BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #67
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Frankly.. having driven auto and manual versions of the same car(different car, same concept), I don't notice a difference in acceleration.

if anything, the manual version feels faster, and maybe that's because there's less drivetrain loss which may not be strictly relevent in my comparison..
Dude, what? It's not the same concept at all. You were comparing a traditional automatic to a manual. We are comparing a dual clutch computer controlled manual transmission with seven gears to a six speed manual. In this case the transmission choice very much changes the character of the car.

Even E46 M3 SMG vs. 6 spd shows major differences. In that case it's actually the same transmission and clutch. I own one of both, they are nearly completely different driving experiences.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #68
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderbilt View Post
Dude, what? It's not the same concept at all. You were comparing a traditional automatic to a manual. We are comparing a dual clutch computer controlled manual transmission with seven gears to a six speed manual. In this case the transmission choice very much changes the character of the car.

Even E46 M3 SMG vs. 6 spd shows major differences. In that case it's actually the same transmission and clutch. I own one of both, they are nearly completely different driving experiences.
Smg is more of a true Manual than dct and is not a fair comparison. Remember that the dct has 7 gears rather than 6. The smg was essentially a hydraulic 6 speed. Even the e60 m5 got a 7 speed smg
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #69
lolwut
The debater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

Quote:

I'll defer to your experience, as I havent had the chance to compare it in the cars in question. All I can draw upon are my experiences with the 6L80/90E, the O1E/O1A and the TR6060, so It wouldn't be too presumptuous to say I'm a bit out of my depth.

What specificly would you say is faster or better? These are very broad terms we're using.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #70
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
I'll defer to your experience, as I havent had the chance to compare it in the cars in question. All I can draw upon are my experiences with the 6L80/90E, the O1E/O1A and the TR6060, so It wouldn't be too presumptuous to say I'm a bit out of my depth.

What specificly would you say is faster or better? These are very broad terms we're using.
DCT can perform upshifts in 8ms. That's not a typo. You get the seamless seamless acceleration of an automatic without the torque convertor loss.

Why is it faster?
- Shifts far faster than any human
- No perceivable loss of acceleration while shifting gears
- No time to release clutch off the line
- Perfect launch every time
- Shorter gears and seven of them

Why is is better?
- Objectively is is better
- Subjectively I and some others prefer manual despite the technological superiority of DCT, but it's been debated to death already.

For my preferences, 6MT -> SMG -> DCT. Who doesn't like a nice kick in the face at redline while shifting? I actually want seamless shifts in a car I am driving for fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #71
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
DCT can perform upshifts in 8ms. That's not a typo. You get the seamless seamless acceleration of an automatic without the torque convertor loss.

Why is it faster?
- Shifts far faster than any human
- No perceivable loss of acceleration while shifting gears
- No time to release clutch off the line
- Perfect launch every time
- Shorter gears and seven of them

Why is is better?
- Objectively is is better
- Subjectively I and some others prefer manual despite the technological superiority of DCT, but it's been debated to death already.

For my preferences, 6MT -> SMG -> DCT. Who doesn't like a nice kick in the face at redline while shifting? I actually want seamless shifts in a car I am driving for fun.

The biggest factor making it feel faster is that it's a 7 speed. Shorter gearing makes for a quicker ride
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #72
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
In case anyone missed it, I opted to keep my 2011 DCT.

My question about the change was not soley a DCT vs Manual decision. In my mind, it included getting the very last year V8 M3, the exterior color change, interior color change, a new option (BMW Apps) as well as the transmission change.

But again, I do thank you guys for helping me with my choice.
      12-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #73
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post

My question about the change was not soley a DCT vs Manual decision. In my mind, it included getting the very last year V8 M3, the exterior color change, interior color change, a new option (BMW Apps) as well as the transmission change.

You made the right choice. BTW you can always retrofit BMW Apps via coding, do a search. "The last year V8" is going to drive, look and sound the same as the one you already have
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #74
Ash boy
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Hi I have got a manual 2008 m3 (in Black) and it is great i would not swap it for a DCT model because i think a manual is a proper drivers car ??? and the DCT is great on a track but you cant beat the manual on the road !!!!

Love your black car
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #75
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Give your car a pat on the roof, it's blower time!

