of bollocks how do they think the general public are gullible enough to believe that tripe!
Not saying you're wrong, but might the EMS wiggle the turbo actuator on startup to check the servo positioning? (I have no idea if it does this or not but it doesn't seem insane)

My 330D makes all kinds of (quiet) noises when I wake it up - from fuel pump priming to AC shutters moving around.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
pumaboy2000
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d SE auto

My 55 plate 320d does the same thing. Only had the car a few months and it's always done it. Never had it checked out though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
bobbba
Enlisted Member
Rep

Interesting to hear that others have the same problem. Just a shame that no one's found a cure!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Exotica
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: People Mad
Location: The British Empire. Where The Sun Never Sets On Us.

My Seven series did the same, just got use to it in the end.