DCT/Jet Black here as well, but I kept mine stock externally, I like the contrast between the paint color and the silver wheels and grill, personal thing. In my opinion AW has been overdone with the M3. It looks great, but wouldn't justify trading in my book. As far as the DCT goes, I had an MT in a previous E90 and I was disappointed, DCT seemed to be a good match for the E92 M3. So far I still really like it, but I might go back to a manual one day if the car was designed for it, e.g. 1M.
The 1M is a parts bin special using whatever was available (135i powertrain and E9x M3 chassis) so making out that it was designed for its manual transmission is a pushing things a bit. So was the 135i.

The main purposes of the 1M were to get an M car further down the price ladder, and more to the point, break down resistance to the I6 turbo concept for the next gen M3.

I did not feel that the 1M transmission was anything special and suspect that the shift knob is a big part of any perceived improvement.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #76
MattE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

why dont you get a black one in MT?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #77
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
If Im posting a thread like this and asking you crazy guys what you think; then Im not 100% commited to begin with now am I?
This is really close to the advice I was going to give you

If you were a die hard MT fan, then you would have sold our car a long time ago and made the switch.

Before I purchased/ordered my car I was searching for a SG with MT and Comp Pack and I found many SG w/ DCT and Comp Pack and I didn't buy them. I knew I could never live with DCT, so I ordered one from factory and waited for a couple months.

You know the answer in your heart, just listen to it. I'm perfectly happy with my MT. I'm not tracking her, I don't hit much traffic so I don't need DCT.
      12-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #78
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

+1 on MT
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #79
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

+2 on MT

I think when the F30 will come out it will inevitably have something better replacement to the DCT and maybe a CVT twin turbo. In any way the E92 will take a pretty big plunge when the full story comes out on the F30. I am not talking about the engine block. As we know that's the one part the E92 has that the F30 will not be able to take away. But DCT, brakes and the such... you bet they will look old and less desirable.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #80
Nathane91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 msport

Spray ur black m3 white if that's what you want will be a lot cheaper
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #81
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

mineral white and fox red is a beautiful combination. it does not look like a candy cane!

now this is a candy cane car:

picture sharing
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #82
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:

Good decision. This is simply not the right car to get in manual. If you want a stick, buy a Porsche or an older generation m3. The e92 m3 and dct are a perfect match. As I noted before, having a 2008 e92 manual I was constantly looking for a way out of the car. Don't get me wrong, it was fun to drive, almost any manual is fun to drive but the transmission did not feel right in that car. Dct on the other hand takes full advantage of the high revving v8 in the way the manual never could. Trust me, you made the right decision, don't even think twice about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #83
oregon335iowner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35D

I have a manual 2008 e92 and most days i wish i had the DCT. The shifts with the DCT are just brutally crisp.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #84
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlam View Post
mineral white and fox red is a beautiful combination. it does not look like a candy cane!
I think the combination of white and red is one of the most nauseating clashes of two shades you could put together. However clearly I am in the minority as it is one of the most popular color choices -- pretty much seems to be just me.

De gustibus non est disputandum
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #85
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The 1M is a parts bin special using whatever was available (135i powertrain and E9x M3 chassis) so making out that it was designed for its manual transmission is a pushing things a bit. So was the 135i.

The main purposes of the 1M were to get an M car further down the price ladder, and more to the point, break down resistance to the I6 turbo concept for the next gen M3.

I did not feel that the 1M transmission was anything special and suspect that the shift knob is a big part of any perceived improvement.
I never drove a 1M but read somewhere that it was a better manual trans. than what the E9x is equipped with. Should have fact checked, my bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #86
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Yes, FR is fox red. I thought about doing all black interior on the white one, but it just looks so bland to me. I currently have black interior with the fox red two tone and I think it looks nice.
WOO HOO! LOL.
It's all opinion: I still love my ext. FR. It's not a 'loud' red. I really enjoying changing gears. For track DCT can't be beaten, though.

Rather than roll to another E92 w/ 6MT I'd do a Carrera + 7MT.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #87
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
It sounds as if you have a manual you can't drive it on the track. You can track your car if you have a manual as well. It's all about how much fun you have. You're never going to be the fastest one out there and you certainly won't be the last one out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #88
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

OP. I thinking of doing the same thing and replacing my 2011. My only problem is I love the color but such a bitch to keep clean.

In reference to the manual it the best thing ever. It will feel slower but the satisfaction of always changing gears is priceless.

GL with your decision.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0